September 2006 at HASA

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2006

      New Navigation

      When a site changes, it can be disconcerting to try to find where things have moved to. Most ofthe time, they are actually in the same place, but the navigation buttons and menus will have changed. Sometimes it isn't clear how to get to new pages. Other times, you wonder where older pages have gone to.

      For the last few weeks, we've been studying heat maps of where people are clicking on the home page and the main story page in an effort to understand what HASA visitors want.

      What's a heat map? It is an image of a page with an overlay, usually in grey, that holds bright spots where people click most often. It's a fast way to understand how people get from here to there.

      In light of the heat map, there are some changes to the navigation.

      Please read the following "Helpful Hints" carefully!

      Top Level Navigation

      The biggest change is to the top buttons. It appears that most users did not understand these were buttons. Also, many users said they didn't know how to find the My Stuff main page after they logged in - they apparently did not know that clicking on the Sections button would get them a menu of all site sections. So, the main navigation bar was beefed up:

      • A My Stuff  button with a treasure chest icon was added to draw attention to it.
      • All buttons were centered on the page.
      • The edges of the buttons were adjusted to make them look like Front Page clip art.
      • The buttons spaces were made wider and deeper to take up more room on the page.
      • The buttons flash a bright green border when you mouse over them.
      My Stuff Menu

      When you click on the My Stuff button, you will see a different menu depending on whether you are logged in or not, and if you are a Readers Club members or part of the Writing Workshop.

      • Not logged in – You can see a link to the My Stuff Home Page, a link for retrieving your password, and a link to join HASA if you aren't a member.
      • Logged in, Readers Club – You now get the main links for your library and profile information. Click on the My Stuff Home link to go to that section and see the full menu choices.
      • Logged in, Writers Workshop– You get all of the Readers Club menu, plus an additional chunk to take you to your stories and various Writers Workshop toys and tools.
      When in doubt, click to My Stuff Home and read the left-hand menu on the main page.

      If you are an author (a member of the Writers Workshop), click the My Stories menu and do the same thing checking the My Stuff Home menu first. Some links previously on the My Stories area are now located in My Stuff, such as comments, so please check both locations before sending in emails asking where stuff has gone.

      Sections Menu

      Just as with My Stuff, when you click on the Sections menu, the menu changes depending on whether you are logged in and what your membership status is.

      • Not logged in – Basic menu of links to stories, challenges, and news.
      • Logged in, Readers Club – The same menu, but clicking on My Stuff – Readers Club with show you the full page.
      • Logged in, Writers Workshop – All of the links you used to get after going into the old Members area, in the same order as they always were. Please, look at the Sections menu carefully. Chances are that what you want is right there.
      Stories Left-hand Menu

      Something new is that General and Beta status stories are now available in the public story pages - if you are logged in.

      Readers Club members can see all Reviewed and General Status stories, while members of the Writers Workshop can see Beta stories, too. Everyone, members and visitors, can read the Reviewed stories that show up on the main Stories page.

      When you are logged in, you can see links to General and Beta stories just above the My Library submenu. General and Beta works show up:

      • General Stories
      • Beta Stories
      • Stories by Author
      • Stories by Title
      • Story Sort
      • Keyword Search
      • Recommended
      The only place they do not show up is the main Stories page, which is reserved for Reviewed stories.

      Click and Look

      Just about everything you are used to getting on HASA is available through either the My Stuff or the Sections menus.

      Click, look, and explore! And if you want to take a look at screencaps to illustrate these changes, please read this announcement at HASA News: New Navigation!

      September Stories

      Autumn is a great time for reading, and there are great new stories here at HASA for your reading pleasure!

      Many people read "The Lord of the Rings" once a year. And many of them seem to start reading the books again in autumn, round about the time when the Hobbits set out from the Shire. So if you are getting ready to follow in the footsteps of the Fellowship once more, here are some story suggestions to help you with the preparations for the journey.

      The latest additions to the Public Archive are:

      • "Was it for this?" by Alawa:
        Aragorn at Arathorn's grave. (First posted for the onlist Memorial Day Challenge May 03.)

      • "Free and Gay" by Marta:
        Some soldiers of Gondor celebrate Yule at Cair Andros. (Warning: mild slash themes, though nothing explicit.)

      • "Dear Diary" by Lily:
        Primula kept a diary during the time of her pregnancy and the first months with her newborn child.
      Or take a look at the latest published Challenge! The August 2006 Birthday Challengeis something really special: here you can find collections of drabbles and ficlets that our members have written as birthday gifts for fellowHASA-members.

      If you are a member of the Readers Club, we can offer you still more stories to read. Because members of the Readers Club can read all stories in the General Stories section of the HASA Writers Workshop!

      New in the General Stories section are:

      • "A Ranger's Love" by MiniFruitbat:
        A nameless Ranger's love is blind.

      • "Interlude in Lothlórien" by oshun:
        Thisis a snippet/vignette taken from a chapter of a current WIP that really fits this picture for the Art Challenge. An intimate moment. (Adult is probably an overly cautious rating for this piece, implied adult content only.) Adult!

      • "In Dreams" by Gilnaur:
        An elleth has a series of dreams in which she encounters a mysterious lover. At the same time an elf has the same dreams. The question is whois actually dreaming? Only one? Or both? And what happens when they both actually meet. Adult!

      Members of the Writers Workshop can read even more stories: they have access to out Beta status stories. And that are great stories, too! In the Beta Stories section works-in-progress and drafts are waiting for constructive criticism aka"concrit" by our members to get even better. Most recently updated inthe Beta stories section are:

      If you are a member of the HASA Writers Workshop, you are an important part of the HASA writers' community. You have the opportunity to help making our stories shine! Even short comments about the stories in the Beta Stories section are invaluable feedback for authors. If you have a bit more time, why don't you visit an author's forum, to see if there's a discussion going on about her current WIP? That way you can contribute to make HASA a really special place!

      Happy reading and easy navigating at HASA this week -

      Your
      HASA admin team

      It's easy to stay up-to-date with HASA! Visit the HASA News page to read the general news and to take a look at the overviews of all the current news items. Log in for Readers Club and Writers Workshop news. Get an RSS feed for the HASA news articles and never miss an announcement! Visit the HASA lj-community at hasalj or sign up at the HASA News Yahoo Group to get the news in a compact format. It's easy to stay up-to-date with HASA - and how you do it, is completely your choice!