Using Grouply for "shopping" on Freecycle / Gifting groups

  • Eric Snyder
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2008
      If you are a Freecycle /FullCircles / ReUseIt member "shopping" for something in a densely populated metropolitan area, Grouply is for you.

      With Grouply, I'm able to easily monitor and search 21 different Freecycle/Gifting groups in the Ottawa/Eastern Ontario area of Canada, a metropolitan area with a population of 1 million.

      This morning, a user on one group was looking for a blender.  With a few keystrokes, I was able to search for "offer blender" across 19 of the 223 Yahoo!groups I'm a member of.  Grouply returned the following:

      It's 3 years old, hardly used, but the bottom is loose and leaking.
      Unrated
      0 unread
      0
      Bookmarks
      0
      0
      Last Posting
      Judy
      10/21 12:39pm
      May be good for handy-type person looking for parts. The little rubber turning thing in the middle snapped. Glass jar still ...
      Unrated
      0 unread
      0
      Bookmarks
      0
      0
      Last Posting
      sherr...
      10/8 8:10pm
      ... The base/motor for an Oster/Sunbeam blender. Broke the top. __________________________________________________________ ...
      Unrated
      0 unread
      0
      Bookmarks
      0
      0
      Last Posting
      Sheri R.
      10/4 3:06pm
      ... this is just the base for the blender. I broke the top this time - last time I ignited the base and got rid of the top. ...
      Unrated
      0 unread
      0
      Bookmarks
      0
      0
      Last Posting
      Sheri R.
      9/24 9:57pm
      ... Cookbook by Ken 'The General' Grant Recette au Blender by Juliette Huot (French) Housemaster Microwave Cooking ...
      Unrated
      0 unread
      0
      Bookmarks
      0
      0
      Last Posting
      isico...
      9/22 7:52am
      ... Blender has a timer. 14 different modes: tir, whip, shred, beat, grate, chop, mix, grind, crumb, shake, aerate, puree, ...
      Unrated
      0 unread
      0
      Bookmarks
      0
      0
      Last Posting
      commc...
      9/18 9:29am

      3 blenders on 3 different groups.  But, of course, you MUST be a member of all of the groups in order to use the power of Grouply to search them all simultaneously.  It just takes a few minutes to do this, and it could save you having to go out and purchase a new appliance.

      Pretty cool, huh?

      Eric Snyder
      FullCircles Advocate
      Ottawa.FullCircles.org

      PS:  I use this power to watch for major appliance for the local Canadian Red Cross chapter.