Adopting ownerless abandoned groups

  • err4err
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
      [I wrote this in reply to a similar thread on another group.]

      Yahoo! now has a process in place where the MEMBERS of abandoned, ownerless and moderatorless groups can elect someone who Yahoo! will promote to be a MODERATOR with full privileges.

      The final election of the moderator MUST BE DONE USING THE GROUP'S POLLING FEATURE which shows the addresses of those who voted.

      If the poll feature is not turned on for the group, you will have to write to customer care to have them turn it on for you. Yahoo! will answer any questions you have to have a MODERATOR appointed. If you ask, they will also tell you where to write if you need to have your group removed from the "Adult" category and returned to it's former category. NOTE: If your group allows its members to hide their email addresses, the group cannot use the poll feature and cannot use this process.

      Notice, I said: "MODERATOR with full privileges". The winner of this poll election will be appointed as a "moderator", and will be given all the privileges that an owner has, BUT WITHOUT the title and the protection that the title of owner gives. This means that the new moderator will have to be very careful which privileges they give to other moderators, if they choose any to help them. [The other moderators could either change their own settings and/or demote, delete or ban the appointed moderator if they are given the wrong privileges.]

      Also, to the best of my knowledge, YAHOO! WILL NOT TURN THE OWNERSHIP OF ANY GROUP OVER TO SOMEONE ELSE. The last standing owner/address will remain being the owner of record for the group, and cannot be removed - even if they've been bouncing for years, and are presumed dead. [Protection that the owner title has.]

      In May 2009, using this process, we were able to gain control of our former group, which we were forced to abandon in June 2006, when we started a new group. [The owner had last posted in 2001, and we had kept this group going, in spite of spam and porn, until a particularly nasty flame war.] This old group is once again actively posting on topic, [our new group had expanded it's range of topics], and is new spam and porn free which the full privileges given to our new moderators allows us to do. [We have also gained over 300 members since reactivating this group.]

      To do this, I wrote to customer care. Asked them to turn on the poll feature because we wanted to elect a MODERATOR, because our owner last posted in 2001, and if there was anything else we need to do/know about this process.

      Following Yahoo!'s suggestions, I ran 2 polls, which showed the address of the voter. In the first one, I asked if anyone wanted to be considered for the position. [Yes, I want to. No I don't.] For the second poll I used the addresses of those who said "Yes" as the candidates to be voted for by the group. Each poll ran for one full week. When I closed the final poll, I sent the results back to customer care, and that morning, we had our Moderator with all the privileges to run the group. To make sure that this doesn't happen to this group again, we now have 3 equal mods with full privileges [the same as 3 co-owners] running the group.

      OK, the above takes care of the abandoned, moderatorless groups where the owner is MIA. "NNN", I'll add my comments about groups with moderators to your post below.

      --- In xxxxx@yahoogroups.com, "NNN" <xxxxx@...> wrote:

      > There are two groups that need to have the owner changed.

      Suggestion: Erase, delete, expunge, totally wipe that thought from your mind!

      YAHOO! WILL NOT TURN THE OWNERSHIP OF ANY GROUP OVER TO SOMEONE ELSE.

      The owner OWNS the group. If the owner wanted to "share" the group, or wanted to insure that the group continued, even if they didn't, they would have appointed a co-owner while they could. If they meant to, but never got around to it, <shrug> too bad!

      > One group the owner's email address is bouncing and has been for a few years. I have no way to get in touch with him. He was very ill and might have died.

      You didn't say, but for this discussion, let's say that you are a mod with limited privileges, and are having problems running the group because of it. What Yahoo! will do, I can't say. Nobody that was in this situation, that I'm aware of, has written back to tell us the outcome. I suggest that you write to customer care. Tell them that you're a mod, appointed by the owner who is now MIA [bouncing, last heard from, etc.], and ask if it is possible for them to give you more privileges, so that you can properly run the group and appoint other mods to help you. If they won't change your privileges, ask if the group members can elect a mod to run the group. Notice: no mention of being made/changing owners.

      > The other group I was just made moderator. When the owner quit being active the owner had forgotten her password and couldn't make the moderator owner.
      > Now that we are several moderators passed the original owner it would be nice to have the settings accurate so necessary changes can be done.

      If a mod has been given the privilege to appoint other mods, they already have all the controls that they need - they can go to their own settings and give themselves all the other privileges that an owner has.

      > Any suggestions?

      Just a few comments. Personally, for myself, I don't care if I have the title of owner or moderator ..... just that I have all the controls to make the necessary changes and choices to run the group the way it should be. If I'm a mod, I'll just have to be careful which privileges I give to other mods.

      There is at least one case, that I know of, where, in the final poll, there was only one candidate with one vote [their own], and Yahoo! appointed that person as a moderator.

      BTW, I've heard of another case where the owner awoke from their deep sleep. Seems they weren't happy and banned the appointed mods.

      FWIW, HTH,

      --
      Ellen in Queens, NY
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
        I can see the owner of the yahoo group (the one I'd like to remove the spam
        from, vanilladeville) in Yahoo messenger, but when she is on, her status is
        ALWAYS set to busy when I try to IM her. Since creating the poll on Jan
        30th, no votes have been cast. If I vote, will that one vote count enough
        for Yahoo to elect me Moderator for the group to remove the spam and ban the
        spammers?

        Steve
      • rmyers2051
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2010
          I must have done something wrong in my process. I ran the poll, sent info to customer care, waited two weeks and sent info again. That was last week, still nothing.  i used the online form for this, is this not the correct way?