Training question

  • T. Ferguson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2013
      I have started training my bines on the strings but I have noticed that the main bine has smaller bines (on the bottom)that are branching off of the main one. Do I need to trim those back or train them with the main stem?
    • T. Ferguson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "T. Ferguson" <orangecherokee@...> wrote:

        > I have started training my bines on the strings but I have noticed that the main bine has smaller bines (on the bottom)that are branching off of the main one. Do I need to trim those back or train them with the main stem?

        No one knows?
      • Dave Granger
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          prune them.  I believe this is the PNW method that James was referring to the other day in order to reduce downy.  I think it will improve air circulation and allow more energy to go into the rest of the plant, but I could be wrong.  Probably some online literature regarding this as well.
          Dave
          On Jun 18, 2013, at 8:54 AM, T. Ferguson <orangecherokee@...> wrote:

          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "T. Ferguson" <orangecherokee@...> wrote:

          > I have started training my bines on the strings but I have noticed that the main bine has smaller bines (on the bottom)that are branching off of the main one. Do I need to trim those back or train them with the main stem?

          No one knows?

        • John Anane-Sefah
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
            As a first year grower, I've been waiting on a response to your original question too. I hope someone chimes in.

            - John

            On Tuesday, June 18, 2013, T. Ferguson wrote:

            --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "T. Ferguson" <orangecherokee@...> wrote:

            > I have started training my bines on the strings but I have noticed that the main bine has smaller bines (on the bottom)that are branching off of the main one. Do I need to trim those back or train them with the main stem?

            No one knows?

          • Rob Adams
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
              Once your bines start getting some height the lower 1' to 2' side growth basil (sp?) growth needs to be pruned. This keeps the base of the plant open to air so that mildew doesn't grow. I think that should answer your question.

              -Rob

              --
              Rob
            • Duane Miller
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                I am by no means an expert, but I do this:
                I train several of the strongest bines on each twine, and once it gets up about 8-10 feet or so, I snip everything off the bottom 2-3 feet so that there is only stem; all of the growth including side arms and leaves are removed only the main stem remains. This bottom growth can get pretty tangled, the leaves stay moist close to the ground and can become a source of infection.  All additional late emerging bines coming out of the hill are also removed. Leave everything else alone; the side arms you describe will also emerge up higher on the bine, and will produce burrs which will become the flowers.  Then you just need to monitor water and nutrient needs, and watch very closely for leaf/cone damage from bugs and try to react quickly.  For example last year I had a brief skirmish with moth caterpillars devouring leaves at night, and spider mites; insecticidal soap took care of both.

                On 6/18/2013 9:09 AM, John Anane-Sefah wrote:

                As a first year grower, I've been waiting on a response to your original question too. I hope someone chimes in.

                - John

                On Tuesday, June 18, 2013, T. Ferguson wrote:

                --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "T. Ferguson" <orangecherokee@...> wrote:

                > I have started training my bines on the strings but I have noticed that the main bine has smaller bines (on the bottom)that are branching off of the main one. Do I need to trim those back or train them with the main stem?

                No one knows?

              • anthony
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                  If they are growing off the bine like branches growing on a tree, do not cut them off, the hops will grow on them.  If they are completely different shoots, then I hear to trim them once you've got you're 2-3 shoots on a line.

                  Can you get us an image so we can see what were dealing with?

                  I'm a first year grower too, but I'd say (no matter how cliche) google and youtube are your friends.  Blow a few hours and check out as many videos and web sites on growing hops as you can.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                    can we get a picture?

                    thanks