Calling All Reviewers!

  • Anglachel Gurthang
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29 5:51 PM
      We need reviewers!

      As usually happens at this time of the year, HASA has had a surge of
      stories submitted for review over the last few weeks. There has been
      at least one story submitted every day in October. The Review Admins
      have sent out a call asking for HASA members who are reviewers to
      please log in and review a story or two to help cut down the backlog.

      In particular, there are several novel length works in need of
      reviewers. These are more challenging stories as they often take a few
      days to read through and think over. Most of our readers prefer
      shorter works that can be finished in a single sitting. Please, if you
      have the time and the interest to take on the big stories, we
      definitely need you!

      Without mentioning story names or authors, here is what we have:

      * 3 novel length works, ranging from 43,500 up to 63,300 words.
      For those of you into epics, here are three to sink your teeth into.
      Our novel length stories have been sitting the longest and one is in
      danger of timing out - going over the official 45 day review limit.
      Please help give these longer works a good read.
      * 4 multi-chapter works that are not quite novel length. The
      shortest is 3,600+ words, the longest is 10,900+. Multi-chapter
      stories are sometimes shorter than single chapter works. Be sure to
      check the word count on the overview page.
      * 12 single chapter stories, ranging from a few hundred words to a
      9,000+ short story.

      For those of you who are Elf Fanciers (pervy or otherwise) there
      appear to be a large number of elf-centric stories, about ten of them.
      There are several Fellowship works and five that are focus on men.
      There are some humor offerings, a few dramas, a couple of romances,
      and several general works.

      Are you a reviewer?

      If you have been a member of HASA for at least 30 days and are a
      Writers Workshop level member, you are elegible to be a reviewer. What
      does it take to be a reviewer?

      * Love for the genre
      * A reasonable grasp of the basic rules of English grammar and syntax
      * Familiarity with some part of the Tolkien canon (LotR or the
      Hobbit or Silm or HoMe). It is not presumed that you are an expert.
      * A willingness to read a complete work with an open mind, and to
      make a judgement about its quality

      If you are a logged in member, you can read the review criteria and
      guidelines In the Reviews section. Click on the "Sections" button,
      click "Reviews" in the menu, then look for "Review Criteria" in the
      left-hand menu once you are in reviews. It explains the capsule
      decisions you choose from when making a decision about a story, and
      provides some guidelines of how to think about a story.

      If you would like to review, go to My Stuff/ My Profile/ Reviewer
      Status. If you are a Readers Club level member, you will have to
      upgradeyour membership (Don't worry! It doesn't cost anything and you
      can do it with a click.) and then activate your status. A Writers
      Workshop lelvel member can activate at once. The activation is
      effective immediately and you can begin reviewing that very minute.
      There is a link from the Reviewer Status page to the list of stories
      in review.

      If you change your mind about reviewing, simply click to deactivate
      your status. You can reactivate at any time.

      What are reviews?

      Reviews on HASA are like the ultimate challenge. Authors submit
      stories to the review process. The stories are pulled out of sight and
      are available only to reviewers. No obvious identifying information is
      allowed in the story, such as the author's name or links to other
      works, and the stories are as anonymous as possible. Nine reviewers
      will choose a story at random from the review list. No reviewer knows
      who the other reviewers are. They read the story and vote "Accept" or
      "Decline". They have to provide a "capsule comment" which identifies
      the biggest reason for their decision, and can provide optional
      comments to the author if they desire.

      Five or more Accept votes and the story becomes generally available to
      the public. Five or more Decline votes, and the story is returned to
      the author. The ratio of accepts to declines has remained steady over
      the last four years. 60% of submissions are accepted and 40% are
      declined. While we don't have exact figures, a significant number of
      works that are declined the first time they are submitted are
      reworked, resubmitted and accepted at a later date.

      Even so, it is not a sure thing for a work to be accepted. Authors
      have to put in additional effort, go over the stories with a
      fine-toothed comb, and then have to wait for an outcome. This is what
      each public story has gone through. This is another reason we
      encourage our readers to post a comment or send an email to an author.
      A lot of work has gone into every story to provide you with the best
      fanfic experience around.