Minimill table tolerances.

  • teleview102
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2002
      I'm slowly getting my new minimill cleaned up and reassembled in the
      shop. Tonight, I got the base and table assembly mounted to a plywood
      base and put into position in the utility roo...oops, shop. While
      admiring it, I decided to check the table with a dial indicator. In
      the full travel of the x-axis, the average error of the four ground
      top surfaces was .0025", with most of this error occuring on the last
      2 inches of the right-hand side. The back edge of the table, facing
      the column, had about .0005" error over the length of travel. Over
      the full travel of the y-axis, the error was .0015" (for this
      measurement I stood a parallel across the table and took the reading
      off its top edge; is their a better way?)

      If these measurements are too far out, and if so, just how do I
      remedy them? It seems like the cross slide or table would have to be
      machined to fix this.

      Thanks,
      Rod B.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2002
        Hi Rod:

        Those sound like good numbers to me. A mill this
        inexpensive will not be very much closer than that.

        I check my Y axis the same way as you do.

        Barry Young

        --- teleview102 <blueshift@...> wrote:
        > I'm slowly getting my new minimill cleaned up and
        > reassembled in the
        > shop. Tonight, I got the base and table assembly
        > mounted to a plywood
        > base and put into position in the utility
        > roo...oops, shop. While
        > admiring it, I decided to check the table with a
        > dial indicator. In
        > the full travel of the x-axis, the average error of
        > the four ground
        > top surfaces was .0025", with most of this error
        > occuring on the last
        > 2 inches of the right-hand side. The back edge of
        > the table, facing
        > the column, had about .0005" error over the length
        > of travel. Over
        > the full travel of the y-axis, the error was .0015"
        > (for this
        > measurement I stood a parallel across the table and
        > took the reading
        > off its top edge; is their a better way?)
        >
        > If these measurements are too far out, and if so,
        > just how do I
        > remedy them? It seems like the cross slide or table
        > would have to be
        > machined to fix this.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rod B.

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Rick Kruger
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2002
          Not sure I agree that those are good enough error numbers. Haven't
          checked mine that way either.

          However, whether you think they are good or not, you can get the table top
          re-ground pretty cheaply. Chris Difani got his done for something like $20
          and says is dead on. I looked thru recent postings but didn't find his
          message.

          Chris, you out there?

          Rick K.
          Portland, OR

          At 01:33 PM 5/12/02 -0700, you wrote:

          >Hi Rod:
          >
          >Those sound like good numbers to me. A mill this
          >inexpensive will not be very much closer than that.
          >
          >I check my Y axis the same way as you do.
          >
          >Barry Young
          >

          >--- teleview102 <blueshift@...> wrote:
          > > I'm slowly getting my new minimill cleaned up and
          > > reassembled in the
          > > shop. Tonight, I got the base and table assembly
          > > mounted to a plywood
          > > base and put into position in the utility
          > > roo...oops, shop. While
          > > admiring it, I decided to check the table with a
          > > dial indicator. In
          > > the full travel of the x-axis, the average error of
          > > the four ground
          > > top surfaces was .0025", with most of this error
          > > occuring on the last
          > > 2 inches of the right-hand side. The back edge of
          > > the table, facing
          > > the column, had about .0005" error over the length
          > > of travel. Over
          > > the full travel of the y-axis, the error was .0015"
          > > (for this
          > > measurement I stood a parallel across the table and
          > > took the reading
          > > off its top edge; is their a better way?)
          > >
          > > If these measurements are too far out, and if so,
          > > just how do I
          > > remedy them? It seems like the cross slide or table
          > > would have to be
          > > machined to fix this.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Rod B.

        • bill_collins14
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2002
            Hello everyone.What should the tolorences be on these mini-mills?
            I don't have a dial indicator yet.Would help to know this so when I
            can get one I can also check my mill.Thanks and God Bless
            Bill C.
          • teleview102
            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2002
              Rick (and Barry),

              Thanks for the feedback. I rechecked my measurements, and over the x-
              axis travel the worse error is .003", which occurs from end to end.
              Luckly, the error across the center 4" of the table is only .0009".
              It appears that the table is flat across the center, but raised
              slightly at the edges. I would be interested to hear the details of
              Chris' grinding fix.

              On a more accurate note, I purchased a matched pair of 1-2-3 blocks
              that Enco has on sale for $10 and some change. With the dial test
              indicator set up on the surface plate, I ran both blocks under the
              indicator and could see absolutely no needle movement at any point on
              either block, checking all three dimentions; They are also matched
              closer than I can see on the indicator; I was impressed!

              Rod B.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 8 , May 17, 2002
                Hi Bill:

                There are different opinons, but I would be happy with
                .002 overall. That is closer than anything I do except
                boring and turning.

                Barry Young

                Message 7 of 8 , May 17, 2002
                  Isn't it amazing what slave labor can produce for next
                  to nothing? I have the same set and they are dead on
                  measured with a Renishaw probe in a new Brown and
                  Sharp coordinate measuring machine.

                  Barry

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 18, 2002
                    Hello Barry,
                    Finally got a dial indicator.Now I can run the test on my Grizzly
                    Mini.If I gan get it as close as .002 Like you said then I'll be ok
                    with that.Thanks man,appreciate your help.
                    God Bless.
                    Bill