"Personal Manager Looking For Actors"

  • Bob Fraser
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2007
      "Personal Manager Looking For Actors"

      Acting Career FAQ by Bob Fraser

      If you've ever seen a headline like that, I'm
      sure you're curious. Is it for real? Are there
      really managers out there - LOOKING for actors?

      I get a lot of email about personal managers ...

      "How can I tell whether a manager is legitimate ?

      "What's the difference between managers and

      "Can you recommend a good manager?"

      "Do I really NEED a manager?"

      Okay ... here's the 411 on personal managers:

      A personal manager is meant to be a "partner" in
      your career - your acting business. In legendary
      show biz success stories - a critical turning point
      is often signing a manager who believes in the
      actor. There are scores of stories about managers
      who have been critical to an actor's success.

      But, it's just a fact of life that anyone can CALL
      themselves a "personal manager."

      So ...

      I advise all actors to first check the credentials
      of any potential "partner" - by doing their homework.

      1. Find out what trade organizations the manager
      belongs to (the professionals almost all belong to
      a manager's association).

      2. Find out everything you can about his or her
      reputation in the 'business.'

      3. Ask good questions, like:

      "What made you decide to be a personal manager?"

      "How many actors do you represent?

      "What agents do you work with?

      "How do you see my career progressing?"

      4. Most importantly - how do you "feel" around this
      person? Since this is a relationship that can have
      a big impact on your results - and could last a long
      time - it's important that you're comfortable.

      In the world of show business, every relationship
      you form has the potential to help - or hurt - you.

      Even though checking people out is one of those
      'unpleasant' parts of handling your acting career,
      you must handle it - or prepare yourself to look into
      the thrilling possibilities of "wait-staffing."

      A personal manager can help you move your career
      forward by constantly working on your business. As
      the name implies, they manage things. Contracts,
      schedules, projects, agent relations - in other
      words, the every day business of 'you.'

      Your manager will guide you to the good agencies,
      keep your name in front of producers, and interact
      with your agent, publicist, and business manager.

      In most cases a manager does not solicit work for
      you. In fact, in some states - like California, New
      York, Texas and Florida - it's not even legal.

      Your agent, on the other hand, is a SALES person.
      An agent solicits work for you. A good agent is out
      there, every day, drumming up business. Most of the
      time your agent is probably on the phone with
      potential employers (producers) trying to convince
      them to use you in their next project.

      Your agent is also your principal negotiator, once
      a producer is ready to make you an offer.

      Keep in mind that you will be required to win the
      role all by yourself.

      In other words, YOU will have to "close the sale" -
      in an audition or call-back.

      Therefore, it's a good idea to think of your agent
      as your salesman who does the 'cold calling' - in an
      effort to secure an appointment for you. So you can
      "get in there and sell, sell, sell."

      Once you've started up the ladder in show business,
      you ARE going to need an agent to continue climbing.

      That really depends on what kind of actor you are.

      If you're the ambitious, type-A, upwardly mobile,
      "sky's the limit" sort, who is looking for superstar
      status ... YES.

      There are many actors who continue to hustle like a
      magazine salesman even after they've 'made it.'

      An actor aiming for the stars - almost surely needs
      a manager. There are just too many details - on the
      road to stardom - for an actor to handle alone.

      On the other hand, you may be the type of work-a-day
      craftsman who feels comfortable working on a regular
      basis, doing the same sort of character every time
      out - and stardom is just not something you want, or
      would be comfortable trying to accomplish.

      If that describes you, then you probably don't need
      a manager. Managing that sort of career is not really
      very demanding.

      Of course, you may still want a manager - because a
      good manager can help to keep you in that comfortable
      niche ... for a long time.

      Here are my recommendations when looking for a manager:

      Look for someone who is:

      1. Professional
      2. Organized.
      3. Honest
      4. Business-like
      5. Dedicated

      And ...

      Also ...

      Make sure that your manager is thoroughly convinced
      that you are going to make a lot of money. Because if
      they don't believe that, then there is no basis for
      a good business relationship. Believe me, the top
      people won't even consider you unless they think
      you're going to 'bring home the big bucks.'

      By the way, if you're just getting started - don't
      waste a lot of time trying to get an agent or manager
      interested in you.

      Start by doing the 'sales' and 'management' yourself.
      When you are making money, agents and managers will be
      knocking on YOUR door.

      Because if you're making money - agents and managers
      will become truly interested in you. THAT'S when you
      have the best chance of forming a lasting, valuable,
      business relationship - and you'll have the luxury of
      choosing the best fit for you.

      And ... I'm sure THAT'S what you really want.

      Bob Fraser is an actor, writer, director, producer &
      show runner of TV classics such as The Love Boat, Full
      House, Benson, and others. He is also the author of :

      You Must Act! The Computer Based Acting Career Course

      Headshot Secrets Revealed - How To Get A Headshot
      That Gets You Called In

      Acting Career FAQ - The e-Book with Answers

      Subscribe to Bob's FREE ezine. Show Biz How-To
      The Premiere Actor's Monthly, read by actors all
      over the planet. It's easy to sign up: