Re: Dovetail cutters?

  • metalshaver
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2007
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Payson" <mike@...> wrote:

      > For general dovetail cutting, for example creating QCTP holders, do I
      > want 45 or 60 degree cutters? I assume 45, but I wanted to make
      > certain before I place my order.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mike

      Mike if your making a complete unit from scratch you can use whatever
      you like. If your making them to fit a purchased toolpost you should
      measure the dovetail. Anyway mine toolpost is 60º Hope this helps and
      good luck.
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        Mike;
        My QCTP holders are 60 degrees. When I made some holders I use a 1" DIA. dovetail cutter. A 1/2" DIA. cutter would have worked much better.

        Richard T.
        Northern New York USA

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          I made my own QCTP and a number of holders using a 60 degree cutter.
          I used 60 degrees because I saw others used it.

          I used a cutter that was one-half inch diameter, with a height of
          one-quarter inch. This means that the maximum depth of dovetail cut
          is one-quarter inch which was OK for me, but something perhaps for
          you to consider for your application.

          Bob

          >For general dovetail cutting, for example creating QCTP holders, do I
          >want 45 or 60 degree cutters? I assume 45, but I wanted to make
          >certain before I place my order.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Mike

        • Mike Payson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
            Good point. They will be for a Phase II AXA series toolpost. I don't
            have the TP yet, so I can't easily measure it.