A forum for SERIOUS club founders

  • OldOnliner
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 1999
      Yup... the subject sums it up. After seeing a
      HUGE and FEATURED founders club going bonkers with not
      much more than advertisements for other clubs, I
      (reluctantly) decided to create this club.<br><br>Don't post
      JUST to advertise your clubs. Listing your club in
      your signature or comment space is perfectly
      acceptable just make sure there's content in your post (NO
      "hi club...signature" ad/posts). <br><br>Post
      something about being a Yahoo Club founder or member. What
      suggestions do you have for improving Yahoo Clubs? What works
      for growing your club? When is it a good idea to
      create an unlisted club? How do you manage the role of
      founder on multiple clubs? How do you manage playing
      founder on one club and member on others? How do you
      promote chat events? There is power in
      numbers.<br><br>Ask "How to" questions: "How do you do...[function of
      your choice]?" We all have to learn
      somewhere.<br><br>Through the contributions of its members this club can
      become a powerful voice for education, quality, change
      and improvement in Yahoo Clubs -- provided we work
      and focus on that as our collective goal.<br><br>Good
      day.<br><br>Mark
    • almost_luminous <almost_luminous@yahoo.c
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2002
        Hello
        I am the founder of a poetry group here on Yahoo.
        I want to improve the quality of my group and I'm looking for
        ideas/suggestions.
        My group is small, but active. I have worked very hard to get the
        few members I have :)
        I don't know how to properly advertise my group so it reaches the
        audience I'm targeting....writers, poets, etc. I don't want the
        spam or marketing junk mails that seem to appear in larger groups.
        I'm a new member here, so this is my first post....
        I'm hoping I can learn something here :)
        take care,
        Amanda
      • yah00_invites
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2002
          almost_luminous wrote:
          > My group is small, but active. I have worked very hard to get the
          > few members I have :)
          > I don't know how to properly advertise my group so it reaches the
          > audience I'm targeting....writers, poets, etc.

          In my humble opinion, what I recommend is that you visit
          other "writers/poets" groups. Be active in those groups, and after
          you've made some friends, invite some of them to visit your group.

          The important thing is NEVER join a group with the sole purpose of
          gathering up the email addresses (or Yahoo IDs) of people you are
          going to invite. This is something that some people refer to
          as "list harvesting", and it can give a group a bad reputation.

          Another thing you can do in the groups you visit, if the moderators
          will allow it, is to leave a signature at the bottom of your post
          with your group's URL. You should leave the signature very small, no
          more than two lines (like the one I have at the bottom).

          Also, always remember to include your group's URL in your profile.
          People who look at your profile won't know where your group is unless
          you have it listed there.

          Most of all, have patience. Having a huge amount of members is nice,
          but it ain't everything. It's always better to have a few quality
          members who actually contribute to the group, than a bunch of members
          who never post.

        • naturallyweird
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 10, 2002
            >inviting from the interest lists

            To be ultra safe, I prefer to email these people rather than use the
            Invite feature.

            Nice name, Joe. (Joe happens to be my name :))

            I like the idea of setting a trap, but it entails either having an
            open Members list (which I see no reason for) or posting every now
            and then using the fake ID, which would be a pain and something
            about which I would have to deceive group members.

            I think I have told my Moderator to report to me any suspicious spam
            or invitations to other lists, but just in case I have not, I will
            tell her that later tonight.

            Here's one more good suggestion for the original poster:
            Ask your group members to recruit for you. (Bribing them with
            Moderator powers might help.)

            [excessive quoting deleted]
          • storybellz
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
              Hi Everyone!

              I just wanted to sent my thanks to the founder of this group, and to
              all who contribute at help making this one of the most interesting
              and helpful internet groups i've ever been to! Already, i've learned
              so much! Unfortunitly, I'm addicted! There's never an end to the
              tips'n tricks a person can use to enhance their group, esp. the home
              page!

              Too bad i didn't know about you guys, back when i first created my
              group! This group is great!

              Thanks everyone!

              p.s.

              there is something i'm confussed about though...

              If anybody here is anything like me, you created your group as a
              free alternative to a web-site. I was a kid, back when i started
              mine 2 yrs ago; i guess basically i still am ^_^, anyway, i know
              there are actual "free" web-sites, like GeoCities, but they are more
              complicated, and didn't have as much photo/file space, so i opted
              for a group, esp. since groups had the menue all pre-made: photos,
              files, database, messege-board, links.... And, that was very
              atractive to a begginer like mem who is very young, had no money,
              and knew nothing about the computer!

              So, I created mine, thinking of it as sort of a pre-made web-site,
              which just happened to also double as a mailing-list. But, i think
              of it primary as a site- not as a messege-board/mailing list. To my
              mind, those were just features to the site itself. And, those
              features worked great for me, since my group was created as a fan-
              site for my favorite singer anyway. That way, i could communicate
              with other fans, as-well as have a site, complete with photos and
              such...

              What i don't understand is, for kids/teens who have limited options,
              why would they start-off with one of those free sites, (like what
              has been suggested to me) with annoying pop-ups, and lots of
              complications, when with Y!Groups, you can get almost all the same
              features a free "site" offers, minus the confussion and annoyance?

              I guess what i want to know is, is there anyone else like me, who
              thinks of their Y!Group as more of a "web-site" w/ messege-board,
              rather than just simply a "mailing-list" w/ messege-baord?

              I feel like i'm the only one who sees Y!Groups that way.

              storybellz- founder of
              http://www.egroups.com/group/nooshafarin_folks/

              --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, OldOnliner wrote:

              > Yup... the subject sums it up. After seeing a
              > HUGE and FEATURED founders club going bonkers with not
              > much more than advertisements for other clubs, I
              > (reluctantly) decided to create this club.<br><br>Don't post
              > JUST to advertise your clubs. Listing your club in
              > your signature or comment space is perfectly
              > acceptable just make sure there's content in your post (NO
              > "hi club...signature" ad/posts). <br><br>Post
              > something about being a Yahoo Club founder or member. What
              > suggestions do you have for improving Yahoo Clubs? What works
              > for growing your club? When is it a good idea to
              > create an unlisted club? How do you manage the role of
              > founder on multiple clubs? How do you manage playing
              > founder on one club and member on others? How do you
              > promote chat events? There is power in
              > numbers.<br><br>Ask "How to" questions: "How do you do...[function
              of
              > your choice]?" We all have to learn
              > somewhere.<br><br>Through the contributions of its members this
              club can
              > become a powerful voice for education, quality, change
              > and improvement in Yahoo Clubs -- provided we work
              > and focus on that as our collective goal.<br><br>Good
              > day.<br><br>Mark

            • Al
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 20, 2006
                There are good and there are cynical reasons and there are historical reasons why folk would choose a free site rather than create a group.
                1. Managing a site is only a fraction of the effort that managing a group is.
                2. A site does not require constant attention like a group does.
                3. A site does not require sharing leadership like a group does. It is a one man show. A group can't be by definition.

                Cynical:
                Most folk aren't as able to think out side the box as you are!

                Historical:
                Originally sites were simple and couldn't do much. Originally groups were simple and couldn't do much. You did one or the other or even both. In Web 2.0 the various simple things of the past have merged together. So you can do so much more than any one category did originally.

                Regards,
                Al

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 20, 2006
                  > I guess what i want to know is, is there anyone else like me, who
                  > thinks of their Y!Group as more of a "web-site" w/ messege-board,
                  > rather than just simply a "mailing-list" w/ messege-baord?
                  >
                  > I feel like i'm the only one who sees Y!Groups that way.

                  I believe there are many Group managers who see their Group as much
                  more than mailing lists.

                  For us, I guess we try to integrate the messages component into the
                  website component. We hilite old discussions by building links
                  to them, then once a month we provide (when Yahoo cooperates and
                  actually sends out our periodic file) members with links to the most
                  popular discussions of the previous month. We have links on our home
                  page that point to previous discussion and to Group Files and Polls.

                  I certainly share your feeling that messages are timeless. I like to
                  see old threads revived when they are pertinent. History always adds
                  depth to discussions IMO.

                  ---
                  Cheers,
                  oth, who does not read email - please reply to Group
                • Barbara Kryvko
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 20, 2006
                    For me, it just depends on the members and how they interact.

                    I have groups that fully utilize the web features, and love them.

                    I have at least one group full of people who are very close (and have even met in person), but they can't figure out the web features to save their lives. Many can't (and some won't) even set up a Yahoo ID.

                    I have some groups that use the web features, but only participate on a "high level" - they aren't friends, they're just there to share information.

                    All groups work well, in their own ways.

                    Barbara

                    ---- ottawahitech <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    > > I guess what i want to know is, is there anyone else like me, who
                    > > thinks of their Y!Group as more of a "web-site" w/ messege-board,
                    > > rather than just simply a "mailing-list" w/ messege-baord?
                    > >
                    > > I feel like i'm the only one who sees Y!Groups that way.
                    >
                    > I believe there are many Group managers who see their Group as much
                    > more than mailing lists.
                    >
                    > For us, I guess we try to integrate the messages component into the
                    > website component. We hilite old discussions by building links
                    > to them, then once a month we provide (when Yahoo cooperates and
                    > actually sends out our periodic file) members with links to the most
                    > popular discussions of the previous month. We have links on our home
                    > page that point to previous discussion and to Group Files and Polls.
                    >
                    > I certainly share your feeling that messages are timeless. I like to
                    > see old threads revived when they are pertinent. History always adds
                    > depth to discussions IMO.

                  • Charlie Thorpe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 20, 2006
                      ottawahitech wrote:

                      > ....We have links on our home page that point to previous
                      > discussion and to Group Files and Polls.

                      Nice idea - how would the links be set up?

                      - Charlie

                    • ottawahitech
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                        In my opinion the best and most effective way to promote your Group to
                        the right audience is to use your Yahoo profile. See more at: