A Mea Culpa from the Yahoo! Groups Team

  • Gordon Strause
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2006
      [Note: This email isn't my personal two cents, as usual, but a
      collective email from the entire Groups team... and the Answers folks
      too.
      - YahooGordon]

      Many of you have expressed frustration with us over our recent attempt
      to integrate Yahoo! Answers into your group. We apologize because we
      really goofed on this one.

      While we think that there's a lot of potential in a Groups-Answers
      integration, we obviously need to take more time to get it right. The
      integrations didn't work the way we wanted them to work, and it wasn't a
      very good experience.

      Until we get it right, we've hidden the Answers module by default. That
      means that your users will not see the Answers module, unless you had
      already turned it on or made changes to it. As a moderator, however, you
      will continue to see an Answers "link", so that you still have an
      opportunity to turn on the module if it is something you do want for
      your group.

      Meanwhile, if you've already made changes to the Answers module (like
      selecting a category), those changes will stick. Also, if you removed
      the module from your group, it will continue to remain hidden.

      We hope these changes help. Thanks for calling us on our mistake. We
      plan to work with the Answers team to get it right. Stay tuned.

      The Yahoo! Groups Team
    • oldonliner
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2006
        --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Strause" wrote:

        > [Note: This email isn't my personal two cents, as usual, but a
        > collective email from the entire Groups team... and the Answers folks
        > too.
        >

        > While we think that there's a lot of potential in a Groups-Answers
        > integration, we obviously need to take more time to get it right.

        Thank your teams for posting this in broad circulation to Yahoo
        Groups owners and managers.

        My comments on the Answers integration were made in a reply to Mr E's
        blog entry about it. See the thread -

        http://blog.360.yahoo.com/mister_eeeeeeeee?l==6&u=&mx=38&lmt==5&p=b43#comments

        >> I don't think much of Yahoo Answers. It remains too open to abuse
        >> and almost all measures dealing with that abuse are after the fact.
        >> Sorry, Carol, it doesn't scale. A similar strategy has only worked in
        >> Message Boards Beta IF the board is niche and off the marching
        >> abuse morons radar... once the traffic starts, the abuse starts and
        >> it all goes to hell. That's the reality of it and I don't see a solution
        >> under the Web 2.0 "social networking" metaphor. Gotta stop that
        >> crap before the abuse horse leaves the barn.

        You need to make the "report abuse" option in such social construct
        content areas as easy as Flickr's "May Offend" link. And you need
        some simple way to remove the abusive cotent from public view.
        (Note: "remove from view' NOT delete!) Why should I have to report my
        email address, category of abuse issue, and description for each case
        of abuse I wish to report? In the first place, your servers already
        know who I am (I am logged in!) and know what/who is being reported.
        If ### people hit "may offend" in ### minutes, you remove the content
        from public display - automatically - no human review is needed. To
        prevent abuse of this simple abuse reporting, limit a single IP to no
        more than 1 report per data entry (question/answer topic) in # hours.
        Simple.

        Variations of this appear to work very well for Flickr while the
        YAHOO MESSAGE BOARD BETA attempt to implement a rating system is so
        far an abject failure.

        As you mention, this appears to have potential... and it most
        assuredly does have great prospects, but your teams must find a way
        to stop the abuse BEFORE it gets widespread public exposure.

        Good luck at making this work.

        Mark
        --
        http://blog.360.yahoo.com/oldonliner
      • ottawahitech
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2006
          > Why should I have to report my
          > email address, category of abuse
          > issue, and description for each case
          > of abuse I wish to report? In the
          > first place, your servers already
          > know who I am (I am logged in!)
          > and know what/who is being reported.

          It appears that different individuals get a different view of
          Answers. The Report Abuse form I got already had my identity, what
          and who I reported already filled in. All I needed to add was an
          Abuse Category which I could choose from a multiple choice pull-down
          menu(see list below) and if I really wanted to, a text box to
          explain.
          ---
          Abuse Category
          - Please Choose -
          Adult Content
          Chatting or Private Correspondence
          Gaming for Points
          Impersonation
          Incites Violence or Hatred
          Insulting Other Participants
          Invasion of Privacy
          Minors or Exploitation of Minors
          Miscategorized
          Not a Question or Answer
          Not in English/Not Comprehensible
          Obscene or Profane Content
          Solicitation or Personal Ads
          Spam, Phishing, or Fraud
          Threat of Harm or Harassment
          Other Reason
        • ottawahitech
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2006
            <gordonst@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for calling us on our mistake.

            Thank you for communicating this information to GMF.

            > We plan to work with the Answers team to get it right. Stay tuned.

            Do you mean:
            - stay tuned in GMF?
            - yg-alerts?
            - the Answers team who utilize Yahoo 360 for communication?

            I chose to keep the Answers module in our Ottawa Group, but I don't
            know where to go for help. Is there a Yahoo Group for Yahoo Answers? -
            many Group members who are not 360 members are exluded from the
            Answers discussion
          • y_answrs_yumio
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2006
              This is Yumio, the product manager for Yahoo! Answers. I'd like to
              reiterate Gordon's apology to the Groups moderator community, and
              also thank you for all the feedback. For those that are interested
              in letting us know your thoughts, comments, and advice on improving
              Answers, please use the following message board.

              http://messages.next.yahoo.com/next/forumview?bn=SEA-YahooAnswers

              We do have a lot of features queued up to combat the
              abuse/miscategorization that you noticed, and hopefully we'll
              improve enough for you to consider displaying Answers content on
              your Group Home Pages in the future.

              Yumio

              --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, ottawahitech
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Strause"
              > <gordonst@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for calling us on our mistake.
              >
              > Thank you for communicating this information to GMF.
              >
              > > We plan to work with the Answers team to get it right. Stay
              tuned.

              > Do you mean:
              > - stay tuned in GMF?
              > - yg-alerts?
              > - the Answers team who utilize Yahoo 360 for communication?
              >
              > I chose to keep the Answers module in our Ottawa Group, but I
              don't
              > know where to go for help. Is there a Yahoo Group for Yahoo
              Answers? -
              > many Group members who are not 360 members are exluded from the
              > Answers discussion

            • ottawahitech
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2006
                I know most Group owners removed the Answers link at the bottom of
                their Group's page when Yahoo prematurely added this link to all
                Groups. I decided to keep ours there and I keep checking up on
                progress every once in a while.

                It appears to me that the category
                Home > Yahoo! Products > Yahoo! Groups
                in
                http://answers.yahoo.com/
                is starting to have half decent questions and answers in it. Some
                other categories have also settled down and are becoming worthwhile.

                Check it out - you may want to put the link back in your Group.