Dovetail cutters?

  • Mike Payson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 11:29 PM
      For general dovetail cutting, for example creating QCTP holders, do I
      want 45 or 60 degree cutters? I assume 45, but I wanted to make
      certain before I place my order.

      Thanks,
      Mike
    • metalshaver
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31 11:38 PM
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Payson" <mike@...> wrote:

        > For general dovetail cutting, for example creating QCTP holders, do I
        > want 45 or 60 degree cutters? I assume 45, but I wanted to make
        > certain before I place my order.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike

        Mike if your making a complete unit from scratch you can use whatever
        you like. If your making them to fit a purchased toolpost you should
        measure the dovetail. Anyway mine toolpost is 60º Hope this helps and
        good luck.
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
          Mike;
          My QCTP holders are 60 degrees. When I made some holders I use a 1" DIA. dovetail cutter. A 1/2" DIA. cutter would have worked much better.

          Richard T.
          Northern New York USA

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
            Hi Mike,

            I made my own QCTP and a number of holders using a 60 degree cutter.
            I used 60 degrees because I saw others used it.

            I used a cutter that was one-half inch diameter, with a height of
            one-quarter inch. This means that the maximum depth of dovetail cut
            is one-quarter inch which was OK for me, but something perhaps for
            you to consider for your application.

            Bob

            >For general dovetail cutting, for example creating QCTP holders, do I
            >want 45 or 60 degree cutters? I assume 45, but I wanted to make
            >certain before I place my order.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >Mike

          • Mike Payson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
              Good point. They will be for a Phase II AXA series toolpost. I don't
              have the TP yet, so I can't easily measure it.