Collet Spec. Confusion

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
      My previous attempt appears to have gotten itself eaten by Yahoo! I
      hope that I don't end up double posting...

      OK, color me confused...

      I realize that there are many collets out there, and more than a few
      "standard" designs. I used to use 5C collets in a Hardinge lathe
      regularly way back when...

      Well, when I bought my HF version of the SIEG X2, I didn't really
      think about what the spec.s might be for the collets which came in the
      endmill holder set which I bought from them at the same time. It's
      since been discontinued, but Micro-Mark has introduced a newer version
      which uses the same collets:
      http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82575

      My dumb question: After I woke up and realized that these collets can
      be used in many ways, I compared them to the known "standard" designs,
      and they don't match - they appear to be a hybrid of the ER25 and ER40
      sizes. Does anyone know what the designation really is?

      Because I would like to not have to invest in a large amount of new
      metal to use collets as workholders on my 9x20 lathe if I can avoid
      spending too much at the moment.

      Otherwise, I may end up investing in a collet chuck and using 5C
      collets - pricy, but ultimately more flexible (wider range of sizes
      than with any other collet system I've looked at). This is probably my
      long-term solution, but I'm trying to buy some time with an interim
      solution.

      Thanks in advance for any answers!

      Eric
    • figNoggle
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
        hi eric-

        you're not alone :) i had purchased a collet chuck from enco thinking it
        would work with a set of er32's (which i knoew i wanted after doing some
        research). turned out the chuck was for "double angle" spring collets and
        not the er series:

        <http://www.fignoggle.com/tooling/hold-erCollets.htm>

        looks like that's what's being sold by micro-mark.

        i haven't looked into this yet, but you should be able to fashion or buy
        some collet closer for er series collets (can someone repost links here?)
        which will let you also use them in your lathe.

        hope this helps!

        david

        (NEW!) MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Your source for metalworking tips, tricks,
        and how-tos. Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>
        ACME Screw & Acetal/Delrin Kit <http://www.fignoggle.com/kits/acmekit.htm>
        CNC Plans <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm> (DRO too)
        8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-To's and More <http://www.fignoggle.com>
        Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>
        Harbor Freight 10%, 20% and ENCO Free Shipping Coupons
        <http://www.superx3.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=15>

        On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Eric wrote:

        > My previous attempt appears to have gotten itself eaten by Yahoo! I
        > hope that I don't end up double posting...
        >
        > OK, color me confused...
        >
        > I realize that there are many collets out there, and more than a few
        > "standard" designs. I used to use 5C collets in a Hardinge lathe
        > regularly way back when...
        >
        > Well, when I bought my HF version of the SIEG X2, I didn't really
        > think about what the spec.s might be for the collets which came in the
        > endmill holder set which I bought from them at the same time. It's
        > since been discontinued, but Micro-Mark has introduced a newer version
        > which uses the same collets:
        > http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82575
        >
        > My dumb question: After I woke up and realized that these collets can
        > be used in many ways, I compared them to the known "standard" designs,
        > and they don't match - they appear to be a hybrid of the ER25 and ER40
        > sizes. Does anyone know what the designation really is?
        >
        > Because I would like to not have to invest in a large amount of new
        > metal to use collets as workholders on my 9x20 lathe if I can avoid
        > spending too much at the moment.
        >
        > Otherwise, I may end up investing in a collet chuck and using 5C
        > collets - pricy, but ultimately more flexible (wider range of sizes
        > than with any other collet system I've looked at). This is probably my
        > long-term solution, but I'm trying to buy some time with an interim
        > solution.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any answers!
        >
        > Eric
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • figNoggle
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
          oops! i meant "single angle". as far as the series name, try looking
          through the jlindustrial catalog.

          thanks!

          figNoggle Designs' Workshop of CNC 8"x12" Mini-Lathe, X2 Belt Drive
          Conversion, and More! <http://www.fignoggle.com/workshop>

          On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, figNoggle wrote:

          > research). turned out the chuck was for "double angle" spring collets and
          > not the er series:
        • Eric
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
            Hi David,

            If these were ER32 or ER40 collets, no problem! - I'd just buy the
            collet holder with an MT3 taper, and set up a drawbar...

            I've now heard from a couple of folks on the 9x20 group as well, and
            these collets are some unpublished "standard" design specifically
            intended for use only with mills...

            Micro-Mark sells a set of the endmill holder collets and a
            holder/chuck in MT3 - for ~$150 - at which point I would just start
            over with an known ER32 set from Little Machine Shop... Or maybe look
            more seriously at using 5C collets - I kind of gave up on that idea
            back 10 years ago, but with the new lower prices on some of the stuff,
            it might be more practical now.

            I've got to say pretty much the same for the DA or SA collets, and in
            spades for the *other* "standard" collets!

            5C collets eat up a lot of real estate on the 9x20, because the
            spindle is only 19mm ID through... Can't pull them in like you can
            with a larger machine...

            OTOH, I've not seen any ER series collets with through holes for
            square or hex stock, either!

            Thanks for the input - now I just need to come up with a plan which
            won't break the bank...

            Thanks!

            Eric

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

            > hi eric-
            >
            > you're not alone :) i had purchased a collet chuck from enco thinking it
            > would work with a set of er32's (which i knoew i wanted after doing some
            > research). turned out the chuck was for "double angle" spring
            collets and
            > not the er series:
            >
            > <http://www.fignoggle.com/tooling/hold-erCollets.htm>
            >
            > looks like that's what's being sold by micro-mark.
            >
            > i haven't looked into this yet, but you should be able to fashion or buy
            > some collet closer for er series collets (can someone repost links
            here?)
            > which will let you also use them in your lathe.
            >
            > hope this helps!
            >
            > david
            >

            > (NEW!) MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Your source for metalworking tips, tricks,
            > and how-tos. Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>
            > ACME Screw & Acetal/Delrin Kit
            <http://www.fignoggle.com/kits/acmekit.htm>
            > CNC Plans <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm> (DRO too)
            > 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-To's and More <http://www.fignoggle.com>
            > Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>
            > Harbor Freight 10%, 20% and ENCO Free Shipping Coupons
            > <http://www.superx3.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=15>
            >
            > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Eric wrote:
            >
            > > My previous attempt appears to have gotten itself eaten by Yahoo! I
            > > hope that I don't end up double posting...
            > >
            > > OK, color me confused...
            > >
            > > I realize that there are many collets out there, and more than a few
            > > "standard" designs. I used to use 5C collets in a Hardinge lathe
            > > regularly way back when...
            > >
            > > Well, when I bought my HF version of the SIEG X2, I didn't really
            > > think about what the spec.s might be for the collets which came in the
            > > endmill holder set which I bought from them at the same time. It's
            > > since been discontinued, but Micro-Mark has introduced a newer version
            > > which uses the same collets:

            http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82575

            > > My dumb question: After I woke up and realized that these collets can
            > > be used in many ways, I compared them to the known "standard" designs,
            > > and they don't match - they appear to be a hybrid of the ER25 and ER40
            > > sizes. Does anyone know what the designation really is?
            > >
            > > Because I would like to not have to invest in a large amount of new
            > > metal to use collets as workholders on my 9x20 lathe if I can avoid
            > > spending too much at the moment.
            > >
            > > Otherwise, I may end up investing in a collet chuck and using 5C
            > > collets - pricy, but ultimately more flexible (wider range of sizes
            > > than with any other collet system I've looked at). This is probably my
            > > long-term solution, but I'm trying to buy some time with an interim
            > > solution.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance for any answers!
            > >
            > > Eric
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Wayde C. Gutman
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
              www.tallgrasstools.com

              The above site sells a ER-32 Collet Adapter in kit or completed form.

              -Wayde
            • Eric
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22, 2006
                Wayde,

                TOO steep for my wallet... Besides, If I *wanted* to convert to ER32
                or ER40 collets, I'd buy the adaptor plus ~8 collets for the same $$$
                from Chris Wood at Little Machine Shop, just down the street (~3
                miles) from my home/office/shop

                http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2228

                I can easily make up a drawbar from allthread.

                If I were already using ER32 collets, I'd just buy this widget:
                http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2231
                even if the picture is of the R8 shanked unit...

                But, if I *need* to star from scratch anyway, I may as well aim for
                using either MT3 collets, or start planning to go over to 5C collets
                like I used to use ~15 years ago - these days there are ways to use
                them with a 9x20 lathe which didn't exist 10 years ago - when I was
                also a lot less experienced at making up tooling to come up with my
                own solution to such a challenge.

                Mind you, I probably have as little time for such a project as ever...

                My situation is that the endmill holder uses collets with an unknown
                specification, and I wanted to see if I could borrow the collets for
                the lathe. I might make my own adaptor chuck for MT3, since I don't
                want to buy another set from Micro-Mark just to get the adaptor.

                Or, as I've said before, bite the bullet and start planning for using
                5C collets - probably a better solution in the long run.

                Some things are ultimately less hassle to buy...

                Thanks!

                Eric

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Wayde C. Gutman"
                <waydecgutman@...> wrote:

                > www.tallgrasstools.com
                >
                > The above site sells a ER-32 Collet Adapter in kit or completed form.
                >
                > -Wayde

              • h12721
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 22, 2006
                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eanderson@...> wrote:

                  Besides, If I *wanted* to convert to ER32
                  > or ER40 collets, I'd buy the adaptor plus ~8 collets for the same $$$
                  > You did better check if they are ER32 spec.They may not.

                  > TOO steep for my wallet...
                  > 5C collets - probably a better solution in the long run.

                  See what you pay for that set up!
                  Hilmar
                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 22, 2006
                    True, but it's an apples and lemons kind of deal <G>

                    One's a stop-gap solution, and the other is a long term fix.

                    And, except for the initial cost of the collet chuck, we're talking
                    about a dribs & drabs kind of buying pattern for the 5C setup - and a
                    Lot more versatile to my eyes than the ER series collets.

                    As for the ER series collets from LMS, they are true ER series
                    collets. Chris Woods is human, but he's pretty darned careful about
                    selling decent quality stuff.

                    As I see it, the collet closer for the 5C cllets can be a widget which
                    fits in the MT3 of the spindle with a drawbar through the headstock
                    for tensioning. Might be a simpler device that screws on the outside
                    of the spindle.

                    Not necessarily cheap, but I need to do a little shopping / careful
                    ebaying.

                    The initial idea won't work, and therefore I need to look at a more
                    long-term solution.