Re: [Grow-Hops] Fwd: Spider Mites? [3 Attachments]

  • James Altwies
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2013
      Cone damage is definitely late season mildew. Infection does not have to be systemic to cause cone browning.

      As for leaf discoloration that could be a dozen different things. Chewing is likely beetle damage.

      Sent from my iPod

      On Sep 8, 2013, at 7:19 AM, Ben Wiechman <bwiechman@...> wrote:

      Can anyone confirm if this is damage from spider mites? Leaves have some yellowing on them, and a lot of cones are browning like this. Some strigs also have some black splotches on them.

      Based on the pictures I'm comparing it to it might also be Downy Mildew, but I didn't see any evidence of basal spikes or the dark black splotches on the leaves or spores that also seem to be associated with downy mildew.

      Another possible alternative is Alternia Cone Disorder, but these particular cones don't seem to really match those symptoms as well. Some others do. My hops are growing in an area that tends to be rather windy so there is the potential for that, however with the extremely dry year I have a hard time believing that my hops were damp enough often enough to be affected much by a fungus.

      Ben