comment on meat by Dassan Das Ji

  • Meditate Upon The Truth
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
      Here is what Dassan Das Ji wrote on the subject and should give you
      spiritual satisfaction as he speaks from the God-mind.
      --

      Ik oankaar sat naam satgur parsaad
      dhan dhan paar braham parmesar ji

      guru pyareo jee:

      kottan kot dandaut parvaan karna ji, shukrana parvaan karna ji.

      (NB *tamo-guna*

      Among the three modes of material nature, the mode of darkness. It causes
      ignorance, delusion, foolishness, and inertia.)

      Meat is a tamsik (darkness) bhojan (food) � it promotes the tamo (darkness)
      birti (quality). Tamo birti is kaam (lust) krodh (anger) lobh (greed) moh
      (selfish attachment) and ahankaar (pride). So basically eating meat
      promotes panj (five) doots (thieves). That is why some people try to stay
      away from eating meat so that their tamo birti is not promoted, and so is
      the milk, butter and desi ghee � these also fall under the same category of
      food � and are tamsik (darkness) in nature.

      Killing is a sin, eating is not a sin, desiring for it is not good, but if
      it comes on the dining table then eating is not a sin, it should be
      respected just like any other food.

      Winning over the panj doots (five thieves) is bandgi (spiritual labouring),
      winning over desires is bandgi but by switching to a vegetarian diet doesn't
      either make you win over the panj doots and desires. There are a large
      population of the vegetarians on this earth � but these vegetarians are
      still slaves of the maya � every one of them has the panj doots and they
      are surrounded by desires.

      So eating or not eating is only an illusion because only bandgi will free
      you of the panj doots and desires and nothing else and bandgi is all gur
      parsaad. So staying in illusions is not bandgi, removal of all illusions,
      delusions, bharams and dubidha is bandgi and bandgi is the way to become
      free from the shackles of maya.

      Dassan dass

    • Meditate Upon The Truth
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
        satnaam ji
        dearest dassan das ji
        dandauth bandhana ji,

        so what you are basically saying is

        a) killing is a sin i.e. generates negative karma for us, means we are not
        operating from our God-compassionate mnd , but are operating out of our
        tamo-destructive mind.

        b) eating meat, fish, eggs, milk and butter i.e. dairy /animal products
        causes tamo qualities in us i.e. leads us into tamo-destructive mind.

        So in a nutshell, you are saying where we have a choice, which is most of
        the time, we effectively need to be pretty much vegan.

        But not a fanatical one full of pride etc, as its important to beat our 5
        thieves. So when non-veg is presented to us its no big deal to eat some of
        it.

        Baba Ji's teachings are slightly different , Baba Ji said to me
        a) killing is a sin, but God has given us the right to kill for food. So
        that does not count as generating negative karma.

        b) he will eat anything that God has lived in i..e has had life.

        On a personal note, having tried many different diets - meat, vegan ,
        vegetarian, I would say the most satisfactory one is the one i am on now.
        And i have got to this balance after listening to my body, seeing how foods
        effect it and finding what works for me or not.

        pretty much vegan - no milk (am not lactose tolerant), no butter & no fried
        foods, cakes, chocolates (avoiding saturated fats). Yoghurt is good though
        - boosts immune system, provides essential bacteria for stomach lining.
        Soya milk subsititute is really good as well. Lots of protein, calcium and
        low fat.

        Some meat once or twice a month, lots of tuna for protein, salmon as well
        for omega-3 oils, also eggs once a week for protein.

        Basically, food has one function - to sustain our body. When having these
        religious discussions i think people forget the basics. To see wether the
        food we are eating is approved by God or not, then look at your own body in
        the mirror, and feel what its like from the inside. We know if you are
        healthy and fit, or heading for sickness and disease. Between the ages of
        45-55 our body breaks down if we have had bad diet, high fat , high
        cholestral (mostly from animal products), and high sugar and salt. On top
        of which low or no excercise. Which leads to muscle weakness and back pains
        , neck pains and other joint problems.
        Lack of running / swimming type excercises to burn fat and excercise the
        heart.

        I dont think killing for food is a sin, i think killing our own body through
        bad diet and neglect - to kill the body over 50 years is the greatest
        disrepect of the gift of God to us - our own body. With this body we can do
        bhagti, without it we blow our chance in time and space as baba ji said
        once.

        dust of your feet

        HArjit