Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Home made parallels..........possible?

  • Jim RabidWolf
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 8, 2006
      Sorry, James, I should have been more specific - I am talking about using
      LATHE tool bits (straight, as is without modification) - you can buy them in
      sizes from 1/8 in. square to an inch or more - the smaller bits,
      1/8,1/4,5/16,3/8 are available dirt cheap.

      Rabid

      > jamesdobsonlathe <jimjen@...> wrote:
      > Can you name some square tool bits for me? I have been
      sitting here
      > thinking what some are and I must be having a mental block (most
      > likely!).
      >
      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf"

    • h12721
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 8, 2006
        --
        And also keep the cut off tools in mind. 1/8 x 1/2 or so.
        Hilmar

        wrote:

        > Sorry, James, I should have been more specific - I am talking about
        using
        > LATHE tool bits (straight, as is without modification) - you can buy
        them in
        > sizes from 1/8 in. square to an inch or more - the smaller bits,
        > 1/8,1/4,5/16,3/8 are available dirt cheap.
        >
        > Rabid
        >
        > > jamesdobsonlathe <jimjen@> wrote:
        > > Can you name some square tool bits for me? I have been
        > sitting here
        > > thinking what some are and I must be having a mental block (most
        > > likely!).
        > >
        > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf"

      • pat02uk
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
          One way of doing this is described in the book "Milling A Complete
          Course" by Harold Hall.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jamesdobsonlathe" <jimjen@...>
          wrote:

          > Is it possible to make a set of parallels using the mini mill? Or are
          > these something that must be bought ?

        • Willem van Biljon
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
            It is possible, and it is one of the beginner projects described in "The
            home machinist's handbook" by Briney.
            To sum it up:
            1. Make them in pairs.
            2. Mill (or fly-cut) the one side of both at the same time (i.e. side by
            side).
            3. Flip them over, and indicate the bottom to ensure the freshly milled
            sides are 100% level.
            4. Mill or fly-cut the top sides together to now be parallel to the
            previously milled sides.
            5. Repeat for the other two sides.
            6. If you really want to you can do the 5th and 6th sides the same way.
            Willem