Re: how to keep hops healthy?

  • michaelandshawn
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
      I have the same thing happening here is Washington State. We had a very mild winter this year On a side not can anyone tell me how to keep the ants of my bines?

      --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@...> wrote:

      > Where are you located?  And I assume by budding you mean shoots are breaking ground?  Not a problem.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Ric Cunningham
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
        Get rid of the aphids and the ants will go away. Seriously - if you have ants then you need to control the reason for the ants. Preying Mantis are a good natural method. Get a few and let them loose in the hop yard.

        --
        Ric Cunningham
        Wilypig Brewing
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
          A couple of other solutions for Aphids are:

          - Lady Bugs are the best. Both adult and larva stages are aphid-hunters.

          - Insecticidal soap. Good against all soft-body insects. Just spray on the aphids.

          - Tobacco solution. Soak chewing tobacco in water and use the solution like Insecticidal soap.

          Rich

          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, Ric Cunningham <wilypig@...> wrote:

          > Get rid of the aphids and the ants will go away. Seriously - if you have
          > ants then you need to control the reason for the ants. Preying Mantis are a
          > good natural method. Get a few and let them loose in the hop yard.
          >
          > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM, michaelandshawn
          > <michaelandshawn@...>wrote:
          >

          > > I have the same thing happening here is Washington State. We had a very
          > > mild winter this year On a side not can anyone tell me how to keep the ants
          > > of my bines?
          > >
          > > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com <Grow-Hops%40yahoogroups.com>, James
          > > Altwies <jraltwies@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Where are you located? And I assume by budding you mean shoots are
          > > breaking ground? Not a problem.
          > > >

          > > > ________________________________

        • LISA PERTILE
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
            I think the lady bugs would be a nice solutions as well.  Or spray it down with organic insecticide which includes ingredients like Sesame seed oil, etc....Soapy water might help a bit.  I like to kill them with my fingers if it's not overwhelming then spray some organic insecticide on it.  Check on it daily, then after a week or two you should be fine (weather pending).  Remember aphids are usually a spring cool/wet problem.  They love some of my Japanese maples, and every year I have to combat them in the spring.  Aphids will suck on the newest of the new growth (the nice juicy soft stuff) slowing growth).  Their population will explode rapidly if nothing is done. If it's real bad you may have to use the "nasty stuff" to control outbreak.

            --
            Ric Cunningham
            Wilypig Brewing
            "If you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make great beer."
            Niagara Association of Homebrewers
          • Cynthia
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
              Oregon, zone 4, I think.

              --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@...> wrote:

              > Where are you located?  And I assume by budding you mean shoots are breaking ground?  Not a problem.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • James Altwies
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
                Cynthia,
                    You'll be just fine...

                > Where are you located?  And I assume by budding you mean shoots are breaking ground?  Not a problem.
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • James Altwies
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
                  tobacco (nicotine) is a potent insecticide used as far back as ancient Egypt...

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Thanks.

                    --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@...> wrote:

                    > Cynthia,
                    >     You'll be just fine...
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Ken Keller
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010

                      You can order some ladybugs on line.  They will eat the aphids for you.  Preying Manti are good for the larger bugs.  They’ll do OK with aphids while they’re young but as they grow they’ll want something bigger.  You can also order the manti on line.

                      --
                      Ric Cunningham
                      Wilypig Brewing
                      "If you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make great beer."
                      Niagara Association of Homebrewers

                    • johnmmclellan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010
                        <snip/summary> keeping aphids off of your hops <end snip/summary>

                        Another "organic" solution to helping keep aphids off of your hops is to use a hose and shower your hops with water. Don't use a super high pressure stream. Obviously that has the potential to damage the leaves (and later in the summer, those precious flowers). Instead, use a "shower" type of setting on a hand held nozzle attachment for your hose.

                        I have about ten total hops plants, so it takes me 15 to 20 minutes per evening to "shower" them with water. The physical force of the water knocks the majority of the aphids off the plant, down to the ground (where the aphids become food to all the ground dwelling insects).

                        The hard part is getting the spray to hit the back of the leaves, which is where the aphids will hang out. However, you'll wash off 90% of them in the first washing. If you do it daily, or every other day, then not only will you be sure that your hops are getting enough water (which is important for me since I live in a DRY DRY DRY Rocky Mountain town) but you'll also continually be knocking the aphids down. You'll never get rid of them, but the idea is that even though they're still around, you'll continually be creating a growing environment where your hops can out compete those cursed aphids. I hope this helps! -John
                      • RichW
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010
                          Don't put too many ladybugs in one area; they'll eat all the available food in your garden then leave... Try growing cilantro, ladybugs like the environment and you'll have plenty of seeds (coriander) for your wit! I have cilantro at each crown so it grows around the base, and can find several ladybugs at each site all season.

                          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, Ken Keller <kenkeller@...> wrote:

                          > You can order some ladybugs on line. They will eat the aphids for you.
                          > Preying Manti are good for the larger bugs. They'll do OK with aphids while
                          > they're young but as they grow they'll want something bigger. You can also
                          > order the manti on line.
                        • jsheubel
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                            Good advice, but I'll also add that I use Neem Oil. It's all natural oil from the Neem tree and it won't kill bees or other beneficials. Mix according to the directions and spray to coat the leaves. The way it works is by disrupting the digestive systems of the aphids or whatever is eating the plant. They just stop eating and die. Each application can last for several weeks, depending on weather conditions, so if you're on vacation, no worries about an infestation occurring. Will kill Japanese beetles too, though Bt in the ground in springtime is probably a better idea.

                            John

                            --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "johnmmclellan" <johnmmclellan@...> wrote:

                            > <snip/summary> keeping aphids off of your hops <end snip/summary>
                            >
                            > Another "organic" solution to helping keep aphids off of your hops is to use a hose and shower your hops with water. Don't use a super high pressure stream. Obviously that has the potential to damage the leaves (and later in the summer, those precious flowers). Instead, use a "shower" type of setting on a hand held nozzle attachment for your hose.
                            >
                            > I have about ten total hops plants, so it takes me 15 to 20 minutes per evening to "shower" them with water. The physical force of the water knocks the majority of the aphids off the plant, down to the ground (where the aphids become food to all the ground dwelling insects).
                            >
                            > The hard part is getting the spray to hit the back of the leaves, which is where the aphids will hang out. However, you'll wash off 90% of them in the first washing. If you do it daily, or every other day, then not only will you be sure that your hops are getting enough water (which is important for me since I live in a DRY DRY DRY Rocky Mountain town) but you'll also continually be knocking the aphids down. You'll never get rid of them, but the idea is that even though they're still around, you'll continually be creating a growing environment where your hops can out compete those cursed aphids. I hope this helps! -John

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                              <snip> Good advice, but I'll also add that I use Neem Oil. <end snip>

                              I have had success using Neem oil on my apple tree when the aphids were infesting it, but it's in a place in my yard where I don't go very often. My hops, on the other hand, I visit daily (in the summer)! Thus, spraying water on my hops with a shower spray from the hose isn't a pain for me. In fact, it's typically a nice 15 to 20 minutes to myself in the evenings to cool off. So, the water idea works for me to control aphids on my hops. However, I agree with John, Neem oil is very effective in controlling aphids. -John McLellan (all these Johns in the forum get confusing!)