Taig VS HF44991

  • Jason Porter
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2006

       I have had a HF44991 for about a year and decided that instead of upgrading it to CNC, that I would buy Taig machine because of its greater x and y travel and faster spindle.

      I assumed that because the basic Taig mill cost twice as much as my HF that everything was going to be bigger and better.

      So imagine my surprise when my machine arrived and I learned that the Taig ER16 spindle can only handle collets of up to 3/8” in size.

      Don’t get me wrong.  This is still a great machine and more industrial strength (specially the ¼ HP motor) than the HF noisy motor.  But I am still amazed at the limitation of the collet sizes.

      Now I have to figure out if there are fixtures or adapters that will allow me to use my larger end-mills and drill bits without loosing accuracy.

      Also I have not been able to find a shaft for my J33 keyless drill chuck that will have a 3/8” shaft.  They don’t make them smaller that ½”

      Was the Taig designed to be for cutting jewelry or something?

      Please let me know your thoughts.

    • figNoggle
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2006
        hi jason-

        you could make your own end mill holders but given the thru dia. of er16
        (or the taig spindle), the end mills may eat up some of the z-axis.

        if you can get the taig to move and rapid faster than the mini-mill, then
        that combined with its faster spindle (though smaller bit sizes) could
        potentially still yield faster machining times.. this all depends on
        speeds/feeds appropriate for your conditions.

        hope this helps! (no experience with taig, so can't comment)
        david

        MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>
        CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
        Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>