The Difference Between Sikh, Gursikh And Gurmukh

  • gur_mukhs
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2005
      ik oankar satnaam gurprasad||

      Are you a Sikh? Or a GurSikh or a Gurmukh? Or do you like to add
      Khalsa to your name? All these words tend to get used
      interchangeably, but from a spiritual point of view they signify
      different states of spiritual progress.

      In short,

      Manmukh : is one who has no interest in God just himself.
      Sikh : believes in God and Gurus, but lacks solid commitment
      GurSikh : makes a commitment to the Guru eg getting initiated or
      coming under guidance of a Sant and practising whatever gurbani says
      GurMukh : has defeated the 5 thieves, becomes enlightened.

      Read about it in more detail below. Written by and Enlightened soul,
      one who has become Gurmukh and been through the stages.

      The Difference Between Sikh, Gursikh And Gurmukh

      By An Enlightened Soul
      ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gurmukhs/messages )

      A Sikh is a person who has :

      • chosen a path that leads to the discovery of the Truth,

      • started to pursue the path to salvation,

      • aimed to get out of the cycle of life and death,

      • aimed to meet the Guru and Akal Purakh,

      • started to work to becoming a Gursikh, then a Gurmukh and
      then eventually reach a level of spirituality, which will lead him to
      Sach Khand (God's Highest Realm Of Truth).

      A Sikh is a person who has chosen to:

      • win over the five vices (pride, anger, greed, selfish
      attachments, lust)

      • win over worldy hopes, desires, slander, gossip and back-

      • overcome the effects of the mammon snake (Maya Nagni)

      • kill his ego and become an utmost humble person,

      • kill his doubts and distractions of mind,

      • leave the life of hypocrisy (Pakhandi) and to become merged
      in Truth (a Sach Khandi),

      • love everybody and all His creations

      • never spread any hatred

      • spread and give love to others,

      • share other's griefs,

      • help the poor and down trodden people,

      • completely surrender to the Guru,

      • get the blessings of the Guru and

      • move on the path to Truth and then become a Gursikh.

      Spiritually a Sikh is a person who is in one of the first three
      spiritual realms described in JapJi Sahib (Dharam Khand – realm of
      following religion,
      Gyan Khand - realm of divine knowledge
      and Saram Khand – realm of making serious efforts to reform one's

      One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru,
      shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.
      Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe,
      and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.
      Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of
      the Lord, Har, Har.
      All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.
      Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani;
      whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's
      One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har,
      with every breath and every morsel of food
      - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.
      That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate
      - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.
      Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh,
      who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

      SGGS 305

      And thereafter:

      The True Guru cherishes His Sikh.
      The Guru is always merciful to His servant.
      The Guru washes away the filth of the evil intellect of His Sikh.
      Through the Guru's Teachings, he chants the Lord's Name.
      The True Guru cuts away the bonds of His Sikh.
      The Sikh of the Guru abstains from evil deeds.
      The True Guru gives His Sikh the wealth of the Naam.
      The Sikh of the Guru is very fortunate.
      The True Guru arranges this world and the next for His Sikh.
      O Nanak, with the fullness of His heart, the True Guru mends His
      Sikh. ||1||

      SGGS 286

      When a person moves up on the spiritual ladder and is blessed by the
      Guru and Akal Purakh in to the fourth spiritual realm (Karam Khand –
      Realm of Grace) then that person becomes a Gursikh.

      Gursikh – means a true servant of Akal Purakh. "Gur" means Akal
      Purakh and "Sikh" means a true servant. A Sikh is a person who is
      committed to become a pure and pious heart (hirda). And Akal Purakh
      is the Truth. Satnaam is the Truth. Paar Braham Parmeshwar is the
      Truth. Everything else is perishable and is in the cycle of life and

      Therefore, a Gursikh is a person who

      • serves the Truth

      • is trying to become a completely truthful person – Puran

      • has been elevated spiritually to a level where other's are
      blessed by his company. For example, if a normal person applies the
      dust of the Gursikh's feet and goes into the Sangat of Gursikhs,
      then they too will become a Gursikh. Eventually they will also
      achieve salvation – Jivan Mukti. They will also be released from the
      cycle of life and death.

      The Sikhs of the Guru accept and obey the Lord's Will;
      the Perfect Guru carries them across.
      O Lord, please bless me with the dust of the feet of the GurSikhs.
      So that this sinner will be saved.

      SGGS 1421

      That is the reason why we are all being advised by Shri Guru Granth
      Sahib Ji (The Divine Knowledge of God) to bow before such a person
      who has attained all the qualities of a GurSikh. Bowing before such
      a person will kill our ego and help us to become more and more
      humble. And utmost humbleness in our heart (hirda) is the key to
      God's Court (Dargah).

      When I see a GurSikh,
      I humbly bow and fall at their feet.
      I tell to them the pain of my soul,
      and beg them to unite me with the Guru, my Best Friend.

      SGGS 763

      The person who follows this Divine Wisdom (Braham Gyan) will

      • go to the Sangat of such Gursikhs,

      • bow before such Gursikhs,

      • become very humble in the spiritual heart (hirda)

      • eventually become a Gursikh himself

      • achieve a high spiritual condition of his mind and hirda

      • will achieve salvation.

      Therefore, there is never any harm in bowing before GurSikhs who are
      engaged in the service of the Truth. In the service to Akal Purakh
      and service to the Sants, Bhagats, Sadhus, Braham Gyani and Satguru,
      and service to the Naam.

      If we think otherwise and don't like to bow before such spiritually
      elevated souls, then that is our own mind's doubts (Dubidha) that is
      not allowing us to follow the divine knowledge of Gurbani. If we do
      not follow Gurbani then how can we achieve our spiritual goals?

      Only the ones who have killed their mind's doubts (Dubidha) will
      achieve salvation.

      Gurmukh is still a much higher spiritual condition than a Gursikh.
      The Gurmukh is the person who :

      • has completely surrendered himself to the Guru and follows
      the Guru's Divine Wisdom (Brahm Gyan) and advice

      • always has their face always towards the Guru - meaning who
      is always committed to serve the truth,

      • has a spirtual heart (hirda) and mind that are saturated
      with Satnaam,

      • has gone in to effortless and continuous remembrance of
      Satnaam (Ajapa Jaap),

      • has every bit of their body become Satnaam,

      • is enlightened with the Light of the Supre Lord (Param

      • has been blessed by the Guru and Akal Purakh in to Sach

      • has become a completely truthful person,

      • honours the Guru's words and advice.

      The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.
      SGGS 941

      This spiritual condition happens only when a person reaches Sach
      Khand. At this stage:

      He possesses all qualities (SARGUN);
      He transcends all qualities (NIRGUN);
      He is the Formless Lord.
      He Himself is in Primal Samaadhi.
      Through His Creation, O Nanak, He meditates on Himself. ||1||

      SGGS 290

      Thereafter, when a Gurmukh

      • continues his loving devotion (bhagtee) in God's Realm Of
      Truth (Sach Khand),

      • is recognized by the Guru and Akal Purakh as a completely
      truthful person and ready to serve the truth,

      • has won over his mind (Five vices, hopes, desires, slander,
      gossip, back-biting),

      • has risen over all the worldly ties,

      • has conquered over Maya,

      • has passed all the tests of God's Court (Dargah)

      then he is elevated and accepted as a

      Jivan Mukt (Dead While Alive),

      a Sant and given the complete gift of Brahm Gyan (Knowledge Of

      The Gurmukh now has a true spiritual heart (hirda) – that hirda is
      known as a Sant. That Sant has become one with Almighty. That Sant
      hirda is blessed with supreme status (Param Padvi) by the Guru and
      God's Court (Dargah). That Sant becomes the Khalsa that Guru Gobind
      Singh Ji praised.

      At this stage the Sant's job becomes serving

      • the Truth,

      • Satnaam (God's Name : "SAT"),

      • Akal Purakh (Immortal Being)

      • the Guru and

      • the Gur-Sangat (Guru's Congregation).

      We will very sincerely and most humbly request the Sangat to look
      inside and make a truthful judgment about where we stand in light of
      above descriptions. This will give us a motivation to move ahead. If
      we are not yet a Sikh, then we should try to become one. If we feel
      that we have achieved the level of a Sikh then we should try to
      become a Gursikh. And if we are a Gursikh, then we should try to
      become a Gurmukh.

      If we are already at the level of a Gurmukh, then we should try to
      achieve the Jivan Mukti and prepare ourselves for serving the Truth.
      And if we are a Jivan Mukt then we should be serving the Truth, Akal
      Purakh, Guru and Sangat.

      If we make a sincere effort then we are confident that with Gurkirpa
      we will be able to achieve our spiritual goals and

      • make this Earth a worthwhile place to live,

      • make this society a worthwhile society to belong to and
      exist in,

      • make the world full of true love for each other and end
      hatred and crime.

      dust of your feet