Re: [GMF] A way to archive group chat sessions?

  • MzAtticusFinch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
      Thank you, Sheri -- this is extremely helpful as I have many members who have
      great difficulty participating in our weekly chat sessions.
    • Rollerjim
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21 8:11 PM
        --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, OldOnliner <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        .

        > There are no restrictions on Group Chat rooms. No moderator tools,
        no
        > member restrictions. Anyone who knows the group's name can join the
        > group's chat.

        I've never used a Yahoo group chatroom before much less moderated
        one, but the subject of my group wants to do a chat very soon, so I'm
        going to need some advice here.

        Question #1 If there are no moderator tools, how do I kick out the
        jerks, drunks, or especially nutcases who would intentionally try to
        ruin the chat with no "kick" tool?

        Question #2 Her main criteria for a chatroom is that the chatscript
        CAN'T be saved or copied. What gets said in the chatroom has to stay
        in the chatroom. I've been looking for a free chatroom to install on
        her website, but every one I've seen, the chatscript can be copied
        except Yahoo's. Anybody know of one with that criteria other than
        Yahoo if I have to go that route?

        Question #3 Unless I do it by special invitation only, the
        attendence will be HUGE. Is there a limit to the number of chatters
        in a Yahoo chat?

        Jim
      • MichChick98
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 22 12:53 AM
          --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, "Rollerjim"
          <rollerjim1@y...> wrote:
          > Question #1 If there are no moderator tools, how do I kick
          > out the jerks, drunks, or especially nutcases who would
          > intentionally try to ruin the chat with no "kick" tool?

          Good question. I don't think even the non-groups chat rooms
          have a kick feature. Although if I remember from my chat
          days, the ignore feature works very well and it used to be
          if the whole room ignored a person, that person would be
          booted from the room.

          However, ignore works just fine for blocking out the idle
          banter of the idiots that run rampant in chat, if you get
          one of them, just recommend to your members to utilize the
          ignore feature. That's one of the things in chat that has
          ALWAYS worked flawlessly.

          > Question #2 Her main criteria for a chatroom is that the
          > chatscript CAN'T be saved or copied. What gets said in the
          > chatroom has to stay in the chatroom. I've been looking for
          > a free chatroom to install on her website, but every one
          > I've seen, the chatscript can be copied except Yahoo's.
          > Anybody know of one with that criteria other than Yahoo if
          > I have to go that route?

          Have you tried Bravenet? (http://www.bravenet.com) You have
          to sign up to register for a free chat room, but it's a good
          alternative to those who cannot access Yahoo! chat or for a
          'members only' type thing.

          There's no fancy bells or whistles, everyone has the same
          color and fonts in chat, but there is an ignore feature. I
          don't know if there is a 'kick' feature, but the ignore does
          work the same way Yahoo's does.

          I looked into seeing if you could log the chats on bravenet
          and I didn't see anything, but I may have overlooked it.

          If you want to test out a bravenet chat room, you can use the
          one I have set up for LadyFounders. It can be accessed through
          our website at http://www.geocities.com/lady_founders (click on
          the Alternate Chat Room link on the homepage)

          We've had that room for awhile, but rarely use it. I just keep
          it around for just in case type stuff. Anyway, feel free to
          use it at any time.

          > Question #3 Unless I do it by special invitation only, the
          > attendence will be HUGE. Is there a limit to the number of
          > chatters in a Yahoo chat?

          I've seen conflicting reports. Some say 100 people is the limit,
          some say it's much less, like 35-40. Usually when I access chat
          rooms via Yahoo! Messenger, if a room has 35-40 people it says
          the room is full and I have to try a different room.

          Hope this helps.

          Sheri

          [Moderator's Note: Posted at 3:53am, approved at 3:55am]