Re: Are deer a problem?

  • lucybleu_22
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2011
      I have had some deer issues. But they dont seem to really get into the yard until mid-summer, when our presence in the yard is not as often as in the spring. However, thier timing seems to be just right to do my lower foliage removal. We will be adding some fencing though, because they do defoliate a little higher than we would prefer, and I dont want to be counting on them to keep the same timing.
      Che'
      Black Locust Hops

      --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@...> wrote:

      > not an issue. don't worry about it.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • gaviga1
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2011
        --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "mnhops" <hannahfriedrich@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am setting up my hop yard this spring and am debating if I need any type of fencing. Deer are on the property frequently. Will they eat any part of the hop plant? Thanks for any input

        I have deer and have found that, although they don't eat the whole plant, deer will nibble at the lower leaves and will eat off young shoots. I fence mine up to 4 feet and have had no problems.

        To clarify, it seems like deer do not like hops but try them out of curiosity. The little bit of damage is annoying but usually not fatal. I have a small number of plants (2 each of Chinook, Magnum, Mt Hood, and Zeus) outside my privacy fence so I don't like to risk it. If you are growing quantities like James Altwies/Gorst Valley Hops is, you might not want to trouble with it.

        Gary
      • atkiwhale
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011
          I have a deer problem with my apple tree, day lillies, flowers, and vegitable plants. The deer ignore my hops. They have to walk by my hops to get to everything else. It may be the nettles on the bines or the just don't like the taste. This is my forth year and my hops grow on a trellis clearly in reach of most deer.This subject has been covered in the forums for at least four years so you can look back on old discussions.
          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "lucybleu_22" <cccarton@...> wrote:

          > I have had some deer issues. But they dont seem to really get into the yard until mid-summer, when our presence in the yard is not as often as in the spring. However, thier timing seems to be just right to do my lower foliage removal. We will be adding some fencing though, because they do defoliate a little higher than we would prefer, and I dont want to be counting on them to keep the same timing.
          > Che'
          > Black Locust Hops
          >

          > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@> wrote:
          > >
          > > not an issue. don't worry about it.
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • lucybleu_22
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011
            For the last 2 years they have begun in our yard sometime in july, and over a 2 week period or so, have defoliated all 400 plants from the ground to 5 feet high. Manly during the night or the wee hours.

            --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "atkiwhale" <atkiwhale51@...> wrote:

            > I have a deer problem with my apple tree, day lillies, flowers, and vegitable plants. The deer ignore my hops. They have to walk by my hops to get to everything else. It may be the nettles on the bines or the just don't like the taste. This is my forth year and my hops grow on a trellis clearly in reach of most deer.This subject has been covered in the forums for at least four years so you can look back on old discussions.
            > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "lucybleu_22" <cccarton@> wrote:
            > >

            > > I have had some deer issues. But they dont seem to really get into the yard until mid-summer, when our presence in the yard is not as often as in the spring. However, thier timing seems to be just right to do my lower foliage removal. We will be adding some fencing though, because they do defoliate a little higher than we would prefer, and I dont want to be counting on them to keep the same timing.
            > > Che'
            > > Black Locust Hops
            > >

            > > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > not an issue. don't worry about it.
            > > >

            > > > ________________________________

          • James Altwies
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011
              hops are a food source of last resort.  if you're in a residential area and have browsing deer at night, likely there is little food around so hops are easiest but not very tasty...

            • cccarton@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011

                Well I wish we had the same scenario as you guys, but we are in the middle of the country very low population, huge tracts of forest and farm feild land.  I doubt that they are lacking in things to eat, in the middle of the summer?  I would guess that they would prefer the small spring shoots if anything, but they only eat the leaves and the newly forming spurs.  They travel through the farm all year long, and we tend to shoot one or so for meat in the winter, but that doesnt keep them away for long. I remember asking this same question when we started, and getting the same answer"deer are not a problem".  I just wanted to let the poster know that it is possible that they might eat all the foliage that they can reach, but with fully grow bines, that isnt the biggest deal, in july.  If I could only train them like they do the sheep in new zealand, I could save my defoliating labor. :)

                hops are a food source of last resort.  if you're in a residential area and have browsing deer at night, likely there is little food around so hops are easiest but not very tasty...

                For the last 2 years they have begun in our yard sometime in july, and over a 2 week period or so, have defoliated all 400 plants from the ground to 5 feet high. Manly during the night or the wee hours.

                --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "atkiwhale" <atkiwhale51@...> wrote:

                > I have a deer problem with my apple tree, day lillies, flowers, and vegitable plants. The deer ignore my hops. They have to walk by my hops to get to everything else. It may be the nettles on the bines or the just don't like the taste. This is my forth year and my hops grow on a trellis clearly in reach of most deer.This subject has been covered in the forums for at least four years so you can look back on old discussions.
                > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "lucybleu_22" <cccarton@> wrote:
                > >

                > > I have had some deer issues. But they dont seem to really get into the yard until mid-summer, when our presence in the yard is not as often as in the spring. However, thier timing seems to be just right to do my lower foliage removal. We will be adding some fencing though, because they do defoliate a little higher than we would prefer, and I dont want to be counting on them to keep the same timing.
                > > Che'
                > > Black Locust Hops
                > >

                > > --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > not an issue. don't worry about it.

              • Charley Renn
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011

                  My experience in the suburban forest area of Oregon is the deer are not as careful as I am defoliating and often bite through the bine itself, killing everything above that point.  I ended up fencing them out.

                  Charley

                  Corvallis, OR