GT: Guyanese-born Lynette Phillips, OBE - Congratulations!!

  • C F
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Guyanese Lynette Phillips awarded OBE

      Tuesday, July 24th 2007

      Lynette Phillips

      Guyanese-born Lynette Phillips, nee Peters, former teacher of Hague and Providence primary schools was awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE) on May 16.

      The award, handed over by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II was in recognition for her unwavering dedication to health care.

      Phillips began her training as a nurse in 1968 in London, and steadily worked her way up through a number of positions in the National Health Service (NHS). She served as midwife, health visitor, community practice teacher in health visiting and a business and quality manager.

      Speaking of the honour she had received, Phillips said, "I am indeed thrilled and humbled. I know that I had worked very hard in the National Health Service, London, for a number of years, but when something like this happens, when you are unprepared, you do have that element of surprise. I hope that this honour will serve to inspire others and show them that in whatever you do there's scope for recognition."

      Along with her extensive work in the NHS, Phillips holds a Masters Degree in Business Administration and a Diploma in Management Studies. She is the Chairperson of the London Black and Ethnic Minority Network for the NHS staff and allied health professionals. At present, she is an independent management consultant in Morden, Surrey.

      Phillips, formerly of 24 Savage Street, East La penitence, Georgetown, received her early education at the St Stephen's Primary School, and Chatham High School, Georgetown.

      After leaving Secondary School, Phillips who is the wife of Carlos Phillips of Barbados, worked in Guyana as a teacher at the Hague Back Primary School, Hague, West Coast Demerara, and the Providence Primary School, East Bank Demerara.

      On hand to celebrate with Phillips at the award ceremony were her sister Jean Baptiste, retired headmistress, West Ruimveldt Primary School; and her brothers Charles and Carlton Peters of the US and London respectively.

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!