Re: REX Minimill

  • wmiller45@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 28, 2001
      I might be able to make room, but one of my requirements is that I be
      able to move the machine myself, which limits me to ~200 lbs. I'm
      getting old, and can't lift much more than that by myself onto a
      bench. I also don't have 3-phase, but I do understand that you can
      run a phase converter. I'd have to have an electrician run 220 to the
      garage, but that isn't that big a deal unto itself.

      Lastly, I don't like the fact that you lose registration every time
      you move the head vertically. I like the idea of a square vertical
      column to maintain registration. Size wise, I don't need that big of
      a machine, as pistols generally use small(er) parts. The REX is over
      twice the weight of the Sherline, and iron. The fact that REX trues
      the machines to tenths makes this machine more of a known accuracy
      wise, that another import. Does the RF have class 7 spindle bearings?

      I have variable speed on the REX, and if the motor becomes a problem,
      I'll find another. Once I can afford to get my next lathe (Grizz
      11x26 light duty) and a rotary table, I'll make some metal gears if
      the white nylon ones in the REX break, or convert to a belt. Rick
      says none of his customers have broken a gear yet. They're quieter
      too! ;)

      I'm not picking on the RF. I've heard great things about it. It's
      just a tad on the big side for me is all. It's going to cost me a
      little more to get what I want given my overall size/accuracy
      desires, but I think it will be worth it. To me anyway. ;)

      Thanks for the suggestion,
      Bill