Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Mini-Mill (HF 44991) Just Stopped

  • Alan DuBoff
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2007
      On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, nc2ln wrote:

      > Thanks to every one for the suggestions. I have looked at all the
      > electronics and nothing is loose or burned or otherwise suspect so I
      > guess it is time to yank the controller board and send it off.
      >
      > One last thought . . . I have to admit either I never paid
      > attention or my memory has failed, but the yellow light bulb above the
      > big red "stop/power" switch does not now light up. If it did or is
      > suppposed to light up, is there, perhaps, a symptom that might help
      > point to the problem before taking it all apart to yank out the board?

      Have you checked your fuse?

      --

      Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
    • nc2ln
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Alan DuBoff <aland@...> wrote:

        > Have you checked your fuse?
        >
        > --
        >
        > Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration

        Yes. Fuse and fuese holder are good. The yellow light above the
        on/off/emergency button, whatever it is for, does not light up.
      • Ray Livingston
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
          The fact that the light is not on could indicate any of a number
          of failures:
          1) the light itself has simply burned out
          2) the switch on the speed control has failed
          3) a failure in the electronics in the speed controller
          If you turn the speed control fully CCW, until it clicks, then
          back clockwise, does the light come on at all, even briefly?
          There are instructions at littlemachineshop.com for debugging the
          controller, to determine what has failed. But, odds are really good
          it's an electronic failure, and your best bet is still to send it off
          to Uncle Rabid to be repaired. That is a very dangerous piece to
          work on, as it operates on line voltage, with no transformer
          isolation, so if you're not very electronically inclined, don't mess
          with it when it's plugged in. I've been an electronics engineer for
          30+ years, and I absolutely hated repairing mine.

          Regards,
          Ray L.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "nc2ln" <nc2ln@...> wrote:

          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Alan DuBoff <aland@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Have you checked your fuse?
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > > Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
          > >
          > Yes. Fuse and fuese holder are good. The yellow light above the
          > on/off/emergency button, whatever it is for, does not light up.

        • Chris Bailey
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
            The Yellow light is an "error" condition. It's not supposed to be on
            when everything is working.

            You might look at the troubleshooting guide at this link:

            <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Reference/DriveTroubleshooting.pdf*>*

            You'll need a meter to do this but one of the cheap digital ones will
            work just fine.

            If you get stumped, I'd politely ask for help from Jim RabidWolf. He's
            the world renowned expert at troubleshooting and upgrading these
            controllers.

            Chris