Re: Fusilade, or other post emergent herbicides.

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 25, 2010
      Google for Ornamec.

      --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "corky" <eldockoderocko@...> wrote:

      > Will it kill Bermuda grass? I haven't found anything yet that will but I'm still looking.
      > --

    • James Altwies
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2010
        Ornamec is labeled for use on ornamental crops only.  Fusilade is registered for use in food crops.  They both have the same active ingredient but the formulations are either different or Ornamec never underwent food safety trials...

        > Will it kill Bermuda grass? I haven't found anything yet that will but I'm still looking.
        > --

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2010
          Correct and good point. The OP didn't specify needing control on Hops per se, although may be a good assumption here. Ortho's grass-b-gon is the same AI and available for homeowner use (also not labeled for use on food crops within 1 year of bearing, always read and follow the label...it's the law) Is Fusilade available (legally) now for homeowner purchase and use? Used to be available only for use by licensed applicators.

          Chris

          --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@...> wrote:

          > Ornamec is labeled for use on ornamental crops only. Fusilade is registered for
          > use in food crops. They both have the same active ingredient but the
          > formulations are either different or Ornamec never underwent food safety
          > trials...
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2010
            I've used one in the past called Poast. I think there may be homeowner formulations out there with this AI registered for use on food crops. Label indicates control of Bermuda grass but I have no direct experience to confirm. The MOA is similar (different chemistry though) to the Fusilade AI in that it inhibits an enzyme abbreviated ACCase and thus inhibits fatty acid synthesis.

            As always read and follow the label precisely and check for use on Hops, if that is your intended application.

            Chris

            --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@...> wrote:

            > Ornamec is labeled for use on ornamental crops only. Fusilade is registered for
            > use in food crops. They both have the same active ingredient but the
            > formulations are either different or Ornamec never underwent food safety
            > trials...
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Matt Rodgers
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 8, 2010
              Poast kills grasses and not broad leafs, (hops, coffee weed (sicklepod), clover) but works really slowly, 2 weeks or so. I tried it on a few plants this year. I'd be interested in this fulisade, what is the active ingredient? there may be other generic versions available.

              I've used one in the past called Poast. I think there may be homeowner formulations out there with this AI registered for use on food crops. Label indicates control of Bermuda grass but I have no direct experience to confirm. The MOA is similar (different chemistry though) to the Fusilade AI in that it inhibits an enzyme abbreviated ACCase and thus inhibits fatty acid synthesis.

              As always read and follow the label precisely and check for use on Hops, if that is your intended application.

              Chris

              --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, James Altwies <jraltwies@...> wrote:

              > Ornamec is labeled for use on ornamental crops only. Fusilade is registered for
              > use in food crops. They both have the same active ingredient but the
              > formulations are either different or Ornamec never underwent food safety
              > trials...
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Jim Johnson
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 9, 2010
                On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 22:34:46 -0700 (PDT)

                Fusilade and Poast are the same chemical. And you're
                right, it is really slow. I had best results on Johnson
                grass by spraying three times at two week intervals and
                got season long control. The bad news is that the Johnson
                grass is back the next year like nothing ever happened.

                JJ

              • t2000kwt
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 10, 2010
                  Johnson grass seeds can last as long as 50 years, according to an OSU agricultural student I talked with. So you can kill the plants, but you can't kill all the seeds unless you dig up all the ground there and bake it. Not practical, of course. You can also poison the soil (not recommended) but you won't be able to grow anything there for a long time. Again, not a practical approach.

                  Donald

                  --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Johnson" <alamosa@...> wrote:

                  > On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 22:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
                  >

                  > Fusilade and Poast are the same chemical. And you're
                  > right, it is really slow. I had best results on Johnson
                  > grass by spraying three times at two week intervals and
                  > got season long control. The bad news is that the Johnson
                  > grass is back the next year like nothing ever happened.
                  >
                  > JJ
                  >

                  > Matt Rodgers <watereebrew@...> wrote:
                  > > Poast kills grasses and not broad leafs, (hops, coffee
                  > >weed (sicklepod), clover)
                  > > but works really slowly, 2 weeks or so. I tried it on a
                  > >few plants this year.
                  > > I'd be interested in this fulisade, what is the active
                  > >ingredient? there may be
                  > > other generic versions available.

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 10, 2010
                    Not exactly the same chemical but same mode of action, lipid biosynthesis inhibition. Given that, I'm not surprised they are both slow acting.

                    Chris