RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: 4" rotary table choice - need adviceUS

  • gerry waclawiak
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
      Michael,

      the slots on the mini-mill are 12mm wide with a 10mm stud but are slightly
      too large for the rotary table.
      The table slots measure at 11mm so I think they will be a 10mm nut with 8mm
      studs.

      My 4 jaw chuck came complete with backplate, studs and nuts so I didn't have
      to buy any and I just knocked a few spares up out of ally flat bar I had
      kicking about.

      Gerry
      Leeds UK

      >From: "houe2005" <mboyko2000@...>
      >To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: 4" rotary table choice - need adviceUS
      >Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:18:37 -0000
      >
      >Gerry,
      >
      >What size are the T-slots? Are they the same as the mini mill? I need
      >to pick up some t-slot nuts for the table so I'm ready to go. Thanks.
      >
      >Michael
      >
      >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "gerry waclawiak"
      ><gerrywac@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > No problem. I hope you have as much satisfaction using it as I have
      > >
      > > Gerry
      > > Leeds UK
      > >

      > > >From: "houe2005" <mboyko2000@...>
      > > >To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      > > >Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: 4" rotary table choice - need adviceUS
      > > >Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 03:23:27 -0000
      > > >
      > > >Thanks for the reply. I decided to go ahead and purchase the 4"
      > > >vertex. I'll post my thoughts on it once I get it (probably late next
      > > >week) and have a chance to check it out. I've never had a rotary table
      > > >so I won't really have a point of reference. Anyway thanks.
      > > >
      > > >Michael
      > > >
      > > >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "gerry waclawiak"

      > > >found it to
      >with a
      > > >easy to
      > > >completely
      > > >probably be
      > > >table
      >provided.

      > > >quality

      >adviceUS

      > > >down
      >see the
      >table). The
      >about it.
      >rather
      >would be
      >h5940

      > >http://www.theengineersemporium.co.uk/catalogue-images/jpg%27s/HV4rotarytable.jpg
      > > > > >

      > >http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1927

      > > >may be
      > > >intended
      > > >prohibited.
      > > > sender
      > > >and all

      > > Exclusive Ed Byrne daily comedy clips on MSN Video
      > > http://specials.uk.msn.com/edbyrne/

      Rate your skiving credentials with our Slack-o-meter
      http://www.slack-o-meter.com
    • houe2005
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
        Thanks for taking the time to measure. I appreciate it.

        <gerrywac@...> wrote:

        > Michael,
        >
        > the slots on the mini-mill are 12mm wide with a 10mm stud but are
        slightly
        > too large for the rotary table.
        > The table slots measure at 11mm so I think they will be a 10mm nut
        with 8mm
        > studs.
        >
        > My 4 jaw chuck came complete with backplate, studs and nuts so I
        didn't have
        > to buy any and I just knocked a few spares up out of ally flat bar I
        had
        > kicking about.
        >
        > Gerry
        > Leeds UK
        >

        > >From: "houe2005" <mboyko2000@...>
        > >To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: 4" rotary table choice - need adviceUS
        > >Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:18:37 -0000
        > >
        > >Gerry,
        > >
        > >What size are the T-slots? Are they the same as the mini mill? I need
        > >to pick up some t-slot nuts for the table so I'm ready to go. Thanks.
        > >
        > >Michael
        > >
        > >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "gerry waclawiak"
        > ><gerrywac@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > No problem. I hope you have as much satisfaction using it as I have
        > > >
        > > > Gerry
        > > > Leeds UK

        > >with a
        > >provided.

        > >adviceUS

        >http://www.littlemachineshop.com/instructions/UsingARotaryTable.pdf

        > >see the
        > >table). The
        > >about it.
        > >rather
        > >would be
        > >h5940

        >http://www.theengineersemporium.co.uk/catalogue-images/jpg%27s/HV4rotarytable.jpg
        > > > > > >

        >http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1927

        > > > Exclusive Ed Byrne daily comedy clips on MSN Video
        > > > http://specials.uk.msn.com/edbyrne/

        > Rate your skiving credentials with our Slack-o-meter
        > http://www.slack-o-meter.com

      • Arnie Minear
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
          Both of those look good, I was going to warn you one feature to avoid,
          if the lockdown presses axially against the rotary it can shift the
          center everso slightly a couple of mils. But those you are looking at
          lock down just fine.
        • gerry waclawiak
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
            THe Vertex table has a couple of locking blocks that clamp the turntable
            part down to the base.

            Gerry
            Leeds UK

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2007
              Just thought I'd update my post since I've had this rotary table for
              about a week now. I should mention that I have not seen the other 4"
              rotary tables in this class so my comments need to be read with this
              in mind. Having said that I do like this table and do recommend it.

              First of all this table is 4.33 inches (110mm) in diameter which if
              I'm not mistaken is a little bit more than the other 4" tables out
              there (I think most of them are 100mm). So the added surface area (21%
              more area than 100mm) is a plus.

              On the down side is the 3 T-slots instead of 4. This doesn't help when
              mounting stuff. This is really my only major complaint on the unit but
              I knew this when I ordered it. However, the T-slots are fairly large
              and you can fit 3/8" bolts through the slots. So I made a set of
              custom 3/8" T-nuts one afternoon.

              I clamped a work piece on the table and took some pretty good cuts
              with my roughing end mill and the table was rock solid and worked very
              well. Seems to be a very rigid table. The 3/8" bolts probably help the
              rigidity some.

              The overall quality seems to be quite good. The dials are large and
              smooth with a small exception in one section of the revolution where
              it gets every so slightly tighter. This may not be an issue at all
              since it may be adjustable. I haven't looked into this and may not
              since it really isn't bad at all, but I figured I'd mention it anyway
              for completeness.

              I'm a little surprised this table doesn't get more attention from the
              mini mill community. Maybe its because it doesn't seem to be as
              available as the other tables. I hope that changes because I do like
              this table and if more were available maybe I wouldn't have to make a
              mounting plate (my next project) and could just purchase one.

              Michael

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "houe2005" <mboyko2000@...> wrote:

              > I did a search on this forum but didn't really find much information
              > on the vertex 4" HV4 (hv-4) rotary table. I've basically narrowed down
              > my choices to the HV-4 and the little machine shop 1927 RT. I see the
              > HV-4 is sold by a vendor on ebay (search for HV-4 rotary table). The
              > HV-4 looks like a nice little RT, but two things bother me about it.
              > 1) I have no user experience information on it and 2) I would rather
              > have four t-slots than three. Any information on the vertex would be
              > greatly appreciated. I've already decided against the grizzly h5940
              > since most people recommend the LMS 1927 over it.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Here are the links to pictures.

              http://www.theengineersemporium.co.uk/catalogue-images/jpg%27s/HV4rotarytable.jpg

              http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1927

            • cyberace10242003
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2007
                I have the 6" vertex rotary table and use it with my mini-mill. I also
                got it from an ebay vendor (about 2 years ago) and have been very
                pleased with it. It is a bit too large to use in the vertical
                orientation, but is large enough to mount a small vice and has 4
                mounting slots.

                wrote:

                > Just thought I'd update my post since I've had this rotary table for
                > about a week now. I should mention that I have not seen the other 4"
                > rotary tables in this class so my comments need to be read with this
                <snip>