Re: [GMF] A way to archive group chat sessions?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2004
      Thanks-but no luck. Tried every combination I could think of.
    • OldOnliner
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2004
        --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <drl711@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks-but no luck. Tried every combination I could think of.

        Just use: /join g.groupname forget the :number part. That's added by
        server if a 'room' or 'channel' exists with that name and is full.

        There are no restrictions on Group Chat rooms. No moderator tools, no
        member restrictions. Anyone who knows the group's name can join the
        group's chat.

        Oh... yeah... let us know if Cheeta still bundles spyware/adware and
        what flavors it foists on you. Last time I tried it was years ago...
        before YahooGroups merger mania. It gave me my first experience with
        that pest, Gator. I haven't recommended or tried it since.

        (Those were the days BEFORE Ad-Aware and Spybot. When you had to get
        rid of that crap the old fashioned way - by hacking the registry and
        manually cleaning up files and folders.)

        Mark
        --
        http://www.geocities.com/mark_e_p/windows_tips.html#SPYWARE
      • amy9545
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2004
          I havent used Cheeta in a very long time...so not even sure if its
          even still there. But back when we were all still yahoo clubs, you
          could access there chat room through Cheeta's menus. It was under
          your favorite rooms...or somewhere near that menu.

          That might have changed since then. I'm sure Cheeta has went
          through many different releases. And they might not have kept that
          feature when Yahoo turned their Clubs into Grubs.

          But its just a thought!
          Amy
        • MichChick98
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
            --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, OldOnliner <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > Just use: /join g.groupname forget the :number part. That's
            > added by server if a 'room' or 'channel' exists with that name
            > and is full.

            Actually, if someone wants to use the /join command to join a
            group's chat room, they need to add an asterisk (*) before the
            name of the room. Example: /join *g.GroupManagersForum would
            be how to access the chat room of this group without going to
            the group and clicking on the chat link.

            Of course, another way would simply be to type the address of
            the group and add /chat to the end of it, but if someone wants
            to log the chat, using the regular java version of chat does
            not allow this. Yahoo! Messenger's chat client does, however
            and the /join command works, I just tested it on a couple of
            different groups where I am either a moderator or just a member.

            Incidentally, the ID I used to access the chat rooms on groups
            was not a member in any of the groups I tested.

            Sheri
          • MzAtticusFinch@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
              Thank you, Sheri -- this is extremely helpful as I have many members who have
              great difficulty participating in our weekly chat sessions.
            • Rollerjim
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 21 8:11 PM
                wrote:
                .

                > There are no restrictions on Group Chat rooms. No moderator tools,
                no
                > member restrictions. Anyone who knows the group's name can join the
                > group's chat.

                I've never used a Yahoo group chatroom before much less moderated
                one, but the subject of my group wants to do a chat very soon, so I'm
                going to need some advice here.

                Question #1 If there are no moderator tools, how do I kick out the
                jerks, drunks, or especially nutcases who would intentionally try to
                ruin the chat with no "kick" tool?

                Question #2 Her main criteria for a chatroom is that the chatscript
                CAN'T be saved or copied. What gets said in the chatroom has to stay
                in the chatroom. I've been looking for a free chatroom to install on
                her website, but every one I've seen, the chatscript can be copied
                except Yahoo's. Anybody know of one with that criteria other than
                Yahoo if I have to go that route?

                Question #3 Unless I do it by special invitation only, the
                attendence will be HUGE. Is there a limit to the number of chatters
                in a Yahoo chat?

                Jim
              • MichChick98
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22 12:53 AM
                  --- In GroupManagersForum@yahoogroups.com, "Rollerjim"
                  <rollerjim1@y...> wrote:
                  > Question #1 If there are no moderator tools, how do I kick
                  > out the jerks, drunks, or especially nutcases who would
                  > intentionally try to ruin the chat with no "kick" tool?

                  Good question. I don't think even the non-groups chat rooms
                  have a kick feature. Although if I remember from my chat
                  days, the ignore feature works very well and it used to be
                  if the whole room ignored a person, that person would be
                  booted from the room.

                  However, ignore works just fine for blocking out the idle
                  banter of the idiots that run rampant in chat, if you get
                  one of them, just recommend to your members to utilize the
                  ignore feature. That's one of the things in chat that has
                  ALWAYS worked flawlessly.

                  > Question #2 Her main criteria for a chatroom is that the
                  > chatscript CAN'T be saved or copied. What gets said in the
                  > chatroom has to stay in the chatroom. I've been looking for
                  > a free chatroom to install on her website, but every one
                  > I've seen, the chatscript can be copied except Yahoo's.
                  > Anybody know of one with that criteria other than Yahoo if
                  > I have to go that route?

                  Have you tried Bravenet? (http://www.bravenet.com) You have
                  to sign up to register for a free chat room, but it's a good
                  alternative to those who cannot access Yahoo! chat or for a
                  'members only' type thing.

                  There's no fancy bells or whistles, everyone has the same
                  color and fonts in chat, but there is an ignore feature. I
                  don't know if there is a 'kick' feature, but the ignore does
                  work the same way Yahoo's does.

                  I looked into seeing if you could log the chats on bravenet
                  and I didn't see anything, but I may have overlooked it.

                  If you want to test out a bravenet chat room, you can use the
                  one I have set up for LadyFounders. It can be accessed through
                  our website at http://www.geocities.com/lady_founders (click on
                  the Alternate Chat Room link on the homepage)

                  We've had that room for awhile, but rarely use it. I just keep
                  it around for just in case type stuff. Anyway, feel free to
                  use it at any time.

                  > Question #3 Unless I do it by special invitation only, the
                  > attendence will be HUGE. Is there a limit to the number of
                  > chatters in a Yahoo chat?

                  I've seen conflicting reports. Some say 100 people is the limit,
                  some say it's much less, like 35-40. Usually when I access chat
                  rooms via Yahoo! Messenger, if a room has 35-40 people it says
                  the room is full and I have to try a different room.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Sheri

                  [Moderator's Note: Posted at 3:53am, approved at 3:55am]