Re: Plants above ground

  • sconnybrew
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1 10:22 AM
      I'm in Minneapolis. Mine are about 4 feet tall. Last weekend I trimmed back to 2 vines per rhizome. 2nd year! I had about an ounc e of hops last year.

      --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Henager <jhenager1@...> wrote:

      > Oh, man, 10 feet already? I just planted mine in containers. I'm at 34° 7' 14" N. Elevation is 1,184 FT.

    • Doug Rooney
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1 4:00 PM

        So, my plan this year is 4 bines per plant, any opinions?

        ~Dr.Doug

        I'm in Minneapolis. Mine are about 4 feet tall. Last weekend I trimmed back to 2 vines per rhizome. 2nd year! I had about an ounc e of hops last year.

        --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Henager <jhenager1@...> wrote:

        > Oh, man, 10 feet already? I just planted mine in containers. I'm at 34° 7'
        14" N. Elevation is 1,184 FT.

      • Pier-André Maynard
        Message 3 of 25 , May 1 4:10 PM
          You should be fine.
          I heard that you can go up to 3 bines per string.
          I put 4 strings on each plan on mine (2nd year) and reduces to 4-5 bines.

          Cheers
          P-A

          2010/5/1 Doug Rooney <drooney57@...>

          So, my plan this year is 4 bines per plant, any opinions?

          ~Dr.Doug

        • James Altwies
          Message 4 of 25 , May 1 4:40 PM
            that's our standard

            So, my plan this year is 4 bines per plant, any opinions?

            ~Dr.Doug

            I'm in Minneapolis. Mine are about 4 feet tall. Last weekend I trimmed back to 2 vines per rhizome. 2nd year! I had about an ounc e of hops last year.

            --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogrou ps.com, Jeffrey Henager <jhenager1@.. .> wrote:

            > Oh, man, 10 feet already? I just planted mine in containers. I'm at 34° 7' 14" N. Elevation is 1,184 FT.

          • eric koper
            Message 5 of 25 , May 1 6:01 PM
              Do you stagger vines going up? I let 3 go up, wait 3 weeks and let 3 more go, I do this 3 x's.

              Eric

              So, my plan this year is 4 bines per plant, any opinions?

              ~Dr.Doug

              I'm in Minneapolis. Mine are about 4 feet tall. Last weekend I trimmed back to 2 vines per rhizome. 2nd year! I had about an ounc e of hops last year.

              --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogrou ps.com, Jeffrey Henager <jhenager1@.. .> wrote:

              > Oh, man, 10 feet already? I just planted mine in containers. I'm at 34° 7' 14" N. Elevation is 1,184 FT.

            • Jeffrey Henager
              Message 6 of 25 , May 1 6:36 PM
                Ok, just to keep everything straight, I'm planting from rhizomes - first year. Level playing field?

                Message 7 of 25 , May 1 7:22 PM
                  if this is the first year for your plants do not prune anything.  train the strongest 4 bines and let the rest grow on the ground.  year 2 you can prune off everything but the 4 strongest bines that will be trained...

                  Ok, just to keep everything straight, I'm planting from rhizomes - first year. Level playing field?

                  I'm in Minneapolis. Mine are about 4 feet tall. Last weekend I trimmed back to 2 vines per rhizome. 2nd year! I had about an ounc e of hops last year.

                  --- In Grow-Hops@yahoogrou ps.com, Jeffrey Henager <jhenager1@. ..> wrote:

                  > Oh, man, 10 feet already? I just planted mine in containers. I'm at 34° 7' 14" N. Elevation is 1,184 FT.

                • Jeffery Fishback
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 4 9:11 PM
                    Is this "sorting/cleaning operation" a huge investment? Where does it become cost affective: 500 bines? Or 1000 bines, etc? Is it a desing that can be fabricated locally or is it purchased equipment?

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 5 5:07 AM
                      We have calculated that a 1 acre high density plantation (1250 plants) will require approximately 400 labor hours to harvest manually when mature.  So it really becomes a question of what would you rather do...hire and manage 25 people to pick or have 3-4 people running a picker/sorter?  There are no short cuts...

                      All of this equipment is custom built.  perhaps once we're satisfied that we have the bugs all worked out they would be available for purchase but not anytime soon.  Since you only get 1 time per year to test it takes a while to get your kinks worked out.

                      But I can tell you expect to spend in the low 5 figures whether or not you buy one or have one built...

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 5 4:33 PM
                        I was out in the hop garden planting my Zeus today and eyeballed the height of the rest of my hops.

                        Cascade @ 15 ft
                        Chinook @ 14 ft
                        Nugget @ 13 ft
                        Tettnang @ 11 ft
                        Crystal @ 10 ft
                        Saaz @ 4
                        Centennial @ 4

                        The Centennial was moved twice last year. First time was from a good spot that we needed for other uses to a poor spot, then to a so-so spot. If it does poorly there after a couple of years, it will be moved again, maybe to replace Saaz if it doesn't do well here. Saaz gets a bit more sunlight, I think, but not much more.

                        I think it would have been at least 10 feet high if I hadn't done that last year.

                        Donald