Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Rough bearings and Belt drive etc

  • Bill Kenny
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi David,

      Did you ever take the top cover off the bearing and clean it out BEFORE you ran the mill for the first time? They drill and tap a hole there after it is assembled and there is a ton of debris left in there to reek havoc!

      Bill

      On 4/2/07, David Howard <sixcyl@...> wrote:

      Hi All,
      A few weeks ago I posted about spindle run-out due to my whacking the drawbar to release a
      boring head from the Morse taper.
      The hammering has done some damage in that I have a vibration at certain speeds.

      I just installed a Steele belt drive conversion I bought from LMS and now that the gear noise
      has gone I can hear that the bearings are rough. I can't feel any roughness turning the
      spindle by hand but it sure makes some funny noises (and no, it's not the motor).

      So, I bought a new spindle with the belt drive kit and when I get around to it I'll buy new
      bearings and put the new spindle and bearings in.

      Oh, BTW, I found that the trick to getting the boring head taper loose is to remove the boring
      tool from the head and use a bar in the horizontal tool hole to twist the head clockwise (to
      avoid unscrewing it). After the spindle is locked and the drawbar is loosened of course :-).

      Cheers,
      Dave.