Belt-drive conversion question.

  • teleview102
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      I've decided to make the conversion to belt drive, following Ken
      Coburn's article in Machinest's Workshop. I started with the pulley
      for the motor, which I finished earlier today. I haven't checked out
      the Gates website yet for info on the belts specified in the article,
      but I just looked at the bill of materials and feel somewhat nervous.
      The belts are shown as 5M's,which I assume is a metric designation,
      and if so, is that 5mm in width? In the article, the v-grove width
      specified for the pulley is 0.187" wide, and 5mm is 0.197"...

      Now that I'm through with the pulley, please tell me the 0.187"
      specified isn't a typo!

      Thanks,
      Rod B.
    • nplaks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
        The designation of the Gates 5M belt does not imply that it is
        metric. In fact the actual width is 3/16 inch (0.1875 inch).

        I tried to find, without success, my old Gates catalog. I did,
        however, find the 5M belt specs in a Berg catalog.

        The Gates 3M, 5M, and 7M belts are marketed for high performance and
        long operating life. They are also claimed to have ability to dampen
        shock, as we would experience with interrupted cuts.

        The smaller in the series, Gates 3M belt, which has a width of 1/8
        inch is the standard belt for the Taig lathe, where they are rated
        for 5,000 hour life.

        Norman Plaks
        Raleigh, NC

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "teleview102" <blueshift@w...> wrote:
        > I've decided to make the conversion to belt drive, following Ken
        > Coburn's article in Machinest's Workshop. I started with the pulley
        > for the motor, which I finished earlier today. I haven't checked
        out
        > the Gates website yet for info on the belts specified in the
        article,
        > but I just looked at the bill of materials and feel somewhat
        nervous.
        > The belts are shown as 5M's,which I assume is a metric designation,
        > and if so, is that 5mm in width? In the article, the v-grove width
        > specified for the pulley is 0.187" wide, and 5mm is 0.197"...
        >
        > Now that I'm through with the pulley, please tell me the 0.187"
        > specified isn't a typo!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rod B.
      • teleview102
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
          Thanks for the reply Norman. Last night, I ran across this site,

          http://www.zulau.com/gates_transmission/kileremme/polyflex.htm

          which has a discussion of the Polyflex belts, and now I,m puzzled,
          especially since you say the 5M is 3/16". This is a Danish website; I
          wonder, does Gates market the 5M as metric in Europe, and fractional
          here in the states?

          Rod B.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "nplaks" <nplaks@n...> wrote:
          > The designation of the Gates 5M belt does not imply that it is
          > metric. In fact the actual width is 3/16 inch (0.1875 inch).
          >
          > I tried to find, without success, my old Gates catalog. I did,
          > however, find the 5M belt specs in a Berg catalog.
          >
          > The Gates 3M, 5M, and 7M belts are marketed for high performance
          and
          > long operating life. They are also claimed to have ability to
          dampen
          > shock, as we would experience with interrupted cuts.
          >
          > The smaller in the series, Gates 3M belt, which has a width of 1/8
          > inch is the standard belt for the Taig lathe, where they are rated
          > for 5,000 hour life.
          >
          > Norman Plaks
          > Raleigh, NC
          >
          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "teleview102" <blueshift@w...> wrote:
          > > I've decided to make the conversion to belt drive, following Ken
          > > Coburn's article in Machinest's Workshop. I started with the
          pulley
          > > for the motor, which I finished earlier today. I haven't checked
          > out
          > > the Gates website yet for info on the belts specified in the
          > article,
          > > but I just looked at the bill of materials and feel somewhat
          > nervous.
          > > The belts are shown as 5M's,which I assume is a metric
          designation,
          > > and if so, is that 5mm in width? In the article, the v-grove
          width
          > > specified for the pulley is 0.187" wide, and 5mm is 0.197"...
          > >
          > > Now that I'm through with the pulley, please tell me the 0.187"
          > > specified isn't a typo!
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Rod B.
        • nplaks
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
            Rod,

            Gates markets their products internationally. Therefore, their
            products would use the appropriate size disignation for the country
            in which it is being marketed. In this country the Berg catalog
            showed the width dimension to be 3/16 inch.

            Probably the best thing to do is to complete making the modification
            parts. Order the belts. When the belts arrive, lay one in the
            pulley groove. If it fits in without riding over the edge of the
            groove, the fit is good. If the belt rides on the edge of the
            groove, return the pulley to the lathe and cut the groove deeper.

            Good luck,