Bines per string

  • Noel Curry
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi folks,

      I started growing hops properly three years ago with one early bird plant. It wasn't properly strung up but still gave me 4 lbs. hops.
      I then invested in three more varieties; Target, Phoenix and Boudicca. I let them settle in for a year and then in their second year expected a good yield.
      I got 1/2 lb. from all four plants combined.

      I've been trying to put my finger on what I did wrong - can anyone help?

      Three of the plants reached full (15 feet) height (the fourth, Boudicca, is dwarf).
      I gave each plant two strings, and cut them back to one bine per string - is this enough? Should I leave 2/3 bines per string?
      The lower leaves (under 8 feet) seemed to die off early, going brown.
      There were green aphids on the leaves but they didn't seem to be excessive - could they have inhibited hop flower production.
      Those hops which did grow were small and underdeveloped.
      Should I water more often (I did it once every ten days or so)?

      Winters here are not too cold, we only reached 10 F. / -12 C. and we had snow for a couple or three weeks. I cut the plants back to the earth in September.

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Noel, Scotland.
    • James Altwies
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
        Noel,
            Yield is heavily variety dependent but as you know, is also impacted by the balance between "sink" (number or flowers, veg. material, etc) and the "source" (leaves, roots, and the ratio between the underground and above ground plant parts).  The difference in yield between young and mature plants is mostly due to this ratio.

            Having said that, I like to see 3-4 bines/plant trained...so two bines per string in your case.  If you have matyure plants with an established root system (big source) and prune off too much of the veg. portion (sink), the root:shoot ratio becomes imbalanced and the roots try to push more shoots to create photosynthates.  This constantly drains the energy in the plant system and the single most energy expensive activity for a plant is creating flowers...

        Kindly,
        James

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
          Maybe Nematoads?

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
            Noel  I here nothing about nutrients,aphids can do a lot of damage  any photos  Cheers Glen