Know the facts about Screen Actors Guild vs. AMPTP

  • Veleka Gray
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
      The following message is the second in a series of responses to
      Screen Actors Guild members' questions at recent Town Hall meetings
      and sent to us via email.

      Veleka
      http://TheActorsAlliance.com/

      Know the Facts!

      Q: How can we be asked to authorize the National board to call a TV/
      Theatrical strike in this time of economic crisis?

      A: There is no good time to consider a strike. Strikes are called
      only when management’s bargaining positions are intolerable and then
      only by a vote of the elected actors on the National Board, if
      authorized by a membership referendum. But, tough economic times are
      when it is most necessary to be unified to resist the studios and
      networks effort to obliterate contract provisions in our future
      work. The AMPTP’s contract proposal in new media creates a business
      model with no minimums, no residuals, and the right to produce non-
      union whenever they want.

      Our employers are publicly held companies with currently unhappy
      shareholders whose investments in studios and networks have been
      severely reduced in value as a result of the Wall Street crash. Our
      employers will respond by cutting expenses wherever possible. Our
      only protection from the cost-cutting hatchet is a strong contract -
      - with minimums, pension/health contributions and safe working
      conditions, including in all new media formats where our work is
      clearly headed fast. Just watch and see how many times network
      dotcom logos appear on your television screen.

      This union was founded in 1933 during the Great Depression. We
      achieved our first contract with the studios in 1937. Despite
      general unemployment then at 25%, working actors formed Screen Actors
      Guild to resist the studios demand that all actors take a 50% pay cut
      because of the economic hard times for the entertainment industry in
      the 1930’s. Actors then, at great risk to their careers, stood
      together and refused management’s rollbacks.

      The economic crisis puts pressure on both sides of the table in the
      TV/Theatrical contracts negotiation. The studios and networks are
      much more vulnerable today than they were a year ago facing the WGA.
      Certainly, actors face an uncertain future as unemployment rises. But
      the AMPTP’s proposal will make it impossible for actors to earn a
      living for work in new media. If Internet productions become the new
      TV pilots and network dotcoms showcase original productions and you
      can watch all new media product on a Sony Bravia flat screen TV
      hooked directly to the Internet - - how will the working actor
      survive without minimums, residuals, and pension and health
      benefits? Both sides in this dispute should compromise on an
      agreement, not just the members of SAG.

      Send that message to the AMPTP companies by voting yes on the strike
      authorization referendum.

      Please visit the SAG website at www.sag.org for up to the minute
      information and email your questions or comments to
      Contract2008@... (this is an email address and not a live web link.)

      In unity,

      Doug Allen

      More than 3,000 SAG members have signed on to the solidarity campaign at
      www.sag.org If you haven’t yet signed the Guild’s solidarity
      statement in
      support of a fair contract and a “yes” vote on the strike
      authorization, do
      so now at http://www.sag.org/solidarity-signup-sheet

      Read recent SAG Talk posts at http://www.sag.org/sag-talk including
      former
      SAG President Ed Asner’s Los Angeles Times opinion piece and SAG
      member and New York Division board member Eric Bogosian’s open letter
      to members. Also see new support videos on the home page and at SAG TV.
    • Veleka Gray
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2009
        Actors,

        If you want to take the classes on how to work with a film director,
        do you have directions to the location nearest you (Metairie,
        Covington, or Baton Rouge)? If not, write back immediately. This
        course starts the week of January 12th.

        In addition to directors, casting directors will also be scouting
        these classes for talent.

        Take action on your dreams. Don't lose out. Your last chance to
        register is now!