20' 6"x6" treated posts or 3" (at top) red cedar posts?

  • ej71@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
      Posts will be buried 4' in the ground for a 16' trellis.

      I'd like to go with the cedar as a friend can provide those for half the price of the treated 6x6's.

      My concern is whether or not the cedar posts will be adequate in a 100' row with a support pole at 50'. Hop spacing will be around 3' to allow 16 plants between end pole and center pole.

      Any thoughts or experience as to whether the cedar will suffice if it is only 3" at the top (probably closer to 6-8" at bottom)?
    • ej71@rocketmail.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
          On Feb 1, 2013, at 6:23 PM, ej71@... wrote:
          > My concern is whether or not the cedar posts will be adequate in a 100' row with a support pole at 50'. Hop spacing will be around 3' to allow 16 plants between end pole and center pole.

          Are you saying you're spacing your posts 50 feet apart? Cedar poles are good, but will warp if you put too much on them. I'd suggest putting them 25'-30' per row, you'll be much happier.

          AJ
        • ej71@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
            That is correct, end posts are 100' apart with one support post in between them at 50'.

            I neglected to mention that I intend to use 5/16" 7x19 for top wire as well as for guy wire from top of end posts out at least 10' to a 4' earth anchor.

            Thanks for the quick reply!

            --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, Adam Frey wrote:

            > On Feb 1, 2013, at 6:23 PM, ej71@... wrote:
            > > My concern is whether or not the cedar posts will be adequate in a 100' row with a support pole at 50'. Hop spacing will be around 3' to allow 16 plants between end pole and center pole.
            >

            > Are you saying you're spacing your posts 50 feet apart? Cedar poles are good, but will warp if you put too much on them. I'd suggest putting them 25'-30' per row, you'll be much happier.
            >
            > AJ

          • James Altwies
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
              The pole is there to transfer some of the force to the ground. The tighter the mainline (less slack) the more force that is imparted to the cable. What does that have to do with pole size?  Basically in a static model all you would need is enough counter force in the guy wires to offset the force on the mainline. The pole has very little to do with the cancellation of forces in the cables. It would only need to be stout enough to resist the force of gravity

              But most of us live in the real world where live loads from wind, torsional forces etc are imparted on the pole. Oh and most people WAY underestimate the forces involved.

              I think if you brace the system at each pole with guy wires you poles you describe will be fine. But like AJ implied if you do not adequately brace the system your 3 inch poles will show a huge deflection especially if they are green wood.

              Sent from my iPod

              On Feb 1, 2013, at 8:39 PM, "ej71@..." <egj2010@...> wrote:

              That is correct, end posts are 100' apart with one support post in between them at 50'.

              I neglected to mention that I intend to use 5/16" 7x19 for top wire as well as for guy wire from top of end posts out at least 10' to a 4' earth anchor.

              Thanks for the quick reply!

              --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, Adam Frey wrote:

              > On Feb 1, 2013, at 6:23 PM, ej71@... wrote:
              > > My concern is whether or not the cedar posts will be adequate in a 100' row with a support pole at 50'. Hop spacing will be around 3' to allow 16 plants between end pole and center pole.
              >

              > Are you saying you're spacing your posts 50 feet apart? Cedar poles are good, but will warp if you put too much on them. I'd suggest putting them 25'-30' per row, you'll be much happier.
              >
              > AJ

            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
                --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "ej71@..." wrote:

                > Posts will be buried 4' in the ground for a 16' trellis.
                >
                > I'd like to go with the cedar as a friend can provide those for half the price of the treated 6x6's.
                >
                > My concern is whether or not the cedar posts will be adequate in a 100' row with a support pole at 50'. Hop spacing will be around 3' to allow 16 plants between end pole and center pole.
                >
                > Any thoughts or experience as to whether the cedar will suffice if it is only 3" at the top (probably closer to 6-8" at bottom)?

                The adaquacy of the posts depends upon them passing an engineering analysis.

                I am an engineer who has designed hops trellises with over five years in service with no failures to date. My fee is 110$/hr if you want to retain me.