Re: Anyone have rhizomes still available?

  • Dan_Stachurski
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
      found this on craigslist this morning...
      http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/grd/702248027.html

      if you are in the boston area you can pick the up or maybe they guy
      will ship them if you are really in dire need.

      --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, t2000kwt <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brentnhenry@> wrote:
      >
      > > Were you able to find any rhizomes? I am looking as well. Are the
      ones
      > > available back in Feb. all taken up?
      > >

      > They're gone. There may still be some at Freshops.
      >
      > Brewer's Gold and Kent Goldings are listed as available.

    • t2000kwt
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
        --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Dan_Stachurski" <danstach@...> wrote:

        > found this on craigslist this morning...
        > http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/grd/702248027.html
        >
        > if you are in the boston area you can pick the up or maybe they guy
        > will ship them if you are really in dire need.

        Be aware that Saaz hops (like those being sold there on Craigslist)
        are notorious for being difficult to grow and also for being
        low-yielding--for most people in the USA.

        http://www.freshops.com/hvariety.html

        http://www.freshops.com/usda_hop_desc2.html#21077

        Not that they can't be grown, but it might be a disappointing
        experience for first-time US growers. There are some close substitutes
        (some will argue that there are no substitutes!) that do well in the USA.
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, t2000kwt <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Dan_Stachurski" <danstach@>
          wrote:

          > > found this on craigslist this morning...
          > > http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/grd/702248027.html
          > >
          > > if you are in the boston area you can pick the up or maybe they
          guy
          > > will ship them if you are really in dire need.
          >
          > Be aware that Saaz hops (like those being sold there on Craigslist)
          > are notorious for being difficult to grow and also for being
          > low-yielding--for most people in the USA.
          >
          > http://www.freshops.com/hvariety.html
          >
          > http://www.freshops.com/usda_hop_desc2.html#21077
          >
          > Not that they can't be grown, but it might be a disappointing
          > experience for first-time US growers. There are some close
          substitutes
          > (some will argue that there are no substitutes!) that do well in
          the USA.

          I had heard about Saaz being difficult to grow. Apparently somebody
          forgot to tell my Saaz because it's doing the best of all my
          varieties. My Crystal started out fast too, but I think the bine got
          hurt in the wind (it seems to have healed now). Maybe it's because
          of the relatively cool and wet start to the season as Saaz are
          supposed to prefer cooler and wetter conditions as opposed to other
          varieties. Also, the Saaz rhizomes I got from The Thyme Garden were
          really nice. They were pretty skinny, but both had at least one
          really good shoot already growing. Unfortunately, they spent a lot
          of time in the mail, and due to some rotting I had to cut the ends
          off the shoots on one of the rhizomes. I was worried that it would
          be a goner, but 5 weeks after planting, that one too has sprouted.