Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Motor mounting screws coming loose

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 6 3:38 PM
      Awesome post Peter. Thank you very much.

      Barry Young
      Young Camera Company

      http://www.diff.net/media/2006_06_25_control_horn_mold/

      > -Peter
      >

      > Not likely to be any ambiguity, but these are the
      > parts referenced to
      > the exploded view. The screws (#131) that bolt the
      > motor mount to the
      > rectangular part #130 on this diagram were what had
      > come loose:

      http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/Images/82573Parts.pdf

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 7 6:14 PM
        > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
        > using their mills....

        Just simple utility stuff, including:

        * A mounting bracket for a telescope dovetail rail.

        * A "back rest" (brace) for the camera that attaches to this bracket,
        becausse it was flexing oh so very slightly (50 micro inches is enough
        to shift the image on the CCD chip).

        * A Delrin thingy to depress the switch in the dishwasher door when
        it's closed. The original plastic one broke off.

        * A Delrin worm gear and worm (made from a 3/8" bolt) for a model
        railroad turntable.

        Lathe only:

        * A turned brass knob for a lamp, to replace the wire nut that has
        been serving for many years. :)

        * A Delrin sleeve for my office chair base, to replace the Nylon one
        that fell apart after 15 years. :)

        Mike Dodd
      • Cletus L. Berkeley
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 7 7:09 PM
          I'm busy scoring points using my mill and lathe!.... Making Fountain Nozzles and other water-feature tid-bits for the Wife's gardening project. She goes to Canada for vacation next month, that's when I intend to bring home the new Motorcycle I purchased today <BIG BIG GRIN>.
          Cheers, Cletus

          Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:
          > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
          > using their mills....

          Just simple utility stuff, including:

          * A mounting bracket for a telescope dovetail rail.

          * A "back rest" (brace) for the camera that attaches to this bracket,
          becausse it was flexing oh so very slightly (50 micro inches is enough
          to shift the image on the CCD chip).

          * A Delrin thingy to depress the switch in the dishwasher door when
          it's closed. The original plastic one broke off.

          * A Delrin worm gear and worm (made from a 3/8" bolt) for a model
          railroad turntable.

          Lathe only:

          * A turned brass knob for a lamp, to replace the wire nut that has
          been serving for many years. :)

          * A Delrin sleeve for my office chair base, to replace the Nylon one
          that fell apart after 15 years. :)

          Mike Dodd

          WITHOUT PREJUDICE
          This electronic transmission is intended for the named reipient(s)only and as such, the information/data contained herein may be deemed proprietary and/or confidential. Should you not be the intended recipient(s), please be advised that any disclosure, photocopying, distribution and/or use of the contents herein is strictly prohibited. Should you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to the sender immediately and destroy any and all information contained herein and all copies thereof.
          All Rights Reserved - TECHNIDYNE - Cletus Berkeley, MIEEE

          Cletus' Webpage - CLICK HERE

        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 7 9:51 PM
            On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:14:42 -0000, you wrote:

            >> I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
            >> using their mills....

            www.dragonworks.info

            Harvey

            >Just simple utility stuff, including:
            >
            >* A mounting bracket for a telescope dovetail rail.
            >
            >* A "back rest" (brace) for the camera that attaches to this bracket,
            >becausse it was flexing oh so very slightly (50 micro inches is enough
            >to shift the image on the CCD chip).
            >
            >* A Delrin thingy to depress the switch in the dishwasher door when
            >it's closed. The original plastic one broke off.
            >
            >* A Delrin worm gear and worm (made from a 3/8" bolt) for a model
            >railroad turntable.
            >
            >Lathe only:
            >
            >* A turned brass knob for a lamp, to replace the wire nut that has
            >been serving for many years. :)
            >
            >* A Delrin sleeve for my office chair base, to replace the Nylon one
            >that fell apart after 15 years. :)
            >
            >Mike Dodd
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Marcello Giura
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 8 2:34 AM
              > > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
              > > using their mills....

              ..and lathes.
              Principally, al replacement parts for the cheap Chinese toys my sons are
              given as presents: most of them are made to last a couple of hours, I've
              kept some in 'playing state' for a couple of years. <grin>
              [gonna expand the shop and look for some skilled help, to face the ever
              increasing customers requests...]
              The other main activity of my home shop lies in the home shop itself:
              machining for the sake of machining.
              ..sometimes, I happen to fix something broken in the house, or car, but not
              very frequently: once in a while, to ensure SWMBO is still well aware of how
              needed it is. <grin again>

              Marcello Giura
              Torino - Italia
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 8 3:53 AM
                Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.

                Who does your web design? Will they do mine?

                Barry Young
                Young Camera Company

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 8 4:21 AM
                  Cool mold Peter. Very good idea and execution.

                  I make ultra large format cameras which take film in sizes from 4x10
                  inches up to 20x24 inches. I make the film holders to go with them. I
                  also use my machinery to make parts for lenses and shutters and camera
                  bodies for other large and ultra large format photographers.

                  Barry Young
                  Young Camera Company
                • Cletus L. Berkeley

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 8 5:00 AM
                      Hi Cletus:

                      I sort of have a website.
                      www.cameramaker.com
                      But I absolutely suck at web design, so it is weak.\

                      Barry Young
                      Young Camera Company

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Cletus L. Berkeley"
                      <cberkeley@...> wrote:

                      > Barry
                      > Do you have a website?..... would sure like to take a look at
                      some of your products.
                      > Cheers, Cletus
                      >
                      > Barry Young <barryjyoung@...>
                      wrote: Cool mold Peter. Very good
                      idea and execution.

                      > I make ultra large format cameras which take film in sizes from
                      4x10
                      > inches up to 20x24 inches. I make the film holders to go with
                      them. I
                      > also use my machinery to make parts for lenses and shutters and
                      camera
                      > bodies for other large and ultra large format photographers.
                      >
                      > Barry Young
                      > Young Camera Company
                      >

                      > WITHOUT PREJUDICE
                      > This electronic transmission is intended for the named
                      reipient(s)only and as such, the information/data contained herein
                      may be deemed proprietary and/or confidential. Should you not be
                      the intended recipient(s), please be advised that any disclosure,
                      photocopying, distribution and/or use of the contents herein is
                      strictly prohibited. Should you have received this e-mail in error,
                      please reply to the sender immediately and destroy any and all
                      information contained herein and all copies thereof.
                      > All Rights Reserved - TECHNIDYNE - Cletus Berkeley, MIEEE
                      >
                      > Cletus' Webpage - CLICK HERE

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 8 11:05 AM
                        Repairing broken toys is stooring up trouble for the
                        future. Mine were inconsolable when informed that the
                        favourite toy was beyond repair after several previous
                        repairs. "but daddy you can mend anything" and SWMBO
                        joins in with, "well you did fix it before". So be
                        warned you are on a looser.

                        --- Marcello Giura <m.giura@...> wrote:

                        > > > I've often wondered what sorts of things people
                        > make
                        > > > using their mills....
                        >
                        > ..and lathes.
                        > Principally, al replacement parts for the cheap
                        > Chinese toys my sons are
                        > given as presents: most of them are made to last a
                        > couple of hours, I've
                        > kept some in 'playing state' for a couple of years.
                        > <grin>
                        > [gonna expand the shop and look for some skilled
                        > help, to face the ever
                        > increasing customers requests...]
                        > The other main activity of my home shop lies in the
                        > home shop itself:
                        > machining for the sake of machining.
                        > ..sometimes, I happen to fix something broken in the
                        > house, or car, but not
                        > very frequently: once in a while, to ensure SWMBO is
                        > still well aware of how
                        > needed it is. <grin again>
                        >
                        > Marcello Giura
                        > Torino - Italia

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Harvey White
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 8 1:34 PM
                          On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                          >Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.

                          Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.

                          >Who does your web design? Will they do mine?

                          hmmm... I do.

                          I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather heavy on java,
                          generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP has to support
                          Microsoft extensions. Not all do.

                          Harvey

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 8 2:58 PM
                            Thank you Harvey

                            --- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                            > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
                            >
                            > >Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.
                            >
                            > Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.
                            > >
                            > >Who does your web design? Will they do mine?
                            >
                            > hmmm... I do.
                            >
                            > I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather
                            > heavy on java,
                            > generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP
                            > has to support
                            > Microsoft extensions. Not all do.
                            >
                            > Harvey
                            >

                            > >Barry Young
                            > >Young Camera Company
                            > >

                            > >--- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                            > people
                            > >> make
                            > >>
                            > >> www.dragonworks.info
                            > >>
                            > >> Harvey

                            > rail.

                            > >> attaches to this bracket,
                            > >> micro inches is enough

                            > >> dishwasher door when

                            > >> bolt) for a model

                            > >> wire nut that has

                            > >> replace the Nylon one

                            > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Harvey White
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 8 3:27 PM
                              On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:58:15 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                              >Thank you Harvey

                              You're welcome. Feel free to copy the design features if you wish. I
                              can tell you how some of the features were done, if needed.

                              Harvey

                              >--- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
                              >>
                              >> >Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.
                              >>
                              >> Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.
                              >> >
                              >> >Who does your web design? Will they do mine?
                              >>
                              >> hmmm... I do.
                              >>
                              >> I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather
                              >> heavy on java,
                              >> generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP
                              >> has to support
                              >> Microsoft extensions. Not all do.
                              >>
                              >> Harvey
                              >>

                              >> >Barry Young
                              >> >Young Camera Company

                              >> people

                              >> rail.

                              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • peterjensenatl_98
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 8 4:13 PM
                                Thanks to all for the posts!

                                I also have a mini-lathe -- this propeller adapter for a model
                                airplane was mostly done on the lathe, but the slot for the collet
                                part was done very slowly using a dremel cutoff wheel mounted in a
                                1/8" collet on the mill. The photo shows it before I made the nut
                                part on the end pretty; I don't have any recent photos of it, but it
                                does have 15+ flight hours on an electric plane.

                                http://www-gt.diff.net/media/2006_01_22_random/img_8050.htm

                                -Peter
                              • Wayne Peach
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 8 6:54 PM

                                  Harvey White wrote:

                                  On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:14:42 -0000, you wrote:

                                  >> I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
                                  >> using their mills....

                                  I've used my mill, and my 9X20 lathe to make parts for the  airplane that I'm building.  (Full size plane, not a model.)   So far I've made an intake manifold, and adapter to mount a vacuum pump to the back side of an alternator and machined a prop reduction speed drive.  In spite of all the complaints about quality I've had some really good parts produced by these  machines.

                                  Wayne Peach

                                • Charles Walklin
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 8 7:33 PM
                                    Wayne Peach <revpeach@...> wrote:

                                    Harvey White wrote:

                                    > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:14:42 -0000, you wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >> I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
                                    > >> using their mills....

                                    I use my benchtop machinery to make custom fly reels, and they have always been able to do what I ask of them.

                                    Charlie Says "WHEN YOU FIND A FORK IN THE ROAD TAKE IT"

                                  • George Wilson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 8 9:51 PM
                                      I am using my lathe and mill to first convert the mill to cnc with
                                      ballscrews. Then to finish up my 49" X 49" X 6" cnc router then the
                                      tools will be used to build my cirrus ultralight desigh which can be
                                      viewed at http://topgun10tx.tripod.com/home.htm

                                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Peach <revpeach@...>

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 9 3:12 AM
                                        Thanks Harvey

                                        --- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                                        > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:58:15 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
                                        >
                                        > >Thank you Harvey
                                        >
                                        > You're welcome. Feel free to copy the design
                                        > features if you wish. I
                                        > can tell you how some of the features were done, if
                                        > needed.
                                        >
                                        > Harvey
                                        >

                                        > >--- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                                        > >> Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.

                                        > >> hmmm... I do.
                                        > >>
                                        > >> I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather
                                        > >> heavy on java,
                                        > >> generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP
                                        > >> has to support
                                        > >> Microsoft extensions. Not all do.
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Harvey

                                        > >> people

                                        > >> rail.

                                        > (50

                                        > the
                                        > off.

                                        > 3/8"

                                        > the

                                        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Brad Bender
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 9 6:09 AM
                                          My recent projects...

                                          Aluminum adapter plate for a buddy's ceiling mount projector. His $250
                                          universal mount wasn't so universal.

                                          Aluminum HO scale threaded slot car wheels and axles.

                                          Chassis bracing and pillar bracing for my buddy's 1/8 scale RC nitro truggy.

                                          Transmission cover plate for my 1/10 RC nitro monster truck.

                                          Front and rear bumpers for my 1/10 RC nitro monster truck.

                                          Brass spacer / bushing for the clutch bell on buddy's truggy engine.

                                          Brass hammer with replacable striking surfaces with my 5 year old son - he
                                          did most the the work ;)

                                          Those are the last couple months anyway. Don't get as much time with it as
                                          I would like.
                                          Brad

                                          > > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
                                          > > using their mills....

                                          Play Q6 for your chance to WIN great prizes.
                                          http://q6trivia.imagine-live.com/enca/landing