Fine feed knob handle

  • Gary Harper
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
      I was doing some boring the other day and I was
      thinking that the fine feed knob could really use a
      handle. Has anyone ever added one? If so, how did you
      like it? I'm thinking of adding small like on the
      mini-lathe.
    • Leo Reed
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
        I agree!  I made this addition and it really helps!  I used an aluminum plate a little thicker than the fine feed knob. I turned the outside round and rounded the edge profile.  I bored the center to accept the original fine feed knob's diameter and left the front edge bored to a smaller diameter, so that it would press on the front edge of the fine feed knob. It is held on to the original fine feed knob by a setscrew. I then took a round brass bar and shaped it into a handle. It is screwed into the new aluminum fine feed knob. It has the feed directions inscribed on the face, i.e. U <------>D .

        This not only makes feed in the Z direction easier, but enhances the looks of the mini-mill!  The dimensions are;  diameter of the knob: 3.250", thickness of knob: 0.600". length of handle: 2".

        Hope this helps.

        Leo (pearland, tx)

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
          I wouldn't have thought of doing it like that. I
          think the way you did it is very clever! Thanks.

          --- Leo Reed <lpreedzone@...> wrote:

          > I agree! I made this addition and it really helps!
          > I used an aluminum plate a little thicker than the
          > fine feed knob. I turned the outside round and
          > rounded the edge profile. I bored the center to
          > accept the original fine feed knob's diameter and
          > left the front edge bored to a smaller diameter, so
          > that it would press on the front edge of the fine
          > feed knob. It is held on to the original fine feed
          > knob by a setscrew. I then took a round brass bar
          > and shaped it into a handle. It is screwed into the
          > new aluminum fine feed knob. It has the feed
          > directions inscribed on the face, i.e. U <------>D .
          >
          > This not only makes feed in the Z direction easier,
          > but enhances the looks of the mini-mill! The
          > dimensions are; diameter of the knob: 3.250",
          > thickness of knob: 0.600". length of handle: 2".
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Leo (pearland, tx)

        • radish1us
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 29, 2006

            Now that's a GOOD way of doing it, any chance of a photo to show
            exactly what you have achieved, please.

            regards radish
          • Leo Reed
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 29, 2006
              Radish, I would be glad to send a photo of the mill, but I think the group strips any attachments from the messages. And, I don't know how to post to the Photo Section.

              Leo (pearland, tx)

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 29, 2006
                Could you email the picture directly to me? You
                should be able to see my email address.

                --- Leo Reed <lpreedzone@...> wrote:

                > Radish, I would be glad to send a photo of the mill,
                > but I think the group strips any attachments from
                > the messages. And, I don't know how to post to the
                > Photo Section.
                >
                > Leo (pearland, tx)

              • Mike Payson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 29, 2006
                  The best way to share photos is not the photos section, but using www.Flickr.com. The photos section is limited to 20megs of photos (I think) per -group-. Flickr is limited to 20 megs of -uploaded- photos per -month-. In other words, any individual can have hundreds of megs of photos online, but they can only upload 20 megs per month. The group as a whole can have as many as they want. Flickr also allows you to annotate photos (extremely useful) and allows people to comment on them.

                  Just tag your photos with the group name, as well as any other useful tags (such as mods and FineFeedKnob -- tags can't have spaces). There's also a group for the minimill that I created at http://www.flickr.com/groups/grizhfminimill/ which will help people find related photos.

                  Flickr requires you to have an account, but they are owned by Yahoo, so you can log in using the same username/password that you use to log in to Yahoo Groups.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 29, 2006
                    Gary, I can see my email address, but your address seems to be GrizHF....

                    Send me an email directly to me and I will see if I can send you a picture or two. I am only on "dial-up" so I may have to send a low-res picture.

                    Regards,
                    Leo

                    --- Leo Reed <lpreedzone@earthlin k.net> wrote:

                    > Radish, I would be glad to send a photo of the mill,
                    > but I think the group strips any attachments from
                    > the messages. And, I don't know how to post to the
                    > Photo Section.
                    >
                    > Leo (pearland, tx)

                  • Allyn Thompson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 29, 2006

                      What is the name for the minimill you started?  I tried every thing I could think of to get it. Nada.

                      AL T

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 29, 2006
                        I named the flickr group the same as this grooup, aka grizhfminimill. You can access it at http://www.flickr.com/groups/grizhfminimill/. There's nothing there yet, but I wanted to encourage people to use Flickr instead of the photos section since it is pretty much useless (not searchable, no annotations, limited captions, no comments, limited storage...).

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2006
                          Gary,

                          I sent the photos this morning. Please let me know if you received them.

                          Leo (pearland, tx)

                        • callerdoit
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
                            ---
                            Thank the photos were great and a good idea as well..

                            David Oulton , Canada