Phase 1 of Grouply Owner Controls now available

  • Mark Robins
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
      Here's a link to the Grouply Owner Controls page that will enable you
      to block your group from Grouply:
      http://www.grouply.com/owner_controls.php .

      You do not need to register with Grouply to use Grouply Owner
      Controls, and you do not need to submit any personal information. You
      can use Grouply Owner Controls whether or not your group is already in
      Grouply. The process to block a group is relatively straightforward
      and should take only about a minute to complete. Here are the steps
      if you need them: http://blog.grouply.com/protect#block .

      After you block your group from Grouply, all current Grouply users
      will no longer be able to use Grouply to access this group, and they
      will receive an email to this effect. Group members who join Grouply
      in the future will not be able to start using Grouply for the group.
      Here is an example of what group members will see for a blocked group
      on the Update Group Access page in Grouply:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/96746397@N00/2265903978/sizes/o/ .

      Owners who permit their groups to be accessed via Grouply can prevent
      "Invite My Group" postings if they want. Follow these steps to
      disable the Invite My Group feature:
      http://blog.grouply.com/protect#prevent_invites .

      Here is what's included in Phase 1 of Owner Controls:
      A few other points to note:

      * One open issue is that a user's membership in a blocked group may
      still appear on their profile page in Grouply. We are tracking this
      issue in ticket #3095 in our system and will have this fixed shortly.

      * We will place an image on www.grouply.com shortly directing group
      owners to the Owner Controls page.

      * We will begin the process of notifying the owners of groups already
      in Grouply about these Owner Controls shortly.

      * The user interface and text for the Owner Controls pages is not as
      clear as we would like. We will continue to improve this, but we
      didn't want to hold up releasing the functionality for this.

      These Owner Control features have been through several rounds of
      testing and seem to work well. That said, there may be bugs, as this
      will be the first time these features will be used by many people. If
      you encounter any issues, please let us know about them at
      support-at-grouply-dot-com so that we can get on it quickly. We
      welcome any other feedback you may have on Grouply Owner Controls and
      how to improve them.

      Thanks again for your patience while we developed Phase 1 of these
      important features. There's more to come.

      Mark
    • Tricia Jumonville
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
        Thanks, folks, for the new opt out feature - I opted out all of my lists, as
        did several other people I know who aren't on these lists.

        Now, how about that "don't touch the lists until the owner okays it" feature
        like YahooGroups has for approving new members, allowing two weeks for the
        owner to act and then sending a "sorry, the list owner didn't approve" post
        that doesn't assume that if the owner didn't approve that the owner DOES
        approve? We KNOW it can be done, because we're already using it in
        YahooGroups. So could we please, pretty please with sugar on top, have
        that?

        Tricia Jumonville
      • GranGran3
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
          Mark -- thanks for your patience and making these controls available. For now I'm gonna wait a bit on Grouply.........but that's not to say that as I see more, the situation won't change.

          I'm really impressed with your willingness to work with the problems that are listed.

          Shirley aka GranGran

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • texas critter
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
            On 2/14/08, Mark Robins <markrobins@...> wrote:
            > Here's a link to the Grouply Owner Controls page that will enable you
            > to block your group from Grouply:
            > http://www.grouply.com/owner_controls.php .

            They work very nicely, thank you! Very speedy with the emails and
            both the opt out and just disabling invites worked very well.

            --
            texas critter

            Glenfinnan Web Hosting
            http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
          • Mike Southern
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
              On 2/14/08 5:55 PM, Mark Robins at markrobins@... wrote:

              > Here's a link to the Grouply Owner Controls page that will enable you
              > to block your group from Grouply:
              > http://www.grouply.com/owner_controls.php .

              And very effective it is. Quick, and nicely done.
            • debbie@actcom.co.il
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
                At 08:53 PM 2/14/2008 -0600, texas critter wrote:
                >On 2/14/08, Mark Robins <markrobins@...> wrote:
                > > Here's a link to the Grouply Owner Controls page that will enable you
                > > to block your group from Grouply:
                > > http://www.grouply.com/owner_controls.php .
                >
                >They work very nicely, thank you! Very speedy with the emails and
                >both the opt out and just disabling invites worked very well.

                That's right. It worked very well. In addition, I checked the
                management logs shortly after on each of the groups I disabled and
                the change in email address was already evident for the @grouply
                users of those groups. That was quick!

                Thanks to Mark and Rich. While I personally have no use for Grouply,
                I'm keeping an open mind and will re-enable when everything is
                straightened out and if there are members that would like to use it.

                DM
              • Rich Reimer
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2008
                  As mentioned in the original post by Mark, we had an open
                  issue where a user's membership in a blocked group may
                  still appear on their profile page in Grouply. This was
                  tracked as ticket #3095 in our system.

                  This issue is now fixed.

                  If you find any issues with this or just have question on
                  this, contact me at rich@....

                  Rich

                • shadowdog1944
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 15, 2008
                    Mark..I wish to thank you for being so patient and receptive to us in
                    this regard (and thanks for the email on this). While I think the
                    service you are offering is a good one for a lot of Yahoo groups and
                    group members, one size does not fit all. Those groups that really
                    need their membership information and messages secure within the
                    group appreciate the opportunity you have now offered for a layer of
                    protection against being entered into your system. :o))

                    --- In GrouplyImprovements@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Robins"