west walls

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      I have some space on the west wall of my house, and I am wondering if
      hops will do okay getting just that afternoon sun. I already have
      first-year plants in other prime locations in the yard, but wonder if
      I can sneak in one more variety on the west side. Will I get much of
      a reduction in cones produced? I am thinking of growing Cascade
      there, and I hear they are quite vigorous and productive, so maybe a
      slight drop-off in vigor/production will not be a big deal.

      Greg
    • Greg Kelley
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        I had one plant on a west wall and ironically it was my best producer (first year for all of them, though).  But the plant was on the corner of the wall so basically from about noon onward it got sunlight.

        -Greg

        I have some space on the west wall of my house, and I am wondering if
        hops will do okay getting just that afternoon sun.  I already have
        first-year plants in other prime locations in the yard, but wonder if
        I can sneak in one more variety on the west side.  Will I get much of
        a reduction in cones produced?  I am thinking of growing Cascade
        there, and I hear they are quite vigorous and productive, so maybe a
        slight drop-off in vigor/production will not be a big deal.

        Greg

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:Grow-Hops-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:Grow-Hops-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • desertbronze99
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gsiering@...> wrote:

          > I have some space on the west wall of my house, and I am wondering if
          > hops will do okay getting just that afternoon sun. I already have
          > first-year plants in other prime locations in the yard, but wonder if
          > I can sneak in one more variety on the west side. Will I get much of
          > a reduction in cones produced? I am thinking of growing Cascade
          > there, and I hear they are quite vigorous and productive, so maybe a
          > slight drop-off in vigor/production will not be a big deal.
          >
          > Greg

          I have two Nugget plants on a trellis with a southern exposure. I have
          three more on the west side of a covered deck. I dug up a crown and cut
          all five rhizomes for these plants from that. They grew equally well
          even though the three on the deck get less sun exposure. Yields were
          fairly equal. Go for it - I think the plants will be fine.