Motor mounting screws coming loose

  • peterjensenatl_98
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 6, 2006
      Folks,
      I just unpacked my Micro Mark mini-mill after a quick in-town move
      and noticed that the motor had completely vibrated loose from the
      motor mount. I'm pretty sure this happened in normal use before the
      move. Putting it back together was not difficult -- I just had to
      remove the four bolts holding the motor mount block, re-mount the
      motor to that plate with the four screws and some blue loctite,
      re-lube the gears w/ white lithium grease, and re-assemble. That
      said, I think it would have been exciting if I hadn't checked the
      security of the motor before turning it on, because it might have
      flopped off and stripped the plastic gear that it's driving. Three of
      the screws had completely come out and dropped down, so it wasn't far
      away. Don't forget to check this next time you're doing regular
      maintenance :)

      Unrelated, but I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
      using their mills, so I thought I'd share some photos of a recent
      project. It's basically nothing other than two blocks of aluminum
      with six holes in each, but I'm using them to make very lightweight
      carbon fiber control horns for model sailplanes. The advantage of
      doing the mold this way as opposed to just making a flat sheet and
      drilling the holes in the cured carbon fiber is that the holes are
      made with a needle before the epoxy cures and are reinforced by some
      extra epoxy where the mold has dimples; this is supposed to lead to a
      stronger bearing surface for the piano wire. The design I'm following
      is from some plans Mark Drela made; I don't have a link to the PDF but
      it has been posted to rcgroups before. The finished product out of
      the mold looks like a flat plate of carbon fiber with four bumps that
      have holes through them; the next step is to cut the horns out to
      shape with proper breathing protection.

      One of the things I learned for good from this project is something
      that's probably obvious to people who don't come from a software
      engineering background -- it's very helpful to "back drill" the tiny
      holes so you're only going through a short thickness of material with
      the tiny drill bits. The ugly hogging on the back of one of those
      pieces is from removing broken drill bits until this sunk in.

      Photos:
      http://www.diff.net/media/2006_06_25_control_horn_mold/

      -Peter

      Not likely to be any ambiguity, but these are the parts referenced to
      the exploded view. The screws (#131) that bolt the motor mount to the
      rectangular part #130 on this diagram were what had come loose:
      http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/Images/82573Parts.pdf
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 6, 2006
        Awesome post Peter. Thank you very much.

        Barry Young
        Young Camera Company

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mike Dodd
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
          > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
          > using their mills....

          Just simple utility stuff, including:

          * A mounting bracket for a telescope dovetail rail.

          * A "back rest" (brace) for the camera that attaches to this bracket,
          becausse it was flexing oh so very slightly (50 micro inches is enough
          to shift the image on the CCD chip).

          * A Delrin thingy to depress the switch in the dishwasher door when
          it's closed. The original plastic one broke off.

          * A Delrin worm gear and worm (made from a 3/8" bolt) for a model
          railroad turntable.

          Lathe only:

          * A turned brass knob for a lamp, to replace the wire nut that has
          been serving for many years. :)

          * A Delrin sleeve for my office chair base, to replace the Nylon one
          that fell apart after 15 years. :)

          Mike Dodd
        • Cletus L. Berkeley
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
            I'm busy scoring points using my mill and lathe!.... Making Fountain Nozzles and other water-feature tid-bits for the Wife's gardening project. She goes to Canada for vacation next month, that's when I intend to bring home the new Motorcycle I purchased today <BIG BIG GRIN>.
            Cheers, Cletus

            Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:
            > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
            > using their mills....

            Just simple utility stuff, including:

            * A mounting bracket for a telescope dovetail rail.

            * A "back rest" (brace) for the camera that attaches to this bracket,
            becausse it was flexing oh so very slightly (50 micro inches is enough
            to shift the image on the CCD chip).

            * A Delrin thingy to depress the switch in the dishwasher door when
            it's closed. The original plastic one broke off.

            * A Delrin worm gear and worm (made from a 3/8" bolt) for a model
            railroad turntable.

            Lathe only:

            * A turned brass knob for a lamp, to replace the wire nut that has
            been serving for many years. :)

            * A Delrin sleeve for my office chair base, to replace the Nylon one
            that fell apart after 15 years. :)

            Mike Dodd

            WITHOUT PREJUDICE
            This electronic transmission is intended for the named reipient(s)only and as such, the information/data contained herein may be deemed proprietary and/or confidential. Should you not be the intended recipient(s), please be advised that any disclosure, photocopying, distribution and/or use of the contents herein is strictly prohibited. Should you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to the sender immediately and destroy any and all information contained herein and all copies thereof.
            All Rights Reserved - TECHNIDYNE - Cletus Berkeley, MIEEE

            Cletus' Webpage - CLICK HERE

          • Harvey White
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
              On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:14:42 -0000, you wrote:

              >> I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
              >> using their mills....

              www.dragonworks.info

              Harvey

              >Just simple utility stuff, including:
              >
              >* A mounting bracket for a telescope dovetail rail.
              >
              >* A "back rest" (brace) for the camera that attaches to this bracket,
              >becausse it was flexing oh so very slightly (50 micro inches is enough
              >to shift the image on the CCD chip).
              >
              >* A Delrin thingy to depress the switch in the dishwasher door when
              >it's closed. The original plastic one broke off.
              >
              >* A Delrin worm gear and worm (made from a 3/8" bolt) for a model
              >railroad turntable.
              >
              >Lathe only:
              >
              >* A turned brass knob for a lamp, to replace the wire nut that has
              >been serving for many years. :)
              >
              >* A Delrin sleeve for my office chair base, to replace the Nylon one
              >that fell apart after 15 years. :)
              >
              >Mike Dodd
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Marcello Giura
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                > > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
                > > using their mills....

                ..and lathes.
                Principally, al replacement parts for the cheap Chinese toys my sons are
                given as presents: most of them are made to last a couple of hours, I've
                kept some in 'playing state' for a couple of years. <grin>
                [gonna expand the shop and look for some skilled help, to face the ever
                increasing customers requests...]
                The other main activity of my home shop lies in the home shop itself:
                machining for the sake of machining.
                ..sometimes, I happen to fix something broken in the house, or car, but not
                very frequently: once in a while, to ensure SWMBO is still well aware of how
                needed it is. <grin again>

                Marcello Giura
                Torino - Italia
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                  Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.

                  Who does your web design? Will they do mine?

                  Barry Young
                  Young Camera Company

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                    Cool mold Peter. Very good idea and execution.

                    I make ultra large format cameras which take film in sizes from 4x10
                    inches up to 20x24 inches. I make the film holders to go with them. I
                    also use my machinery to make parts for lenses and shutters and camera
                    bodies for other large and ultra large format photographers.

                    Barry Young
                    Young Camera Company
                  • Cletus L. Berkeley

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                        Hi Cletus:

                        I sort of have a website.
                        www.cameramaker.com
                        But I absolutely suck at web design, so it is weak.\

                        Barry Young
                        Young Camera Company

                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Cletus L. Berkeley"
                        <cberkeley@...> wrote:

                        > Barry
                        > Do you have a website?..... would sure like to take a look at
                        some of your products.
                        > Cheers, Cletus
                        >
                        > Barry Young <barryjyoung@...>
                        wrote: Cool mold Peter. Very good
                        idea and execution.

                        > I make ultra large format cameras which take film in sizes from
                        4x10
                        > inches up to 20x24 inches. I make the film holders to go with
                        them. I
                        > also use my machinery to make parts for lenses and shutters and
                        camera
                        > bodies for other large and ultra large format photographers.
                        >
                        > Barry Young
                        > Young Camera Company
                        >

                        > WITHOUT PREJUDICE
                        > This electronic transmission is intended for the named
                        reipient(s)only and as such, the information/data contained herein
                        may be deemed proprietary and/or confidential. Should you not be
                        the intended recipient(s), please be advised that any disclosure,
                        photocopying, distribution and/or use of the contents herein is
                        strictly prohibited. Should you have received this e-mail in error,
                        please reply to the sender immediately and destroy any and all
                        information contained herein and all copies thereof.
                        > All Rights Reserved - TECHNIDYNE - Cletus Berkeley, MIEEE
                        >
                        > Cletus' Webpage - CLICK HERE

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                          Repairing broken toys is stooring up trouble for the
                          future. Mine were inconsolable when informed that the
                          favourite toy was beyond repair after several previous
                          repairs. "but daddy you can mend anything" and SWMBO
                          joins in with, "well you did fix it before". So be
                          warned you are on a looser.

                          --- Marcello Giura <m.giura@...> wrote:

                          > > > I've often wondered what sorts of things people
                          > make
                          > > > using their mills....
                          >
                          > ..and lathes.
                          > Principally, al replacement parts for the cheap
                          > Chinese toys my sons are
                          > given as presents: most of them are made to last a
                          > couple of hours, I've
                          > kept some in 'playing state' for a couple of years.
                          > <grin>
                          > [gonna expand the shop and look for some skilled
                          > help, to face the ever
                          > increasing customers requests...]
                          > The other main activity of my home shop lies in the
                          > home shop itself:
                          > machining for the sake of machining.
                          > ..sometimes, I happen to fix something broken in the
                          > house, or car, but not
                          > very frequently: once in a while, to ensure SWMBO is
                          > still well aware of how
                          > needed it is. <grin again>
                          >
                          > Marcello Giura
                          > Torino - Italia

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Harvey White
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                            On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                            >Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.

                            Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.

                            >Who does your web design? Will they do mine?

                            hmmm... I do.

                            I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather heavy on java,
                            generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP has to support
                            Microsoft extensions. Not all do.

                            Harvey

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                              Thank you Harvey

                              --- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                              > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
                              >
                              > >Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.
                              >
                              > Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.
                              > >
                              > >Who does your web design? Will they do mine?
                              >
                              > hmmm... I do.
                              >
                              > I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather
                              > heavy on java,
                              > generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP
                              > has to support
                              > Microsoft extensions. Not all do.
                              >
                              > Harvey
                              >

                              > >Barry Young
                              > >Young Camera Company
                              > >

                              > >--- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                              > people
                              > >> make
                              > >>
                              > >> www.dragonworks.info
                              > >>
                              > >> Harvey

                              > rail.

                              > >> attaches to this bracket,
                              > >> micro inches is enough

                              > >> dishwasher door when

                              > >> bolt) for a model

                              > >> wire nut that has

                              > >> replace the Nylon one

                              > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Harvey White
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:58:15 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                >Thank you Harvey

                                You're welcome. Feel free to copy the design features if you wish. I
                                can tell you how some of the features were done, if needed.

                                Harvey

                                >--- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
                                >>
                                >> >Awesome Harvey!!! Very cool projects.
                                >>
                                >> Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.
                                >> >
                                >> >Who does your web design? Will they do mine?
                                >>
                                >> hmmm... I do.
                                >>
                                >> I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather
                                >> heavy on java,
                                >> generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP
                                >> has to support
                                >> Microsoft extensions. Not all do.
                                >>
                                >> Harvey
                                >>

                                >> >Barry Young
                                >> >Young Camera Company

                                >> people

                                >> rail.

                                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • peterjensenatl_98
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                  Thanks to all for the posts!

                                  I also have a mini-lathe -- this propeller adapter for a model
                                  airplane was mostly done on the lathe, but the slot for the collet
                                  part was done very slowly using a dremel cutoff wheel mounted in a
                                  1/8" collet on the mill. The photo shows it before I made the nut
                                  part on the end pretty; I don't have any recent photos of it, but it
                                  does have 15+ flight hours on an electric plane.

                                  http://www-gt.diff.net/media/2006_01_22_random/img_8050.htm

                                  -Peter
                                • Wayne Peach
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006

                                    Harvey White wrote:

                                    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:14:42 -0000, you wrote:

                                    >> I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
                                    >> using their mills....

                                    I've used my mill, and my 9X20 lathe to make parts for the  airplane that I'm building.  (Full size plane, not a model.)   So far I've made an intake manifold, and adapter to mount a vacuum pump to the back side of an alternator and machined a prop reduction speed drive.  In spite of all the complaints about quality I've had some really good parts produced by these  machines.

                                    Wayne Peach

                                  • Charles Walklin
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                      Wayne Peach <revpeach@...> wrote:

                                      Harvey White wrote:

                                      > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:14:42 -0000, you wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >> I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
                                      > >> using their mills....

                                      I use my benchtop machinery to make custom fly reels, and they have always been able to do what I ask of them.

                                      Charlie Says "WHEN YOU FIND A FORK IN THE ROAD TAKE IT"

                                    • George Wilson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                        I am using my lathe and mill to first convert the mill to cnc with
                                        ballscrews. Then to finish up my 49" X 49" X 6" cnc router then the
                                        tools will be used to build my cirrus ultralight desigh which can be
                                        viewed at http://topgun10tx.tripod.com/home.htm

                                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Peach <revpeach@...>

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 9, 2006
                                          Thanks Harvey

                                          --- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                                          > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:58:15 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >Thank you Harvey
                                          >
                                          > You're welcome. Feel free to copy the design
                                          > features if you wish. I
                                          > can tell you how some of the features were done, if
                                          > needed.
                                          >
                                          > Harvey
                                          >

                                          > >--- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

                                          > >> Thanks, feel free to look for ideas.

                                          > >> hmmm... I do.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> I happen to use Frontpage 2002, which is rather
                                          > >> heavy on java,
                                          > >> generates unwieldy code, but does work. Your ISP
                                          > >> has to support
                                          > >> Microsoft extensions. Not all do.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> Harvey

                                          > >> people

                                          > >> rail.

                                          > (50

                                          > the
                                          > off.

                                          > 3/8"

                                          > the

                                          > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Brad Bender
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 9, 2006
                                            My recent projects...

                                            Aluminum adapter plate for a buddy's ceiling mount projector. His $250
                                            universal mount wasn't so universal.

                                            Aluminum HO scale threaded slot car wheels and axles.

                                            Chassis bracing and pillar bracing for my buddy's 1/8 scale RC nitro truggy.

                                            Transmission cover plate for my 1/10 RC nitro monster truck.

                                            Front and rear bumpers for my 1/10 RC nitro monster truck.

                                            Brass spacer / bushing for the clutch bell on buddy's truggy engine.

                                            Brass hammer with replacable striking surfaces with my 5 year old son - he
                                            did most the the work ;)

                                            Those are the last couple months anyway. Don't get as much time with it as
                                            I would like.
                                            Brad

                                            > > I've often wondered what sorts of things people make
                                            > > using their mills....

                                            Play Q6 for your chance to WIN great prizes.
                                            http://q6trivia.imagine-live.com/enca/landing