Yahoo Groups Applications Shutting Down?

  • tonyny77
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
      Wow! I had to read that banner message several times to make sure I read it correctly. That doesn't sound like a maintenance outage to me; it sounds like the Applications feature is going bye-bye for good. Did I misunderstand that banner message?

      Although my groups didn't use many of the application features, I really appreciated having the ones we did use. This news is not good and I hope it's not an indication of other such forthcoming changes.

      Any other thoughts on this?

      Tony M.
    • EricS
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2012
        Perhaps this was predictable. There has been very little uptake and use of applications in most of the groups I'm involved with.

        But, we've implemented and used Applications fairly extensively on at least one of my groups. Looks like we'll just lose all of our efforts. Perhaps we can find a way to export the data and develop some kind of replacements within Google docs.

        I don't recall getting any notice about this whatsoever. Seems a pretty shoddy way to implement change.

        Eric
        ============

        --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, "tonyny77" <tonyrony@...> wrote:

        > Wow! I had to read that banner message several times to make sure I read it correctly. That doesn't sound like a maintenance outage to me; it sounds like the Applications feature is going bye-bye for good. Did I misunderstand that banner message?
        >
        > Although my groups didn't use many of the application features, I really appreciated having the ones we did use. This news is not good and I hope it's not an indication of other such forthcoming changes.
        >
        > Any other thoughts on this?
        >
        > Tony M.

      • Master
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2012
          I just now saw the July 04 warning about shutting down Labs. Why did the put it in the Banner Ad; instead of in the header of the group where they put the other warnings? Manybe because no one would see it until it was too late and they wouldn't have to deal with t he onslaught of questions by group owners who appreciate the labs as I do and still say we told you. I guess it is easier to shut them down than to fix them. two of my groups entirely revolve around the address book app in Labs because it is serachable and that makes finding ppl and docs very quick and easy and also allows me to monitor the group in ways I can't without it. I have tried to get issues with the address book fix numerous times and they all seem to be ignbored so I created work-a-rounds. I should have known they would take the easy way out. The Labs were an excellent endeavor; lacking only a creditable support tier. If I were the optium optimist, I would hope Yahoo made the Files and Photo sections searchable like the address book; but realistically after using Yahoo for the past 10 years I have become the optium pessimist. Or maybe they are incorporating the most popular apps in the labs into the main component. The code is already in place and working, how could shutting the Labs down save money? Oh yea, support. Well, they never had a real support of the Labs anyway so the savings will be minimal. I do not have the resources to convert the groups to a life without the address book, so I wills terminate them. Thanks Yahoo! I am sure I am not the only one in predicament.

          I have never found a way of backing the apps up. Does anyone know of a way of backing them up?
          Master

          --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, "tonyny77" <tonyrony@...> wrote:

          > Wow! I had to read that banner message several times to make sure I read it correctly. That doesn't sound like a maintenance outage to me; it sounds like the Applications feature is going bye-bye for good. Did I misunderstand that banner message?
          >
          > Although my groups didn't use many of the application features, I really appreciated having the ones we did use. This news is not good and I hope it's not an indication of other such forthcoming changes.
          >
          > Any other thoughts on this?
          >
          > Tony M.

        • cmurphy
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2012
            Our group is DEVASTATED (actually, that word is not strong enough to convey our feeling) that the Applications are being shut down.

            We are a meet-and-greet social group and use the Address Book & Profile app like a private, more secure Facebook. The Yahoo database is crap next to having that personalized app with people's photos.

            Not to mention the months and months of work we've put into the other 10 or 15 apps and listings we made. We essentially chose Yahoo for our group BECAUSE OF the apps. Why stay?

            We're looking at other sites and where to re-host. The basic functions of Yahoo Groups just won't cut it for us. Any suggestions?