File - Email_Folders

  • Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 42 , May 1 5:02 AM
      Dear fellow members,

      With all of the message traffic we have now in this group, you might
      like to know of a way to control it without leaving the group or
      changing your group settings to no email or daily digest. If you've left
      our group, you are receiving this message in case you left due to the large
      volume of messages during the busy months for the group. We also send this to the group occasionally so that new members who didn't get to read the messages they get when they join Grow-Hops can get a chance to read it.

      Some of you may not be aware of this, but most email programs have a
      great feature that largely remains unused. The two most popular
      programs, Outlook and Outlook Express, have this feature. Some web
      based email accounts have the ability to do this, too. The email program in Windows Vista and 7 also has this feature.

      You can set up a separate folder, say Grow hops, and set up a filter
      for incoming email filter to send all of the messages from that group
      into that folder, leaving your regular inbox for your other messages
      so that you don't have to hunt for the messages from your friends and
      relatives in between the grow hops messages.

      Use the built-in help in your program to find out how to do this, or
      do a Google search something like this (substitute your email program
      name for outlook:

      email filtering outlook rules -spam -junk

      Some tutorials on setting this up in the two most popular email
      programs (there may be easier tutorials if you do the search and take
      the time to look more of them over, but these looked OK to me):

      for Outlook Express
      http://helpdesk.gwu.edu/manuals/mailfilter/oe.html

      for Outlook (not Outlook.com)
      http://www.lboro.ac.uk/computing/email/outlook-filtering.html

      Yahoo Classic Mail:
      http://help.yahoo.com/tutorials/mmail/mmail/mm_filter1.html

      Newer Yahoo Mail:Upper right 'gear tool' -> Filters -> Add -> Grow-Hops
      and so forth...

      Hotmail (and Outlook.com) has ways of filtering messages that come from a
      specific source like our group. Use their help system to find out how
      to set this up. Some other web mail clients also can do this.

      Hopefully, this may be helpful to some of you.

      Donald
    • Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com