the x2 mini-mill, fenner drive belts, etc..!

  • figNoggle
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      hi all-

      during the past week, we've been toying around with a round column
      mill-drill (rong-fu 31 clone).

      it's been quite nice for hogging away at material (which greatly reduces
      prototyping time with its bulk and .001" dials - no dro yet), but it lacks
      in other areas where the x2 shines (relatively speaking).

      it has this vibration issue that greatly affects surfaces finishes. using
      a fly cutter creates ridges no matter how slow the feed rate. after
      reducing vibration by using the fenner brand powertwist adjust-a-link
      belts instead of the stock v-belts, the surface finish (all other
      variables being equal) greatly improved. unfortunately, it looks like
      there's a bit more work to do. compare this with the mini-mill which
      produces mirror finishes using the same fly cutter..

      the reason for this post is to once again give kudos to the x2 mini-mill.
      even with its limitations discussed on this list, given the price,
      portability, overall "performance" of this machine, it still makes it
      quite the buy.

      you can read up more about the round column mill:
      <http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/round-column-mill-drills/grainger-dayton-round-column-mill-drill-2AC40A.htm>
      or
      <http://tinyurl.com/3y46dl>

      thanks!
      david

      MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>
      CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
      Sieg X3/Super X3 Mill Information, HF/Enco Coupons <http://www.superx3.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
        Hello David:

        I am with you. The minimill is a versatile and quality
        machine way out of proportion to its cost. True, it
        isn't a Bridgeport, but then people needing a
        Bridgeport should buy a Bridgeport. For a hobbiest who
        has little room in the garage but lots of room in his
        wallet, it would be hard to imagine a more capable
        machine.

        Many people get started with the minimill and then run
        into the minimills limitations. Many of these
        limitations can be overcome. Some cannot. If a users
        needs exceed the capabilities of the machine then they
        bought the wrong machine. Some of us go further by
        modifying the basic machine to overcome some of these
        limitations. A whole industry has sprung up around the
        minimill and other machines dealing with these
        modifications. I would site you David at fignoogle
        design as one of the companies supplying an awesome
        array of available goodies for the minimill. Many
        people have commented on the fine quality of your
        products to the minimill community. Chris Woods from
        Little Machine Shop should take a bow for providing
        mods, tooling, information and too many other things
        to list. DeWayne Harlow of CNCBridges is about to
        change the whole ball game with his big table kits
        which will truly expand the possibilities of this
        machine by making parts possible that were to this
        point only possible with much larger and more
        expensive machines. The people at Xylotex, HobbyCNC
        and yes even CNC Fusion have opened up incredible
        possibilities by making CNC in the hobby shop a very
        real and relatively easy undertaking.

        I have examined the posts from people who are
        complaining about the minimill. Generally they fall
        into three categories. They bought the wrong milling
        machine to try to save money, they are used to larger
        more rigid industrial machines, or they are using bad
        technique.

        I for one am very happy indeed with my minimill. It
        has far exceeded my fondest expectations. Now with 4
        axis CNC and a larger table and very soon a belt
        drive, I am quite certain that it will continue to
        amaze me for many many years.

        Barry Young
        Young Camera Company

        --- figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

        > hi all-
        >
        > during the past week, we've been toying around with
        > a round column
        > mill-drill (rong-fu 31 clone).
        >
        > it's been quite nice for hogging away at material
        > (which greatly reduces
        > prototyping time with its bulk and .001" dials - no
        > dro yet), but it lacks
        > in other areas where the x2 shines (relatively
        > speaking).
        >
        > it has this vibration issue that greatly affects
        > surfaces finishes. using
        > a fly cutter creates ridges no matter how slow the
        > feed rate. after
        > reducing vibration by using the fenner brand
        > powertwist adjust-a-link
        > belts instead of the stock v-belts, the surface
        > finish (all other
        > variables being equal) greatly improved.
        > unfortunately, it looks like
        > there's a bit more work to do. compare this with the
        > mini-mill which
        > produces mirror finishes using the same fly cutter..
        >
        > the reason for this post is to once again give kudos
        > to the x2 mini-mill.
        > even with its limitations discussed on this list,
        > given the price,
        > portability, overall "performance" of this machine,
        > it still makes it
        > quite the buy.
        >
        > you can read up more about the round column mill:

        <http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/round-column-mill-drills/grainger-dayton-round-column-mill-drill-2AC40A.htm>
        > or
        > <http://tinyurl.com/3y46dl>
        >
        > thanks!
        > david

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
          Barry, did you get one of those tables from DeWayne? If not, have you
          seen one in person? DeWayne said he was going to post some videos in
          January, but they're not up yet. I know we don't need to ask you to
          post your experiences with this product...it looks like a great
          addition to the mill. -- John P

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
            Hi John:

            I only placed my order on the 25th of January. The
            website says to allow 30-45 days. For me the first
            test of this new supplier will be seeing if there is a
            new mill table on my front porch by March 12. I
            received an email from DeWayne who said that he has
            not yet shipped a table to anyone. The various CNC
            forums have many posts about how there was an
            unexpected problem with the molds which had to be
            re-made.

            No I have not see one of the tables in person. I sure
            would like to. I will report exactly what happens
            right here in the minimill group.

            Thanks John.

            Barry Young
            Young Camera Company

            --- John <john@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > reducing vibration by using the fenner brand
            > > > powertwist adjust-a-link
            > > > belts instead of the stock v-belts, the surface
            > > > finish (all other
            > > > variables being equal) greatly improved.
            > > > unfortunately, it looks like
            > > > there's a bit more work to do. compare this with
            > the
            > > > mini-mill which
            > > > produces mirror finishes using the same fly
            > cutter..
            > > >
            > > > the reason for this post is to once again give
            > kudos
            > > > to the x2 mini-mill.
            > > > even with its limitations discussed on this
            > list,
            > > > given the price,
            > > > portability, overall "performance" of this
            > machine,
            > > > it still makes it
            > > > quite the buy.
            > > >
            > > > you can read up more about the round column

            8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time