Control of X2 mill axis electroniclly

  • actionhac
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26 10:18 AM
      Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors (just like CNC) and
      control the motors without any CNC type software, still using a
      computer, like a manual mode? using the key board? mouse? joystick?
      control panel?
      Like a radio control model airplane.
      If you positioned the cutter with the handwheels and then started
      computer control for manual XYZ movements.
      Could this also be done without the need for adding DRO scales to the
      axis? and still be able to control feed rate, depth of cut in
      thousandth's?
      Push a key on the key board for one or two steps or more.

      Robert
    • Brian Pitt
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 26 10:57 AM
        On Thursday 26 April 2007 10:18, actionhac wrote:
        > Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors (just like CNC) and
        > control the motors without any CNC type software, still using a
        > computer, like a manual mode? using the key board? mouse? joystick?
        > control panel?

        you could but thats just the same as using CNC software in Jog mode
        you'd still need some kind of software and you'd have to hook everything up
        the same way and before long you'd get tired of holding the button down and
        end up typing in MDI commands then writing programs...

        I had some older stepper driver boards that included a 555 timer circuit to generate
        step pulses so you could jog without a computer ,just a direction switch ,speed pot and
        jog button

        Brian
        --
        "Nemo me impune lacesset"
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26 12:19 PM
          Robert:

          You cannot control steppers directly from the
          computer. Stepper motors require a driver.

          Mach3 software is free in the fully functional demo
          version.

          Barry Young
          Young Camera Company

          --- actionhac <actionhac@...> wrote:

          > Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors
          > (just like CNC) and
          > control the motors without any CNC type software,
          > still using a
          > computer, like a manual mode? using the key board?
          > mouse? joystick?
          > control panel?
          > Like a radio control model airplane.
          > If you positioned the cutter with the handwheels and
          > then started
          > computer control for manual XYZ movements.
          > Could this also be done without the need for adding
          > DRO scales to the
          > axis? and still be able to control feed rate, depth
          > of cut in
          > thousandth's?
          > Push a key on the key board for one or two steps or
          > more.
          >
          > Robert
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Leandro
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26 12:52 PM
            considering my young years as a computer programmer (c and assembly
            codes... good times) I say that logically yes, is possible to generate
            the adequate 01011100like output to control a stepper motor BUT the
            big problem is the vey limited current draw avaiable on the computer
            parallel port. As far I remember it is 5V but can deliver just a bunch
            of miliamps... not the 2A or more commonly used on big CNC steppers.

            my 2cents ;-)

            Regards
            Leandro

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "actionhac" <actionhac@...> wrote:

            > Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors (just like CNC) and
            > control the motors without any CNC type software, still using a
            > computer, like a manual mode? using the key board? mouse? joystick?
            > control panel?
            > Like a radio control model airplane.
            > If you positioned the cutter with the handwheels and then started
            > computer control for manual XYZ movements.
            > Could this also be done without the need for adding DRO scales to the
            > axis? and still be able to control feed rate, depth of cut in
            > thousandth's?
            > Push a key on the key board for one or two steps or more.
            >
            > Robert

          • Harvey White
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26 1:32 PM
              On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:52:30 -0000, you wrote:

              >considering my young years as a computer programmer (c and assembly
              >codes... good times) I say that logically yes, is possible to generate
              >the adequate 01011100like output to control a stepper motor BUT the
              >big problem is the vey limited current draw avaiable on the computer
              >parallel port. As far I remember it is 5V but can deliver just a bunch
              >of miliamps... not the 2A or more commonly used on big CNC steppers.

              The normal sink current for a parallel port is probably in the
              neighborhood of 0.015 amps or less, depending.

              Damaging that parallel port can result in having to replace the
              motherboard.

              Further, Windows XP does not allow direct writes to the hardware, so
              you cannot get any sort of real time control. Whatever the operating
              system is doing is *far* more important than what you wanted done.....

              DOS and perhaps windows 9X would be required.

              You can control a stepper with a computer, and an appropriate program,
              but you will need drivers.

              TurboCNC will support either step/direction control of a stepper
              (requires a relatively sophisticated drive electronics system), or
              "wave" drive, where a pin controls each coil in a stepper through a
              much simpler drive system.

              Harvey

              >my 2cents ;-)
              >
              >Regards
              >Leandro
              >

              >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "actionhac" <actionhac@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors (just like CNC) and
              >> control the motors without any CNC type software, still using a
              >> computer, like a manual mode? using the key board? mouse? joystick?
              >> control panel?
              >> Like a radio control model airplane.
              >> If you positioned the cutter with the handwheels and then started
              >> computer control for manual XYZ movements.
              >> Could this also be done without the need for adding DRO scales to the
              >> axis? and still be able to control feed rate, depth of cut in
              >> thousandth's?
              >> Push a key on the key board for one or two steps or more.
              >>
              >> Robert
              >>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Gary Harper
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 26 1:40 PM
                Just chiming in...

                I write to the parallel port in WinXP for my laser scanner.   You are right that it is not direct like in the old days but I am controling a laser scanner at up to 30,000 pts per second which is a lot more than I think a  CNC controller would need.  Use opto isolators if you are worried about damaging your parallel port.

                On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:52:30 -0000, you wrote:

                >considering my young years as a computer programmer (c and assembly
                >codes... good times) I say that logically yes, is possible to generate
                >the adequate 01011100like output to control a stepper motor BUT the
                >big problem is the vey limited current draw avaiable on the computer
                >parallel port. As far I remember it is 5V but can deliver just a bunch
                >of miliamps... not the 2A or more commonly used on big CNC steppers.

                The normal sink current for a parallel port is probably in the
                neighborhood of 0.015 amps or less, depending.

                Damaging that parallel port can result in having to replace the
                motherboard.

                Further, Windows XP does not allow direct writes to the hardware, so
                you cannot get any sort of real time control. Whatever the operating
                system is doing is *far* more important than what you wanted done.....

                DOS and perhaps windows 9X would be required.

                You can control a stepper with a computer, and an appropriate program,
                but you will need drivers.

                TurboCNC will support either step/direction control of a stepper
                (requires a relatively sophisticated drive electronics system), or
                "wave" drive, where a pin controls each coil in a stepper through a
                much simpler drive system.

                Harvey

                >my 2cents ;-)
                >
                >Regards
                >Leandro
                >

                >--- In GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com, "actionhac" <actionhac@. ..> wrote:
                >>
                >> Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors (just like CNC) and
                >> control the motors without any CNC type software, still using a
                >> computer, like a manual mode? using the key board? mouse? joystick?
                >> control panel?
                >> Like a radio control model airplane.
                >> If you positioned the cutter with the handwheels and then started
                >> computer control for manual XYZ movements.
                >> Could this also be done without the need for adding DRO scales to the
                >> axis? and still be able to control feed rate, depth of cut in
                >> thousandth's?
                >> Push a key on the key board for one or two steps or more.
                >>
                >> Robert
                >>

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Rexarino
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26 3:45 PM
                  Maybe you asked the wrong question, when you said "still using a computer".  You can control steppers *without* a "computer", by using various schemes.  For one option, join the E-LeadScrew yahoo group.  Your level of control probably involves a microprocessor (arguably still a computer) as a minimal level of sophistication, but as another poster mentioned, you can turn a stepper with a 555 timer or two -which may not give you enough control to know where you have moved to, or how fast you moved, or how to make 2 steppers work simultaneously to achieve a curve.
                  DIY_CNC and CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO yahoo groups have extensive archives for you to read, and the CNC Zone forum has more info than you can digest in... a long time.

                  rexarino

                  On 4/26/07, actionhac <actionhac@...> wrote:
                  Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors (just like CNC) and
                  control the motors without any CNC type software, still using a
                  computer, like a manual mode? using the key board? mouse? joystick?
                  control panel?
                  Like a radio control model airplane.
                  If you positioned the cutter with the handwheels and then started
                  computer control for manual XYZ movements.
                  Could this also be done without the need for adding DRO scales to the
                  axis? and still be able to control feed rate, depth of cut in
                  thousandth's?
                  Push a key on the key board for one or two steps or more.

                  Robert

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto: GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Mike Gehring
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 29 3:52 PM
                    Hi Robert, A little late  since Thursday, but I just ran across some paperwork. Look up www.    picobotics    dot     com   at the    pico ESC . it can use radio control     serial port or infrared to control a 24  VDC motor.   They also have other motor control equip. Good Luck     Mike G.

                    Is it possible to outfit a X2 with stepper motors (just like CNC) and
                    control the motors without any CNC type software, still using a
                    computer, like a manual mode? using the key board? mouse? joystick?
                    control panel?
                    Like a radio control model airplane.
                    If you positioned the cutter with the handwheels and then started
                    computer control for manual XYZ movements.
                    Could this also be done without the need for adding DRO scales to the
                    axis? and still be able to control feed rate, depth of cut in
                    thousandth's?
                    Push a key on the key board for one or two steps or more.

                    Robert

                    Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                  • actionhac
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 29 4:04 PM
                      Thanks Mike. The site is down for restructuring but I am looking
                      forward to viewing it.

                      Robert

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Mike Gehring <hohum112@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Robert, A little late since Thursday, but I just ran across some
                      paperwork. Look up www. picobotics dot com at the pico
                      ESC . it can use radio control serial port or infrared to control
                      a 24 VDC motor. They also have other motor control equip. Good Luck
                      Mike G.

                    • Reza Naima
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 29 4:14 PM
                        try