Re: [Grow-Hops] Re: Community Garden Plot

  • t2000kwt
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2013
      You can't always trust cultures taken from bottled beer,
      unfortunately. Some breweries use a different strain of yeast for
      bottle conditioning (if they carbonate naturally). Unless you know for
      a certainty that it's the same yeast used in the fermentation process,
      it's a crapshoot as to whether it's the same or not.

      From what you say, though, it sounds like Cascade would be a fitting
      substitute.

      On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:08:21 -0000, "Trevor" <tchickosky@...>
      wrote:

      >For what it's worth, the Bell's yeast strain has a fair amount of grapefruit/tangerine/citrus to it. Unless someone has bottle cultures some of their yeast, the clone recipes out there all have some cascade in them. I use them as bittering only as you still get a citrus note that way still. I think that is your best shot at getting some cascades In there.
    • Yeahman
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
        I ordered 3 Centennial and 3 Cascade so I think I got it covered! I am looking forward to this as a group project. I think the kids at the school will get a kick out of how fast and tall they grow too. Thanks for the help.

        --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, donhellen@... wrote:

        > You can't always trust cultures taken from bottled beer,
        > unfortunately. Some breweries use a different strain of yeast for
        > bottle conditioning (if they carbonate naturally). Unless you know for
        > a certainty that it's the same yeast used in the fermentation process,
        > it's a crapshoot as to whether it's the same or not.
        >
        > From what you say, though, it sounds like Cascade would be a fitting
        > substitute.
        >
        > On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:08:21 -0000, "Trevor" <tchickosky@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > >For what it's worth, the Bell's yeast strain has a fair amount of grapefruit/tangerine/citrus to it. Unless someone has bottle cultures some of their yeast, the clone recipes out there all have some cascade in them. I use them as bittering only as you still get a citrus note that way still. I think that is your best shot at getting some cascades In there.

      • Duane Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
          Beer yeast is a bit OT here, but the info I have is that the yeast dregs in a bottle of Bell's is the primary fermentation yeast.  I have cultured this yeast from the bottle and produced some incredible ale's, as have many others; the flavor profile is that of TWH.  The process is fairly simple but takes some time to achieve pitching quantities.  Contact me offline if you want more info, or just google the bottle culturing process. - Duane.

          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Yeahman" wrote:

          > The group of guys that helped determine the hops love bells two hearted which uses only centennial. Maybe I could "sneak" in some Cascades too! Thanks.
          >
          > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "tom" wrote:
          > >
          > > My cascades have done better than the centennial in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

        • t2000kwt
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
            Duane,

            I'm one of the group owners and I promise I won't kill you for being
            off topic a bit. :-)

            We're not in the middle of the high-activity season for hops growing
            in the northern hemisphere, so a small deviation from the topic won't
            hurt.

            The discussion could be moved to the Zymurgy group list to continue it
            further:

            Donald