Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: removing the intermediate gearset and inside look at the head

  • figNoggle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      hi ray-

      On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Ray Livingston wrote:

      > David,
      > I love the simplicty and common-sense approach of your belt-drive
      > conversion (and all of your conversions, for that matter). Only
      > laziness and a lack of free time have kept me from doing something
      > very similar. When you have the plans/kit ready, I'm in! I've

      thanks for the compliments! we'll have the belt drive plans (and possibly
      kits) available shortly. we wanted to put some more real-world testing
      into it before we make it available - so far so good! all of the
      home-brewed cnc mill project parts have been created using our cnc plans,
      acme kit and belt drive prototype and the the belt drive's held up well.

      > wondered about the need for dual-speed. I pretty much always run
      > mine with the gearbox in the high-speed position, and have never had
      > a problem with torque.

      most of the time when the mill was stock, it would always be in high gear
      anyway..

      > I wonder if you could cut that keyway a lot easier by drilling a
      > hole in the keyway location before boring the pulley, then using the
      > lathe to just square it off, and cut to finish depth. Should go a
      > lot faster.

      what an excellent idea! will try this and report back.

      thanks!
      david

      MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>
      CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>