REX Minimill

  • kentfreeman@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2001
      Has anyon one purchased the REX minimill? They install 1x10
      leadscrews and new dials. Just wondering if the upgrade is worth it?
    • csd@dsli.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 19, 2001
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., kentfreeman@e... wrote:
        > Has anyon one purchased the REX minimill? They install 1x10
        > leadscrews and new dials. Just wondering if the upgrade is worth
        it?

        There is someone offering these on eBay. They they do a few other
        things to the mill as well. They fill the column with some sort of
        polymer. They say this reduces vibration. The resurface the table and
        dovetails in addition to the things you mentioned.

        I suppose if you are into really close tolerances the difference
        might be worth it, but at close to double the cost, for what I do the
        Griz is more than adequate.

        Cullen
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
          I do close tolerance (relatively of course, this isn't
          a jig boring machine) on my minimill doing camera part
          manufacture. If you attach the top of the column to
          the wall it is way stiff enough.

          Barry

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • wmiller45@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2001
            Hi Kent,

            Newbie here, didn't know this group existed. Been on the 7x10 site
            for a while.

            I ordered a REX mill (should have it in a couple of weeks), after
            spending over an hour on the phone with Rick LaLonde the owner of the
            company. Mine has several options, and is 3 times the cost of the
            regular Grizzly, but the majority of the additional cost is in the
            USA made hardened/ground R-8 spindle and ABEC class-7 angular contact
            bearings. I got some other options like a re-enforced and ANOCAST
            filled iron column and adjustable ACME nuts on all 3 axis'. He has a
            non-adjustable, ultra rigid iron column as an option, but it's in the
            proto phase and I don't have the patience to wait 8 weeks to get it.
            It's an upgrade option if I want it later.

            I work on hardened steel, stainless, and titanium in the course of my
            pistolsmithing hobby, not to mention some fairly tight tolerances.
            Most people don't need/want this level of precision in a mill this
            size, but I'm sick and tired of trying to make do with my Sherline
            lathe and mill. I need more mass/rigidity! ;)

            Hope this helps,
            Bil

          • jtveazey@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 27, 2001
              Where does one find REX Minimill? Got a web address for them?
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2001
                Outstanding! I am happy someone is doing quality mods
                to this basic tool.

                Does this person have a web site?

                Barry

                http://phone.yahoo.com
              • wmiller45@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 27, 2001
                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., Barry Young <barryjyoung@y...> wrote:

                  > Outstanding! I am happy someone is doing quality mods
                  > to this basic tool.
                  >
                  > Does this person have a web site?
                  >
                  > Barry

                  No, no website. He advertises in HSM everymonth though. If you want
                  his phone #, email me off list (I don't receive emails from this
                  list) and I'll send it to you.

                  He's getting busy enough now that extra help will soon be needed in
                  the shop. Maybe then he'll get time to get a web site up. ;-)

                  Bill
                • kentfreeman@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 28, 2001
                    Bill

                    Thanks for the info. I would like to hear from you in the future on
                    how you like your REX. I ended up corresponding with Rick a couple
                    of times. I was leaning toward the purchase of a REX. I held off
                    due to the fact I couldn't see the machine before purchase and I
                    learned that Poseidon (http://www.poseidon-usa.com/mill.html) is
                    bringing out a new machine very similar to the REX but has a quill
                    feed. The machine is not available in the US yet but is available in
                    the UK from Chronos
                    (http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Milling_Machines
                    _33.html).

                    Chronos said the machine was no longer available from them and it
                    would be coming off their website. That was about a month ago and it
                    is still on the site. Poseidon is hoping to have the machine in
                    stock by January. Till them I will be making do with my Sherline
                    lathe with milling column which isn't that bad. I just get
                    frustrated with the backlash in the milling column. Having the head
                    moving up and down makes it hard to hold tolerance.

                  • wmiller45@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 28, 2001
                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., kentfreeman@e... wrote:
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > Thanks for the info. I would like to hear from you in the future
                      on
                      > how you like your REX. I ended up corresponding with Rick a couple
                      > of times. I was leaning toward the purchase of a REX. I held off
                      > due to the fact I couldn't see the machine before purchase and I
                      > learned that Poseidon (http://www.poseidon-usa.com/mill.html) is
                      > bringing out a new machine very similar to the REX but has a quill
                      > feed.

                      Quill feed would be nice, but then again so would a knee under the
                      table, neither of which fit within my cost or space constraints. ;)
                      The work I do doesn't require boring on the mill, but it would suffer
                      from the flexability of the (relatively) small tubular vertical
                      column found in the Poseidon/Emco type mill. I guess I could always
                      put a power feed on the z-axis if need be.

                      I did check out the Poseidon, but didn't like the round column nor
                      the tolerance specs. Maybe Rick will put a quill feed in the bed mill
                      he is designing? We can only hope. I also was leary of 'sight unseen'
                      but Cris at littlemachineshop.com has seen them (REX) and had nothing
                      but good comments about the machine and the workmanship.

                      >Till them I will be making do with my Sherline
                      > lathe with milling column which isn't that bad. I just get
                      > frustrated with the backlash in the milling column. Having the
                      head
                      > moving up and down makes it hard to hold tolerance.

                      Sounds like you have a earlier Sherline that doesn't have the z-axis
                      lock like mine does. Check with them for the upgrade. Not sure what I
                      will do with my Sherline machines...throw them on a shelf I guess.

                      Bill
                    • philteague@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 28, 2001
                        Assuming that space is not a problem would a mill/drill been an
                        option? It would certainly be more rigid than a Grizzly minimill and
                        it would handle R-8 out of the box. For three times the price of a
                        minimill you could get a 3 phase motor with a VFD. The RF-31 is not a
                        small machine but you do get a lot for the money.

                      • wmiller45@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 28, 2001
                          I might be able to make room, but one of my requirements is that I be
                          able to move the machine myself, which limits me to ~200 lbs. I'm
                          getting old, and can't lift much more than that by myself onto a
                          bench. I also don't have 3-phase, but I do understand that you can
                          run a phase converter. I'd have to have an electrician run 220 to the
                          garage, but that isn't that big a deal unto itself.

                          Lastly, I don't like the fact that you lose registration every time
                          you move the head vertically. I like the idea of a square vertical
                          column to maintain registration. Size wise, I don't need that big of
                          a machine, as pistols generally use small(er) parts. The REX is over
                          twice the weight of the Sherline, and iron. The fact that REX trues
                          the machines to tenths makes this machine more of a known accuracy
                          wise, that another import. Does the RF have class 7 spindle bearings?

                          I have variable speed on the REX, and if the motor becomes a problem,
                          I'll find another. Once I can afford to get my next lathe (Grizz
                          11x26 light duty) and a rotary table, I'll make some metal gears if
                          the white nylon ones in the REX break, or convert to a belt. Rick
                          says none of his customers have broken a gear yet. They're quieter
                          too! ;)

                          I'm not picking on the RF. I've heard great things about it. It's
                          just a tad on the big side for me is all. It's going to cost me a
                          little more to get what I want given my overall size/accuracy
                          desires, but I think it will be worth it. To me anyway. ;)

                          Thanks for the suggestion,
                          Bill