Boring Head for Mini Mill

  • ekzacto
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30 11:38 PM
      I am a new owner of a mini mill, and am wondering if these little
      machines can handle the unbalanced load of a boring head without
      shaking apart. I would like to bore and counterbore holes up to about
      1 or 1-1/4 inches. Do the widely available 2" heads (from Enco,
      Grizzly, LMS, etc) work OK?
    • chippiejnr
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31 2:54 AM
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ekzacto" <thompsonjc@...>
        wrote:

        > I am a new owner of a mini mill, and am wondering if these little
        > machines can handle the unbalanced load of a boring head without
        > shaking apart.
        Do the widely available 2" heads (from Enco,
        > Grizzly, LMS, etc) work OK?

        Yes they work fine....just dont go too fast with the speed....
        I use one to bore out a hole in the top plate while doing the drive
        belt mod (the Jerry Rollet version )
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31 3:37 AM
          Mine works great. No problem at all. Run it slow
          though.

          Barry Young
          Young Camera Company

          --- ekzacto <thompsonjc@...> wrote:

          > I am a new owner of a mini mill, and am wondering if
          > these little
          > machines can handle the unbalanced load of a boring
          > head without
          > shaking apart. I would like to bore and counterbore
          > holes up to about
          > 1 or 1-1/4 inches. Do the widely available 2" heads
          > (from Enco,
          > Grizzly, LMS, etc) work OK?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31 10:06 AM
            On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 06:38:36 -0000, you wrote:

            >I am a new owner of a mini mill, and am wondering if these little
            >machines can handle the unbalanced load of a boring head without
            >shaking apart. I would like to bore and counterbore holes up to about
            >1 or 1-1/4 inches. Do the widely available 2" heads (from Enco,
            >Grizzly, LMS, etc) work OK?

            Yes, they do work well with boring heads, but you want to take off no
            more than about 0.020 to 0.030 at the max when boring, and do so
            gently. I use a vertical boring bar, not a horizontal one. I think
            that the maximum reasonable diameter of a bored hole is probably about
            1.5 inches or so.

            If you need pictures of one working, try www.dragonworks.info in the
            machining section.

            Harvey

          • figNoggle
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31 10:21 AM
              hi-

              they'll work fine. as barry said, run it slow. your mill may still wobble
              a bit, especially when cutting larger holes and the bit holder is
              extended to the max.

              something to think about is whether you're going to end up buying er
              collets. the boring head here from enco is a r8 which was fine when r8
              collets where used on the x2, but after switching to er collets, a
              straight-shanked boring head would make tool changing easier.

              as a data point, holes were bored up to somewhere close to 4" in diameter
              in aluminum and steel. the hardest (literally) material cut was the hole
              for the lathe qctp body:

              <http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/8x12lathe/figNoggle_boringHeadCut.wmv>

              hope this helps!

              david

              ACME Screw & Acetal/Delrin Kit <http://www.fignoggle.com/kits/acmekit.htm>
              CNC Plans <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm> (DRO too)
              Harbor Freight 10%, 20% and ENCO Free Shipping Coupons
              <http://www.superx3.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=15>

              On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Barry Young wrote:

              > Mine works great. No problem at all. Run it slow
              > though.
              >
              > Barry Young
              > Young Camera Company
              >
              > --- ekzacto <thompsonjc@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I am a new owner of a mini mill, and am wondering if
              > > these little
              > > machines can handle the unbalanced load of a boring
              > > head without
              > > shaking apart. I would like to bore and counterbore
              > > holes up to about
              > > 1 or 1-1/4 inches. Do the widely available 2" heads
              > > (from Enco,
              > > Grizzly, LMS, etc) work OK?
            • tuchison
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31 10:29 AM
                Yes, they work fine. I also ordered the video from Little Machine Shop
                on the "The Boring Head". It was either 19 or 29$, a bargain for
                teaching me how to do it in less than an hour. There are also some
                applications in the video I would not have expected.
                As for the unbalanced load, its actially not to bad, if you calculate
                your feeds and speeds, a 1 inch hole in 6061 should be between 300 and
                800 RPM for HSS cutters (give or take). So its not too bad, once you
                start cutting it sort of balances out. You should adjust your speed and
                depth of cut by listening to the noise and vibration you are creating.
                I suggest shallow (<.010) cuts at first until you see how it's working.
                Go for it, good Luck!

                Tom

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ekzacto" <thompsonjc@...> wrote:

                > I am a new owner of a mini mill, and am wondering if these little
                > machines can handle the unbalanced load of a boring head without
                > shaking apart. I would like to bore and counterbore holes up to
                about
                > 1 or 1-1/4 inches. Do the widely available 2" heads (from Enco,
                > Grizzly, LMS, etc) work OK?

              • steveh8861
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 31 12:59 PM
                  Even though my mill is cnc'd I still whip out the boring bar when I
                  want a high precision hole.I'm hoping 0 backlash ballscrews on my x3
                  will eliminate the need for it altogether as using the boring bar is
                  such a tedious process.
                  I like solid carbide boring bars. Very little deflection with them.
                  I generally start up the speed slow and feel the head. You'll be able
                  to tell when it begins to just vibrate. Then back off the speed.
                  I do use my boring bar most often to flycut. It makes a great large
                  diameter flycut tool holder.
                  Steve