Re: 2009 crop a total bust

  • eldockoderocko
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
      --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "mockingbird_1313" <fastlane.fishback@...> wrote:

      > Next year consider pruning leaves and sidearms down low. The first 2-3 feet are where many insects climb on-board. The bottom leaves don't provide much developement to the plant and it is where most of the problems, like grasshoppers, start.
      >
      > Jeff

      Unfortunately my bines were all only about 2-3' tall when the bugs hit. Once they started growing cones I didn't want to put anything on the plants. And the grasshoppers are eating my honeysuckles also, they have no leaves for almost 4' so height isn't much of an issues for these critters..
    • Doug Rooney
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
        Time to start encouraging birds to come to your yard. I put up about 20 swallow nest boxes and an owl box and a couple of misc boxes, and the 3 grasshoppers I saw this year did not survive my foot, last year there were hundreds of them, now I have fat birds in my yard and very few bugs, including mussies.

        Thank You

        -Doug Rooney

        > Next year consider pruning leaves and sidearms down low.
        The first 2-3 feet are where many insects climb on-board. The bottom leaves don't provide much developement to the plant and it is where most of the problems, like grasshoppers, start.

        > Jeff

        Unfortunately my bines were all only about 2-3' tall when the bugs hit. Once they started growing cones I didn't want to put anything on the plants. And the grasshoppers are eating my honeysuckles also, they have no leaves for almost 4' so height isn't much of an issues for these critters..

      • unclebgbob
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
          My hop crop was a total bust this year also even though the bines themselves produced a bumper crop. My wife and I had our second child born on August 13th, and I've been so busy being a dad, that I didn't get around to harvesting. I went out to the yard last night and all the cones are brown and past their peak. I don't think I'm even going to bother harvesting this year. Oh well, I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to brew again anyway. At least hops can be purchased--and growing them was fun even if I don't get any use out of them.
        • eldockoderocko
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
            --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Rooney" <drooney57@...> wrote:

            > Time to start encouraging birds to come to your yard. I put up about 20
            > swallow nest boxes and an owl box and a couple of misc boxes, and the 3
            > grasshoppers I saw this year did not survive my foot, last year there were
            > hundreds of them, now I have fat birds in my yard and very few bugs,
            > including mussies.
            >

            > Thank You
            >
            > -Doug Rooney
            Another great idea, but... We have the largest trees in our little desert neighborhood, all full of nests, I have several large cactus gardens for the native birds to live in. But they're all so fat from eating my apples, tomatoes, peaches etc they don't want to eat bugs. Even my neighbors ducks, chickens and geese can't keep up with this year's infestation, it's pretty unusual.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
              Well Congratulations for your second child, more precious that any hop, but you knew that. My second grand child was borne just a couple of months ago, so I am still glowing :)

              Thank You

              -Doug Rooney

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "unclebgbob" <bob@...> wrote:

                > My hop crop was a total bust this year also even though the bines themselves produced a bumper crop. My wife and I had our second child born on August 13th, and I've been so busy being a dad, that I didn't get around to harvesting. I went out to the yard last night and all the cones are brown and past their peak. I don't think I'm even going to bother harvesting this year. Oh well, I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to brew again anyway. At least hops can be purchased--and growing them was fun even if I don't get any use out of them.
                Just think how handy that second child will be in 10 years when it comes time to pick that bumper crop from your 10 year old hop farm. (LOL)

                Congrats on the child, they're great when they're small. We also just had our second child...move back in with us.
              • Linda
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                  > Congrats on the child, they're great when they're small. We also just had
                  > our second child...move back in with us.

                  Sad, but hilarious! Perhaps s/he can help with the beer making / drinking
                  :-)

                  Linda
                  (who didn't get very many hops from her first year plants, but enjoyed
                  making hop tea with them :-))
                • eldockoderocko
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                    --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <labradors@...> wrote:

                    > > Congrats on the child, they're great when they're small. We also just had
                    > > our second child...move back in with us.
                    >
                    > Sad, but hilarious! Perhaps s/he can help with the beer making / drinking
                    > :-)
                    >
                    > Linda
                    > (who didn't get very many hops from her first year plants, but enjoyed
                    > making hop tea with them :-))

                    She'll be helping me brew a hefeweizen tonight, and she's always been a big help at emptying kegs.
                    She also love steamed hop shoots with vinaigrette in the spring.
                  • Doug Rooney
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                      My Little girl (22) moved back home late spring, she is an amazing help in the brewery, she helped come up with a Blonde recipe and is working on a label for it now.

                      Cheers

                      -Dr.Doug

                      > Congrats on the child, they're great when they're small. We also just

                      had
                      > our second child...move back in with us.

                      Sad, but hilarious! Perhaps s/he can help with the beer making / drinking
                      :-)

                      Linda
                      (who didn't get very many hops from her first year plants, but enjoyed
                      making hop tea with them :-))

                    • johnmmclellan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                        [snip] Time to start encouraging birds to come to your yard. I put up about 20 swallow nest boxes and an owl box and a couple of misc boxes [end snip]

                        Good work Doug! We all need food, water and shelter, eh? (I'd argue some of us need IPA too, but that's just a given on a forum like this!)

                        Birds not only need to drink, but they simply love to hang out by water too. Bird baths are an easy way to encourage birds to stick around. However, beware of your cats, or your neighbors cats. I'm lucky that my high energy golden lab keeps the cats out of my back yard (by my garden as well as my hops) so I have plenty of birds that hang out in my place, not my neighbors. Good luck finding a grasshopper that lives here for longer than 24 hours. The birds make quick work of them. However, across the alley, those neighbors always have cats that kill the birds in their low bird bath. Thus, the birds don't hang out there as much as they do in my place.
                      • Jeffery Fishback
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 3, 2009
                          I like your solution. But I question, are you sure the swallows had anything to do with the grasshoppers? I thought they ate skeeters? Do you have pictures or bird house plans you could share?

                          Jeff

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2009

                            To be honest, I am not sure who ate the grasshoppers, but there so few, I do encourage any and all birds and the cats in the area are so busy with mice they don’t bother the birds.

                            Here is a good link for bird house plans: http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/greenacres/wildones/handbk/wo26bird.html.

                            I hope this helps.

                            ~Dr.Doug

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2009
                              -- However, across the alley, those neighbors always have cats that kill the birds in their low bird bath. Thus, the birds don't hang out there as much as they do in my place.

                              I have 3 cats, only one of them eats birds, the other two just eat grasshoppers. But I'm on 2 acres, I have a swimming pool the birds drink from and the cats are in the house asleep almost all day. I do have a couple of mockingbirds that attack the cats relentlessly, it's pretty funny to watch.
                              Besides the mockingbirds we have swallows, Inca doves, gray doves mourning doves, sparrows, finches, woodpeckers, roadrunners, quail, and lots of different desert birds whose names I don't know. Waking up in the spring here is like being in a jungles with all the bird songs.
                            • desertbronze99
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 7, 2009
                                --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "unclebgbob" <bob@...> wrote:

                                > My hop crop was a total bust this year also even though the bines themselves produced a bumper crop. My wife and I had our second child born on August 13th, and I've been so busy being a dad, that I didn't get around to harvesting. I went out to the yard last night and all the cones are brown and past their peak. I don't think I'm even going to bother harvesting this year. Oh well, I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to brew again anyway. At least hops can be purchased--and growing them was fun even if I don't get any use out of them.

                                I have a friend who believes that the chlorophyll in hops contributes to grassy flavors. He has experimented with leaving hops on the bines until they turn brown, then brewing with them. I did not detect any off flavors. He did say that he added more hops than normal, as he expected that the alpha acid levels would be lower due to degradation on the vine.

                                You might try a hop tea with some of your cones. If that tastes ok, make a small batch of beer with your hops.
                              • Jeffery Fishback
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 7, 2009
                                  Does the grassy flavor lessen as the beer ages?