roadblocks on the spiritual path - part 8

  • gur_mukhs
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2005
      8. Sikh Initiation Makes You Amritdhari

      This is another big illusion that the masses are living in that the
      moment anybody takes the Khandy Ki Pahul (Sikh Inititation ceremony)
      becomes a Amritdhari. Let us look at what is the real divine meaning
      behind this highly elevated spiritual state of a soul:

      The word "Amrit-Dharee" literally means "The one who has the
      manifested prescence of Amrit (Immortal God) inside them". However
      over the last three centuries it has been grossly misunderstood and
      misinterpreted among the Sikh Sangat. This word signifies a very high
      spiritual state of a soul, and should be used for a soul which has
      been eternally blessed with Gurparsadi Gurkirpa (God's Eternal Grace
      and Guru's Blessings) and is enjoying a very high spiritual state at
      least in the Realm of Grace (Karam Khand).

      hmwrI ipAwrI AMimRq DwrI guir inmK n mn qy twrI ry ]1]
      My Beloved Lord's prescence is the Amrit.
      Don't hold it back from my mind,
      even for an instant. ||1||

      SGGS 404

      Let us look at what is the real divine meaning behind this highly
      elevated spiritual state of a soul:

      The word "Amrit" means the One God who

      • doesn't die,

      • is always alive

      • will remain alive so for all Ages to come

      • was alive in all previous ages.

      What is "Amrit"?

      It is the complete pure and pious, it is The Truth.

      What is The Truth?

      It is Dhan Dhan Paar Braham Himself (God) and His "Aad Jugadi"
      (Ageless) Naam – "Satnaam", as defined in the Mool Mantra. It is
      the Gurparsadi (Eternally Blessed by Guru) Naam of Akal Purakh. It
      is also described as "Para Purbla Naam" (original primal name) of
      Dhan Dhan Paar Braham Parmesar :–

      ikrqm nwm kQy qyry ijhbw ]
      siq nwmu qyrw prw pUrblw ]
      (From the saint's ) tongue came the praise Names to describe You.
      But the Name "Truth" – SAT NAAM - is Your perfect, original Name
      (chosen by Yourself).

      The only one who is Eternal is the "Ik Oankar Satnaam" – the
      Eternal One God

      • whose name is "Truth",

      • who is the Creator and The only Doer of
      everything "Karta",

      • who is the Immortal "Akaal",

      • the Unborn "Ajunie",

      • the Self-Illumined "Sabhung"

      Except for IK OANKAR SATNAAM, everything else is perishable, is
      recycling and reincarnating, will remain recycling, and involved in
      the cycle of life and death forever.

      The word "Amrit" is the Gurparsadi Naam – "Satnaam" of Dhan Dhan
      Paar Braham Parmesar –

      qyry drsn kau bilhwrxY quis idqw AMimRq nwmu ]1]
      I am a sacrifice to the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan.
      By the Pleasure of Your Will,
      You have blessed me with the Amrit of Your Naam, the Name of the
      Lord. ||1||

      SGGS 52

      The Naam Amrit – "Ik Oankaar Satnaam" is Gurparsadi and can only
      be blessed and given by a Puran Sant Satguru - a Puran Braham Gyani,
      who is completely merged in Dhan Dhan Akal Purakh –

      nwmu Amolku rqnu hY pUry siqgur pwis ]
      The Naam is a Priceless Jewel; it is with the Perfect True Guru.

      SGGS 40

      siqguru isK kau nwm Dnu dyie ]
      The True Guru gives His Sikh the wealth of the Naam.

      SGGS 286

      siqgur ivic AMimRq nwmu hY AMimRqu khY khwie ]
      The Amrit of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is within the True Guru.

      SGGS 1424

      "Amrit-Dharee" is therefore a soul who has reached that level in
      spirituality where this Amrit has gone in to the Hirda (heart centre)
      and Surat (mind consciousness). Such a soul who is constantly and
      continuously drinking this divine nectar of Gurparsadi Naam –
      "Satnaam".

      Such a condition of spirituality comes only in Karam Khand (realm of
      Grace) and above stages of Bhagtee when the soul goes into Ajapa
      Jaap stage –

      srgun inrgun inrMkwr suMn smwDI Awip ]
      Awpn kIAw nwnkw Awpy hI iPir jwip ]1]
      He possesses all qualities; He transcends all qualities;
      He is the Formless Lord. He Himself is in Primal Sunn Samadee .
      Through His Creation, O Nanak, He meditates on Himself (ajapa jaap).
      ||1||

      SGGS 290

      and eventually

      gurmuiK roim roim hir iDAwvY ]
      The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.

      SGGS 941

      This means that every bit of the body and soul gets drenched in
      Naam. Every bit of the body and soul recites Naam on a continuous
      basis, and such a condition comes in Sach Khand. This is when a soul
      becomes completely truthful and comes under completely truthful
      conduct (Puran Sachyari Rehat). This completely truthful conudct
      (Puran Sachyari Rehat) is when one has :

      • conquered over the Five Thieve and Hope,s Desires and
      Wishes,

      • won over Maya completely,

      • won over the mind

      • come under Puran Hukam (Gods Perfect Command),

      • eliminated the mind of its own wisdom and lets only divine
      wisdom prevail.

      Such is the state of a soul who completely merges in Braham and
      becomes one with the Almighty. There remains no difference between
      such a soul and Braham Himself. Such a soul is called "Amrit-
      Dharee" who then becomes "Amrit Ka Data" Himself.

      This is the Praise of a Amrit-Dharee in a very few words, otherwise
      the entire Gurbani is the Praise of :-

      • Amrit,

      • Amrit Ka Data (Giver Of Amrit), and

      • Amrit-Dharees (Souls saturated in Amrit).

      Becoming An Amrit-Dharee :

      The "Amrit-Dharee" (Mind in which God , the Amrit, is present)
      spiritual stage comes with the Gurparsadi Gurkirpa (God and Guru's
      eternal blessings and grace) and after a lot of Bhagti Kamai (earning
      the devotional worship) and for reaching this stage and become a
      Amrit-Dharee a normal soul has to go through the sequence as follows:-

      1. Jaap (Repetition of the Name) with the tongue.

      rsnw jpqI qUhI qUhI ]
      My tongue chants Your Name, Your Name.

      SGGS 1215

      This happens in Dharam Khand (Realm of Religion). This is a stage
      when one gets to know what the purpose of life is. And that one has
      to do something to achieve this purpose. This is when one realizes
      that he has to achieve Jivan Multi (liberated while alive) in this
      life. For most Sikhs this is when they receive "Khandey Ki
      Pahul" (Initiation of The Sword) from the "Panj Pyare". This is
      when one gets onto the first step towards the journey to Sach Khand.

      The reading and listening of Gurbani brings more enlightenment inside
      the soul and one starts to realize the divine wisdom of the Gurbani.
      The key here is to bring the Gurbani into the daily life, whatever
      little we understand we should bring the same divine wisdom inside us
      by practicing in our daily life. If we do so then we will keep on
      getting more and more enlightenment inside us and we will understand
      more and more Gurbani. Then we continue to practice more and more
      Gurbani. This stage in spitiual progression is called Gyan Khand –
      Realm of Divine Knowledge.

      When we are familiar with what divine knowledge of gurbani is telling
      us to do then as a result we become ready to commit ourselves to a
      concerted effort to meet our objective. This is when we start
      putting more and more effort into our spirtual side. This stage is
      called Saram Khand – Realm of Effort. We start to work very hard in
      our Bhagtee.

      2. Jaap with Breathing (Swaas).

      swis swis ismrhu goibMd ]
      With each and every breath,
      meditate in remembrance on the Lord of the Universe.

      SGGS 295

      The next stage in Bhagtee is when Jaap (repitition of the Name) goes
      into the breathing and one does the Jaap along with the breathing–
      this happens in Saram Khand. A lot of the people get stuck here and
      can't move to the next higher stage. The reason behind this road
      block is due to if it is their great good fortune "Purbley Janam Key
      Ankur". This means that at this point onwards the progress on the
      spiritual path is a Gurparsadi Game (requires Eternal Blessings and
      Grace of God through the Guru). With out the eternal blessings of
      Dhan Dhan Gur – Akal Purakh it is not possible to move further, so
      most people get stuck over here. This divine wisdom has been very
      clearly presented in Dhan Dhan Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, some
      examples are as under:

      pUrw siqguru jy imlY pweIAY sbdu inDwnu ]
      kir ikrpw pRB AwpxI jpIAY AMimRq nwmu ]
      jnm mrx duKu kwtIAY lwgY shij iDAwnu ]1]
      If we meet the Perfect SatGuru, we obtain the Treasure of the Shabad.
      Please grant Your Grace, God, that we may meditate on Your Amrit
      Naam.
      The pains of birth and death are taken away;
      we are intuitively centered on His Meditation (sehaj dhian). ||1||

      SGGS 46

      vwhu vwhu AMimRq nwmu hY gurmuiK pwvY koie ]
      vwhu vwhu krmI pweIAY Awip dieAw kir dyie ]
      Waaho! Waaho! is the Amrit of the Naam obtained by the Gurmukh.
      Waaho! Waaho! This is realized by His Grace, as He Himself grants His
      Grace.

      SGGS 515

      siqgur ivic AMimRq nwmu hY AMimRqu khY khwie ]
      gurmqI nwmu inrmluo inrml nwmu iDAwie ]
      AMimRq bwxI qqu hY gurmuiK vsY min Awie ]
      ihrdY kmlu prgwisAw joqI joiq imlwie ]
      nwnk siqguru iqn kau myilEnu ijn Duir msqik Bwgu ilKwie ]25]
      The Amrit Naam is within the SatGuru.
      Following the Guru's Teachings,
      one meditates on the Immaculate Naam,
      the Pure and Holy Naam.
      The Amrit Bani (Word) is the true essence.
      It comes to abide in the mind of the Gurmukh.
      The heart-lotus blossoms forth, and one's light merges in the Light.
      O Nanak, they alone meet with the SatGuru,
      who have such pre-ordained destiny inscribed upon their foreheads.
      ||25||

      SGGS 1421

      The next stage of spirituality comes only after Gurparsadi Gurkirpa
      as described in above verses of divine wisdom. There is something
      more to know about the Amrit over here; the highest Amrit is Atam
      Ras, which is enjoyed by a Puran Braham Gyani only

      Awqm rsu bRhm igAwnI cInw ]
      The God-conscious being enjoys the spiritual bliss (rus) of the soul
      (atam).

      SGGS 272

      the second highest Amrit is Naam Amrit – Gurparsadi Naam – Ek
      Oankaar Satnaam; the next Amrit is Ek Boond Amrit -

      eyk bUMd guir AMimRqu dIno qw Atlu Amru n muAw ]
      The Guru has blessed me with the one drop of Amrit (Ek Boond Amrit),
      and so I have become stable, unmoving and immortal - I shall not die.

      SGGS 612

      3. Simran in Surat (mind / consciousness).

      ismir mnw rwm nwmu icqwry ]
      O mind, meditate on the Name of the Lord

      SGGS 803

      This happens when with Gurparsadi Gurkirpa based on our deeds from
      the previous lives as presented in the above verses of divine wisdom,
      Gurparsadi Naam – Satnaam is blessed by a Puran Sant Satguru, at
      this time the Gurparsadi Naam – Satnaam is instituted in the Surat
      and sometimes directly in Hirda by a Puran Sant Satguru. This is the
      stage when Jaap becomes Simran – this is a very high spiritual
      state – this happens when the soul is instituted in Karam Khand –
      at this stage the soul goes into Smadhee and then Sun Smadhee. The
      word Karam signifies Gurparsadi Gurkirpa, which is an essential and
      mandatory element of advancement in Bhagtee. This is the stage when a
      Bhagtee Account is opened in the Dargah of Dhan Dhan Paar Braham
      Parmesar.

      4. Simran in Hirda:

      AMqir kmlu pRgwisAw AMimRqu BirAw AGwie ]
      The lotus blossoms deep within the heart, and filled with Amrit, one
      is satisfied.

      SGGS 22

      The next stage is when Simran goes into Hirda – this one is even
      much higher stage when Naam goes into Hirda – this is where it goes
      on an automatic mode, which is also known as Ajapa Jaap, this is
      where the Bhagtee goes higher. This continues in Smadhee and Sun
      Smadhee– Karam Khand. When we do Bhagtee with Naam Simran in Hirda,
      and eventually the Anmolak Rattan Hira – Gurparsadi Naam – Satnaam
      in carved in our Hirda.

      kImiq iknY n pweIAY ird mwxk moil Amoil ]1]
      No one has found the worth of the ruby of the heart;
      its value cannot be estimated. ||1||

      SGGS 22

      These are the stages of spirituality in Karam Khand when a soul
      becomes a AMRIT-DHAREE, and does the Puran Bhagtee and eventually
      becomes ÄMRIT KA DATA" after reaching Sach Khand Atmik Awastha as
      described in the following text.

      5. Nabhi Kamal:

      The next stage is when Simran travels to the Nabhi (navel chakra),
      when Nabhi Kamal blossoms – Karam Khand.

      nwiB pvnu Gir Awsix bYsY gurmuiK Kojq qqu lhY ]
      The breath is seated in the home of the navel;
      the Gurmukh searches, and finds the essence of reality.

      SGGS 945

      6. Kundalini:

      The next Stage is when Simran goes into Kundlini – Mooladhaar
      Chakkar and spine – Karam Khand.

      byDIAly ck® BuAMgw ]
      The chakras of the coiled Kundalini energy have been opened,

      SGGS 972

      kuMflnI surJI sqsMgiq prmwnµd gurU muiK mcw ]
      The Kundalini rises in the Sat Sangat, the Congregation of Truth;
      through the Word of the Guru, they enjoy the Lord of Supreme Bliss.

      SGGS 1402

      7. Gyan Nettar – Trikuti and Dassam Duaar:

      The next stage is when Simran travels through the spine to the brain,
      and back to Surat where it completes the cycle, thereby blossoming
      all the Seven Seas – Sat Sarovar – seven chakras – 7 energy
      centres of the spiritual body. This is what the real Mala of Naam is.

      kir mjno spq sry mn inrml myry rwm ]
      Take your bath in the seven seas,
      O my mind, and become pure.

      SGGS 437

      swier spq Bry jil inrmil gurmuiK mYlu n lwiedw ]2]
      The seven seas are overflowing with the Ambrosial Water;
      the Gurmukhs are not stained with filth. ||2||

      SGGS 1036

      When this happens then the Gyan Netter (divine inner third eye) and
      Dassam Duaar (tenth door) opens and you form a permanent connection
      with Akal Purakh, you start to get divine knowledge – Braham Gyan.
      This happens in Sach Khand.

      Kycr BUcr qulsI mwlw gur prswdI pwieAw ]
      Control of the breath and positioning of the tongue,
      focusing at the third eye and wearing malas of tulsi beads,
      are all obtained through Guru's Grace.

      SGGS 973

      nau drvwj nvy dr PIky rsu AMimRqu dsvy cueIjY ]
      There are nine doors (openings in the body),
      but the taste of these nine doors is bland and insipid.
      The Essence of Amrit trickles down through the Tenth Door.

      SGGS 1036

      bjr kpwt jVy jiV jwxY gur sbdI Kolwiedw ]2]
      The hard and heavy spiritual doors are closed and locked.
      Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, they are thrown open. ||2||

      SGGS 1033

      Enjoyment – Anand in Smadhee and Sun Smadhee is beyond description.
      That is why the Maha Purakhs go into very deep meditation some time
      for days together. You experience a lot of things during your Smadhee
      and Sun Smadhee, see a lot of things, meet a lot of Sants, Gurus, see
      Param Jyot, conversation with the Sants and Akal Purakh and what not,
      it is beyond description what happens and through what you go when
      you go into deep meditation.

      8. Simran in Rom Rom (Every Hair and cell):

      The Simran in Smadhee and Sun Smadhee continues until NIRGUN AND
      SARGUN becomes one, at this point Simran goes into rom-rom – every
      bit of your body does Naam Simran, your Suksham Dehi becomes as pure
      as gold, your entire body is filled with Naam Amrit all the time. You
      become Braham Leen, and Atal Awastha. These stages are beyond
      description.

      jb ipRA Awie bsy igRih Awsin qb hm mMglu gwieAw ]
      When my Beloved came to live in my house, I began to sing the songs
      of bliss.

      SGGS 941

      gurmuiK roim roim hir iDAwvY ]
      The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair (every bit) of his
      body.

      SGGS 941

      srgun inrgun inrMkwr suMn smwDI Awip ]
      Awpn kIAw nwnkw Awpy hI iPir jwip ]1]
      He possesses all qualities; He transcends all qualities;
      He is the Formless Lord. He Himself is in Primal Sunn Samadee .
      Through His Creation, O Nanak, He meditates on Himself (ajapa jaap).
      ||1||

      SGGS 290

      One lives in Puran Parkash all the time and listens to Ilahi Kirtan –
      Anhad Naad Dhunis all the time. It is just incredible experience.
      This is when one becomes Sat Ram Dass and is directed by the Almighty
      to serve the Sangat. And this is what your target should be when you
      have been prompted to move on the Bhagti Marg.

      The above description is Gurparsadi and is based on the actual
      physical spiritual experiences of this kookar of the Gur, Guru and
      Gursangat.

      Let us take a few minutes to make a self evaluation of our own self
      in light of above divine wisdom - Braham Gyan, and compare a commonly
      used perception of the word AMRIT-DHARI with the divine description
      of this highly elevated state of a eternally blessed soul, who is
      either completely absorbed in the Almighty, or very near to be so
      soon. We are sure to find a way to become a divinely eternally
      blessed AMRIT-DHARI, then do Puran Bhagtee and become one with the
      Almighty and eventually become AMRIT-KA-DATA (Giver of Amrit).

      DD