Accident Report

  • jaguar3145
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2007
      Hi Group. Thought this was worth sharing. I almost lost my nose and it
      is still painful. I was set for an accident; late in the day, tired
      and rushing to finish. I was rounding the corners on a 6X6"X.090 thick
      plate on my 6" disc sander. The 4X6" table is .125 away from the disc,
      can't be set closer but I think that is acceptable. The plate lifted
      and wedged between the table and disc and having no place else to go,
      flew out like a frizby until it hit my nose and almost knocked me out.
      Blood all over me. Saftey glasses unharmed. Thanks for reading this
      post. Thomas
    • moparado
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2007
        "jaguar3145" <jaguar3145@...> wrote:
        Sorry to hear about your mishap. If misery loves company, I've got a
        few scars also!

        I've got one of those disc/belt sanders which is what i think your
        talking about.
        If thats the case, i personally never subject the work piece to the
        upward spin of the sanding disc..only the downward side. If the
        workpiece is longer than the radius of the disc, i'll figure out
        another way of working the piece. And i keep the table to disc
        clearance as close as possible. I just checked mine and its a little
        under a 1/16".
        Some other safety things i live by. I always wear eye protection even
        when using a conventional grinder. Also i try not to wear long sleeved
        shirts and never use gloves when using any kind of machinery.
        For removing or inserting end mills to/from the collet, i use a
        4"X4"X1/8" piece of rawhide.
        And if i leave an end mill in the collet, i slip a piece of water pipe
        foam insulation over the spindle and end mill. After a few finger
        slices and spilled blood, I've really come to respect those end mills.

        Ken
      • Charles Owen
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2007
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "moparado" <kenwm2@...> wrote:

          > "jaguar3145" <jaguar3145@> wrote:
          > Some other safety things i live by. I always wear eye protection even
          > when using a conventional grinder.

          Why not just say "I always wear eye protection"? Not sure why the
          conventional grinder qualification...

          I've become very fond of face visors in addition to safety glasses. I
          recently had my lathe pick up a ball of swarf that had accumulated
          under it and toss it at full speed at my face. Scared me a bit, but
          the visor just bounced it right off. It took a while, but I finally
          found a source for one mounted on a hard hat and I intend to use that
          when using machine tools. I've gotten tired of picking swarf out of my
          hair.
        • Gary Harper
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2007
            Good idea. If you care for them and keep them clean they stay nice and clear but they do get scratched up and hard to see through if you abuse them.

            Safety goggles and shields seem cumbersome at first but they are like seat belts...  Until the 80's no one wore seat belts.  Now, most people feel naked driving without them.  So go ahead and get used to wearing safety goggles if you don't already.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2007
              Simple, my bench grinders have those small plexiglass safety shields
              installed. I don't trust those grinder shields. Nor do i trust that
              cheesy safety shield that comes with the mini-mill. I probably should
              of qualified my statement.
              Ken

              ---------------------------------
              "moparado" <kenwm2@> wrote:
              Some other safety things i live by. I always wear eye protection even
              when using a conventional grinder.
            • Druid Noibn
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
                Hi thomas,

                Thank you for letting us know - it is a good reminder to be careful at all times.

                Take care,
                DBN

                jaguar3145 <jaguar3145@...> wrote:
                Hi Group. Thought this was worth sharing. I almost lost my nose and it
                is still painful. I was set for an accident; late in the day, tired
                and rushing to finish. I was rounding the corners on a 6X6"X.090 thick
                plate on my 6" disc sander. The 4X6" table is .125 away from the disc,
                can't be set closer but I think that is acceptable. The plate lifted
                and wedged between the table and disc and having no place else to go,
                flew out like a frizby until it hit my nose and almost knocked me out.
                Blood all over me. Saftey glasses unharmed. Thanks for reading this
                post. Thomas

                It's here! Your new message!