Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Slitting Saws

  • Jonathan Bumstead
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007

      about slitting saws and their SFM cutting rate.. this link provided me with some anxwers.
      in 12L14 the rpm on a 2" SS  is about 128+\- ( according to the link above )

      Respect Always
      Metalshaper
    • Mike Gehring
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
        Hi all, I know that brass bronze, is supposed to be "free cutting",  but when using slitting saws, GET out your throw away shirt and put up a shower curtain around the mill. Keep a steady drip or light continuous flow of oil and the chatter will decrease dramatically.  You'll still get that rhythmic saw beat but not  a screeching or pounding type of noise and the saw will cut so much faster you will hardly believe the difference. And increase the life of your saws. Especially being so thin , They don't dissipate the heat quick enough I guess
            With aluminum, I use a mix of LARD (unsalred) cooking oil or whatever oil say 30 wt and a generous dose of graphite. works good on bandsaw too.  cheapest graphite I've found is on Anmerican Science and Surplus   www  sciplus dot com
             Of course with steel  flood with oil.
             If you don't curtain in the mill, DON't drink that coffee 5 feet away after slitting, cause it and EVERY tool on the bench will be oil coated, whether you notice it at first or not.  By then its too late. And quite often smoke generated even if going slow
           Regards,  Mike G.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007

          Thank you.  I will try that and go from there.

          AL T

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007

            Mike that is a very fair warning and I will certainly heed every word.  I am really not ready to saw but have a number of projects that requires slitting.  Thank you very, very much for the info.

            AL T